2013 FJR Pricing Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I thought D&H was selling their FJRs for more than 2 grand less than MSRP. When I was looking for a new 2008, I was thinking their price was $11,999. I think the MSRP was around $15,000 at that time. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. (Which happens now and then) I just though they had them marked down lower than that.

GP
Maybe they found that they could still sell bikes with less mark down.

www.seedealercost.com

They want you to register but you don't have to, just select powersports, enter (any) zip code, and choose manufacturer.

They don't have the '13 FJR price up yet, but '12 was MSRP $15590 Invoice $13644.

You could perhaps use this as a baseline/do a percentage so you know ballpark what they can do.

Right now the new one is probably selling well so less incentive to "make a deal". #0004 at my local dealer is already sold, but if you have an idea what they're into them for and you got everything ready to buy, who knows? I always try to give my local dealer the business first, but I also always do my homework before I walk in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to sell motorcycles for a few years. Typically 10 to 12% percent is a good discount. Dealers sometimes on an overstocked bike might have to go a little more but will have to make it up on the freight & set up costs to make a profit. I am surprised they are dealing on a new short supplied unit at all. We all want the best deal possible but it costs a ton of money to run a dealership.

Gorgeous George, for those of us living in Greater Phoenix Metropolitan area it isn't a matter of competitiveness it's the fact all of the Yamaha shops within a 50 mile radius are a pack of fucking mentally impaired idiots who shouldn't work on motorcycles!

Honest to God Jorge, I'd no more trust my FJR to these Arizona nincompoops than trust Bustanut joker around a sheep pen or RadioHowie next to a Manatee aquarium! Tucson and Flagstaff are no better, they're still owned by Ride Now AZ Moron Bastards.

There's only one trusted Yamaha shop in the entire state and that's The Cycle Center of Casa Grande, 65 miles away from mi Casa. Small work I do myself, SkooterG does my medium work and Kendall our Trusted Mechanic does the valves on Miss Lucy Liu!

Give your local dealer the opportunity to earn your business. If they aren't interested in being competitive then they have no one to blame but themselves. How competitive...that is up to you.

--G
https://www.dandhcycle.com/contact.html Papa Chuy Viejo just got off of the phone with Jerold and Renaa of D and H Cycle of Cullman, Alabama. They have already sold two 2013 FJR's and they have deposits for one in December and one in January, they have one arriving in February that does not yet have a deposit on it!

The Details are $14,299 out the door with an additional $389 for the Yamaha Extended Warranty. A $500 deposit is required to reserve a 2013 FJR with remaining full payment required at pick up. After seeing Fairlaner's FJR on Sunday and AKjitsu's 2013 last night, $500 is burning a god damn hole in my fecking pockets!

FYI GE Money Bank / Yamaha card is offering 2.9% financing on FJR's right now.

For those of us who dont have 16k laying around.

If you use those things, make sure you don't violate any of the clauses, otherwise they will make their yearly profits out of your wallet...so I've heard from intardweb scare stories.

If you use those things, make sure you don't violate any of the clauses, otherwise they will make their yearly profits out of your wallet...so I've heard from intardweb scare stories.
Thats true of ANY financing deals (car, credit card, etc). The violations that would cause this deal to be expensive is a late or missed payment. If you arent late or miss a payment, 2.9% is very cheap money for a bike. Autopay FTW!

Well, I asked my dealer for a quote and he said he'd be right back in touch. That was last Wednesday and still haven't heard back. Will give him another call tomorrow when they're open and see if they're interested or not. otherwise I'll start shopping different dealers.

Wow. I thought D&H was selling their FJRs for more than 2 grand less than MSRP. When I was looking for a new 2008, I was thinking their price was $11,999. I think the MSRP was around $15,000 at that time. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. (Which happens now and then) I just though they had them marked down lower than that.

GP
That information is correct. I saved over 2K from what the local dealer wanted and they wouldn't budge on price.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Best price (real) that's I've seen in Canada is my not so local dealer - $17,299 OTD + HST (13%).

Which.. is accountants way of saying I'm passing on the new one. For the nearly $3G's difference betwen up here and Cullmans... well, that's a mighty fine road trip or two and a bunch of mods.

well that was a fail from my primary dealer. only offered $350 off plus had all kinds of additional fees. time to start making calls.

On another front, i just test rode a BMW K1600GT. Sweet! But PRICEY!

The trick is getting ANY dealer to come off of MSRP. Then, if they agree to it, deciding if the cost difference between what you could get locally vs somewhere else + your own transportation costs getting there + traveling costs (hotel, gas, food, etc if appropriate) are worth it.

IMHO, at the end of the day, for a new gen bike, I think its going to be tough finding a dealer to come down much off of MSRP. For those who arent itching to get one, it'd probably be better to wait a year or two.

well that was a fail from my primary dealer. only offered $350 off plus had all kinds of additional fees. time to start making calls.

On another front, i just test rode a BMW K1600GT. Sweet! But PRICEY!

So, it sounds like D&H in Alabama is still the best priced dealer in the country right now.

The trick is getting ANY dealer to come off of MSRP. Then, if they agree to it, deciding if the cost difference between what you could get locally vs somewhere else + your own transportation costs getting there + traveling costs (hotel, gas, food, etc if appropriate) are worth it.

IMHO, at the end of the day, for a new gen bike, I think its going to be tough finding a dealer to come down much off of MSRP. For those who arent itching to get one, it'd probably be better to wait a year or two.
Agree but a few dealers are drastically coming off MSRP... like the very popular mentioned; D&H in Cullman, AL

Some want a local dealer understandably but the fly n drive has worked for a lot of peeps here, JSES

I don't think the service side knows or cares about where I bought the bike, they make their living servicing bikes, and are always glad to have another customer.
Jim, I know this is true! I've made a point of becoming very good friends with the service crew at my dealership via Large tips to anyone who even looks at my bike. They don't know nor do they care where the bike was bought. To them, it's another sick bike that has a happy owner when they're done. :)
From experience at my former employer (a cpa firm), I have seen the books of many auto dealers. I am sure motorcycle dealers have similiar results. F&I is the most profitable. Followed by used vehicles, then service, then parts, and lastly new sales. So to sum it up, any service department will be tickled silly to do your service work. They make money off each hour worked and part sold and at very high margins. Probably the key to getting any perks (like moving up in the servicing queue or having a questionable call done under warranty, etc) is having a good relationship with that service department manager.

If there's a few hundred dollars difference between dealers then I'd stay with my local guy. Afterall, I've bought 2 new bikes from him already. However, if it's $1000+ and a few hundred miles away then my local guy is out of luck.