2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
me thinks James Dean Memorial on Hwy 41
Looking like that might be the ticket. Then up over Tehachapi? If they were going to El Lay, the guy in front probably would have stayed on I-5.

Wonder what the guy is doing out in Arroyo Grande?

Some pictures taken using my cell phone this morning and then uploaded to my blog along with a few words.
The dashboards of IBR 2013.

https://motorcyclewanderings.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-dashboards-of-ibr-2013.html

Hope you enjoy it.
smile.png
police officer "do you know how fast your were going?" IBR rider looking at his dashboard "umm, just a minute, I think I had that bit here somewhere."

Some pictures taken using my cell phone this morning and then uploaded to my blog along with a few words.

https://motorcyclewanderings.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-dashboards-of-ibr-2013.html

Hope you enjoy it.
smile.png
police officer "do you know how fast your were going?" IBR rider looking at his dashboard "umm, just a minute, I think I had that bit here somewhere."
Had a similar conversation with the Rally Mistress this morning.

Policeman - "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

IBR Rider with a huge sheepish grin!- "Yep! I know EXACTLY why you pulled me over!"

Took a ton of photos (what a suprise!)... you can see all of them here.

Saturday night before the riders came in...
DSC_7127-XL.jpg

DSC_7140-XL.jpg

Look at the woman's face coming out the door... :lol:
DSC_7143-XL.jpg

DSC_7144-XL.jpg

Even Reno John surfaced...
DSC_7162-XL.jpg

Finally got to meet Ms. Voni Glaves... :rad:
DSC_7150-XL.jpg

Sunday the peanut gallery started rolling in...
DSC_7151-XL.jpg

DSC_7163-XL.jpg

DSC_7188-XL.jpg

DSC_7249-XL.jpg

DSC_7303-XL.jpg

DSC_7161-XL.jpg

And we even were treated to some entertainment while waiting...
DSC_7273-XL.jpg

A little something I whipped up for Wendy...
DSC_7172-XL.jpg

And a message that Bust asked me to deliver to his buddy, Tony aka 101stpathfinder...
TR-Tony-XL.jpg

Chris Purney was one of the early birds...
DSC_7178-XL.jpg

And got right to changing a tire... while everyone else I'm sure gave him supportive and helpful comments... :D
DSC_7190-XL.jpg

Just a few bugs were killed along the way...
DSC_7181-XL.jpg

Hope you enjoy it.
smile.png
Well, except for the Ninja 250 rider, who appears to be competing with the exact same setup I use on my Versys, i.e. a Zumo 660.

Future IBR rider...
DSC_7202-XL.jpg

Dick Peek, aka Go Far, a past IBR participant many times over... and a very nice guy...
DSC_7198-XL.jpg

Sam/puppychow was one of the official meet-&-greet folks who welcomed the riders in and gave them instructions on where to go and what to do when they got there - gotcha Sam!!
DSC_7206-XL.jpg

DSC_7301-XL.jpg

DSC_7319-XL.jpg

Wendy, aka Bionic Pelvis...
DSC_7364-XL.jpg

DSC_7210-XL.jpg

DSC_7314-XL.jpg

The Victory Vision looks like a space ship!
DSC_7222-XL.jpg

DSC_7226-XL.jpg

DSC_7239-XL.jpg

The true test of a relationship... two-up for 11 days and thousands of miles...
DSC_7323-XL.jpg

Overall, folks seemed mostly in good spirits... a little grimy, sweaty, and odiferous... but still in good spirits...
DSC_7221-XL.jpg

DSC_7231-XL.jpg

DSC_7307-XL.jpg

DSC_7373-XL.jpg

Mostly...
wink.png

DSC_7267-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is Mr. Dick PEEK, not Meeks. Hopefully I can shake his hand and say hello someday.

