2013 FJR - Replacing the Oil Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last guy either forgot to lube the o-ring on the filter or else used a torque wrench to put it on. ;)

I've never felt a need for a torque wrench on either the filter or drain plug. But, YMMV

i find that most of the torque values in the shop manual are scarey high. I used to use a torque wrench on everything, but always panicked when the torque felt too tight and the wrench still hadn't clicked. Now i only use the torque wrench for the rear axle nut, the T-bar nuts, and the front fork pinch bolts..everything else, I tighten by "feel".

two pages for this???
fool.gif

Flame on my friends....I deserve it. Friggin' oil change no less!

Last edited by a moderator:
Flame on my friends....I deserve it. Friggin' oil change no less!
It's not your fault, previous tech tightened it too tight.

Me, I do what others do to snug tight it, and get the filter off with a clamping oil filter wrench...

Oh yeah, FJRTech is your friend (and mine)

My guess would be shop monkey spun the filter on without oiling the gasket.

Then it sticks to the mating surface and makes it tough to remove.

Like Wheatie said, not your fault.

Yeah, I went there (FJRTech) and find the info very much appreciated from myself.

I put it on hand tight, like I do on the cars. I don't understand torquing an oil filter....really, I don't.

I don't mind the flamin' , really I don't. Hell, if someone posted what I posted I would think " Man, what an idiot! He's going to get his flame on now!". One never knows when it is his turn to be the idiot. :)

On another note, anyone having issues with the pages loading slow now? If not, I'll check it on my side.

Got one, it just spun around. Thanks.

My apologies for sending it to NEPRT.

It's a spin on filter. Use the same force that you'd use to change the one in your car. Tight, but not tight enough that you'll have trouble getting it off again. It does get a little tighter with repeated heat cycles over the life of an oil change. If you're concerned it's not tight enough, look at it occasionally. It's not as if you wouldn't notice a massive oil leak should it not be tight enough.

And in the unlikely event it was leaking? Tighten it more.

As with every other oil filter on the planet...Tighten until the gasket makes full contact, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn by hand. My filter came off with ease on Sunday...Just like it always does. None have ever leaked a drop!

Guys, the filters have an o- ring gasket, not a flat one like on car filters. Unless, of course you are using car filters
uhoh.gif
If you are using genuine Yamaha filters, tighten until the filter body contacts the engine surface and STOP! Further tightening will do nothing. The o-ring is compressed as much as it is going to be. I do this at oil changes and still have to use a big channel lock to get it loosened.

I'm too cheap to buy the proper tool for a filter removal. But I am practical. I just punch a phillips screwdriver into it and turn it loose that way. Easy Peasy It's not like it's going to get re-used.

So all this talk of not reusing filters make me wonder.... doesn't the manual mention the fact that the filter can be used a second time ? I am sure there is a ton of info if I do a forum search.

So all this talk of not reusing filters make me wonder.... doesn't the manual mention the fact that the filter can be used a second time ? I am sure there is a ton of info if I do a forum search.
Yup. Or to be more precise, it says to only remove the filer every 2nd oil change, which is exactly what I do, except I generally use a Purolator automotive filter instead of the Yamaha. There is absolutely no point in removing a filter if you'll be using it for a second oil change. Then when you do remove it you can mutilate that filter to your heart's content. ;)