2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the look of the start in Leg 3 - riders scattering to all points of the compass rather than everyone on the same basic two tracks as in Leg 2. Great story about the two hearty (and heady) individuals who figured out that they could get Pikes Peak AND all of the Pony Express bonii, but overall there wasn't a lot of variation.

With the constant randomizing of tracking numbers it may be a little tough to figure out themes in this leg, but as the riders spread out it might be possible just based on geographic separation.

I'm pulling for the FJR brethren (and sisterethen) but at the checkpoint I was really in awe of the guys riding the "unusual" rides - FazerPhil of course who rose up in the standing to #22 on his Gen1 FZ1, and of course the guys on the XBR500, the XS1100 and the Ninja 250 - if I had any say in things (which of course I do not) I'd be inclined to offer bonus points on a sliding scale to riders who ride the rally on more austere (and ancient) machines...

So - did we ever figure out who the madman was that took Jungo Road and then rode across the desert?
laugh.png
I haven't. Was suggested it may have been Bob Lilley. Possibility. Could be anyone really. They made awesome time and the road must have been in great shape, which isn't something you can always count on out there!

Too much fun here. I wonder if leg 3 includes BB2, BB5, and BB6 (and maybe BB8), with maybe a big bonus for getting all 7? According to Wiki 4005 is in Denver, 4014 in Pamona, 4017 is in Green Bay, and 4018 is in Dallas.

"Wonder if the guy heading north on I-5 has his GPS turned on?"

If I were a betting man, I would lay my money on it being Sal.

Too much fun here. I wonder if leg 3 includes BB2, BB5, and BB6 (and maybe BB8), with maybe a big bonus for getting all 7? According to Wiki 4005 is in Denver, 4014 in Pamona, 4017 is in Green Bay, and 4018 is in Dallas.
Hmmm....Where's my magic decoder ring?

Ok. Maybe I am an idiot, but I have no idea what BB stands for, or for that matter 4005 etc.

Don in Coos Bay

Woke up late this afternoon
smile.png

The apparent "scattering" of the riders at the start of this leg is very different to the two previous legs. Add to that the fact that the points values usually increase, then there is scope for some epic rises in the rankings, and some disastrous fails (yeah, I know, none of them are failures).

Riders who didn't achieve everything they hoped for on the second leg are not out of the decent standings, and those who are handily placed now need to keep a lookout in their rearview mirrors. Some managed to put a modest first leg behind them, and a strong finish could be on the cards for them.

I can only sit here and marvel at the two guys out ahead ... They out-planned the bonus planner and his experienced help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Maybe I am an idiot, but I have no idea what BB stands for, or for that matter 4005 etc.

Don in Coos Bay
Big Boy locomotives, largest steam locomotives built

upst7.jpg

BB stands for Big Boy. These are from the bonus listings.

Meet the Big Boy, the largest successful locomotive engine ever created. They were builtfor one purpose and one purpose alone: to pull large tonnage over the 1.55% continuous

grade up Sherman Hill in the Wasatch mountain region just east of Ogden Utah. Each

Big Boy with its tender weighed 1,208,750 lb.

Don in Coos Bay
BB = Big Boy, it's a steam locomotive. 4005 is the engine number.

Sure hope the points are worth the time those folks are using in San Fransico. Traffic can be brutal around there.

Borrowed pic from Bugnatr, but this guy, Robert, was having an issue with his gearbox and returning to Sacramento earlier today. Not sure if any of you in that area could help the guy. This was posted to LDRider earlier today, but I could email his friend who posted and try to get you hooked up with him.

Long shot, but worth taking:

IMG_1556_zpsbfa5f2bc.jpg

Don in Coos Bay
on leg 1 bonus listing BB4 was Big Boy 4012. On leg 2 bonus listing BB1 was Big Boy 4004, BB3 was big boy 4006, and BB7 was Big Boy 4023. If you look at the bonus listing numbering system they tend to be numerical order, more or less, and therefor the Pony Express bonus points were PE01 thru PE34. The bonus listing numbers fort he Big boys in leg 1 and 2 did not correlate with the locomotive number so I'm assuming that leg 3 will have bonus listings for more of the Big Boys.

BB stands for Big Boy. These are from the bonus listings.

Meet the Big Boy, the largest successful locomotive engine ever created. They were built

for one purpose and one purpose alone: to pull large tonnage over the 1.55% continuous

grade up Sherman Hill in the Wasatch mountain region just east of Ogden Utah. Each

Big Boy with its tender weighed 1,208,750 lb.
Just for scale...that weight is equal to approximately 30 - 35 loaded Semi-trucks.

The bonus listing numbers fort he Big boys in leg 1 and 2 did not correlate with the locomotive number so I'm assuming that leg 3 will have bonus listings for more of the Big Boys.
And maybe (??!!!?!) a super-bonus for grabbing them all? Something you would not have been able to know about during leg 1, and might have suspected the possibility of when there were more on leg 2 but it's too late now.

I don't even know if it's possible geographically to get them all.

EDIT: I would say no, because the 4 not listed in the first 2 legs are Pomona, Denver, Green Bay, and Dallas. The three listed on leg 2 were only 100-ish points each, probably skipped over.

It would be beyond heartlessly cruel to put a 20,000 point bonus on getting all 8.
weirdsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The bonus listing numbers fort he Big boys in leg 1 and 2 did not correlate with the locomotive number so I'm assuming that leg 3 will have bonus listings for more of the Big Boys.
And maybe (??!!!?!) a super-bonus for grabbing them all? Something you would not have been able to know about during leg 1, and might have suspected the possibility of when there were more on leg 2 but it's too late now.

I don't even know if it's possible geographically to get them all.
And I don't think any previous BR has ever had a bonus bonus or super bonus based on getting listings in more than one leg without lettingthe riders know up front. Still, the listing numbers in leg 1 and 2 for the big boys is a head scratcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.