Now that's some lighting!
DSC_7401-XL.jpg

Yes, that's a lit cigarette in his mouth...
DSC_7412-XL.jpg

Matt, aka Ignacio, and the paparazzi...
DSC_7380-XL.jpg

There was a huge round of applause as the small but mighty Ninja 250 arrived before the penalty time frame...
DSC_7400-XL.jpg

Coming in just under the penalty time window, several bikes came roaring in practically sideways to get the kickstand down and stop the clock on their ride...
DSC_7406-XL.jpg

Do NOT get in the way!!
DSC_7420-XL.jpg

DSC_7421-XL.jpg

Early shot of the parking lot...
DSC_7248-XL.jpg

And a couple of hours later....
DSC_7441-XL.jpg

And of course a flurry of activity from technical supporters as the bikes rolled in...
DSC_7247-XL.jpg

DSC_7433-XL.jpg

DSC_7435-XL.jpg

Iron butt cockpits...
DSC_7332-XL.jpg

DSC_7338-XL.jpg

DSC_7446-XL.jpg

Iron butt attire...
DSC_7370-XL.jpg

DSC_7390-XL.jpg

DSC_7396-XL.jpg

Dinner with the gang...
DSC_7350-XL.jpg

When we came out, the paramedics were there to attend to a rider who was suffering from dehydration and heat stroke... he got a ride to the hospital... haven't heard about his current situation but hoping he's just fine once he gets some fluids and rest...
DSC_7354-XL.jpg

Mascots...
DSC_7304-XL.jpg

DSC_7261-XL.jpg

DSC_7346-XL.jpg

Memories...
DSC_7436-XL.jpg

DSC_7165-XL.jpg

Had a fantastic time and am back in the office, hitting that refresh button on a regular basis until all the riders are safe and sound back in Pittsburgh... I'm hooked. ;)

When we came out, the paramedics were there to attend to a rider who was suffering from dehydration and heat stroke... he got a ride to the hospital... haven't heard about his current situation but hoping he's just fine once he gets some fluids and rest...
Had a fantastic time and am back in the office, hitting that refresh button on a regular basis until all the riders are safe and sound back in Pittsburgh... I'm hooked.
wink.png
The rider was out this morning. I thought he was riding to Pittsburgh. I was mistaken. I am told he DNF'ed.

So Tyler, when is your first SS1K? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those just following this thread - Mark Starrett posted up for help Below

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/153361-ibr-fjr-rider-needs-assistance-bay-area/

IBR FJR Rider needs assistance - Bay AreaI discovered this morning that my rear brake had gone soft. Stopped at home to check it and my rear caliper is badly damaged. Anyone have access to a rear caliper in the bay area that could loan/sell it to me? I'm in Fremont CA. call me at 510 585-6754

Mark Starrett

Great pics, Tyler!

Update on the rider who was transported yesterday. He was back in the parking lot today, looking much better. From his comments he is a multi time IBR rider and didn't seem too disappointed by the DNF.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/153361-ibr-fjr-rider-needs-assistance-bay-area/

IBR FJR Rider needs assistance - Bay AreaI discovered this morning that my rear brake had gone soft. Stopped at home to check it and my rear caliper is badly damaged. Anyone have access to a rear caliper in the bay area that could loan/sell it to me? I'm in Fremont CA. call me at 510 585-6754

Mark Starrett
Mark has a "05" FJR, not sure if it's abs.

Mark Starrett
Mark has a "05" FJR, not sure if it's abs.
His profile shows FJR1300A - which I believe denotes ABS.

Great pics, Tyler! You guys out west have done a great job on CP coverage and it is much appreciated.

I spent a great deal of time on the phone with a friend out west who was at the checkpoint catching up, I was watching the spot track and telling him where the riders were and he was coming up with possible bonus locations, it was great fun. I can hardly wait for the finish now!

Hody jeebus it's 120 in Death valley and riders are crossing it.

Gives me the shivers...

I'm a bit surprised to see so many riders in and around big cities at this time of day, but maybe they are going against the heaviest flow, I'd think they just get into the worst of it on the other side, but... I guess you go where you think the points are for you and your ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.