2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New updated Bob Higdon Report.....

It appears Chris Purney *may* be a DNF at 183 points shy, or he *just* made Finisher by 183 points.... won't know until tonight, WHAT A TEASE, BOB!!!!!!
weirdsmiley.gif

WOW.....just WOW

That was quite the rally. I think the four guys I had been rooting for may have done alright, but I feel quite bummed for those who have been time barred. What stellar efforts....and oohhh sooo close. I tip my lid (hat) to all who rode in this grand event. Such a display of internal fortitude.

I will have to say though, although I haven't rooted for him in the past, I'd be a cold hearted bastard if I don't pull for Meese to win in '15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another word of thanks from the peanut gallery. Really appreciated the banter here.
Got me thinking...I reckon there's lights and a seat in my Gen 1's future and a rally or three.

I'll probably leave the IBR for the Bog Dogs though. Quite the accomplishment.
There is an AWESOME rally just south of you next month... and it has a "Beginner's Class".... go for it!!

The 2013 Big Sky Rally - "Into The Unknown"!

MontanaMap.jpg
I'm gonna ride up and do this one as my first rally. I've thought about it for a while, might as well jump in and go for it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Rally with you all. I was heartbroken for all those who got so close and fell short.

Thanks for sharing the bandwidth with us. Is there an address we can send a donation to help pay our way?

As for this George Zelenz, he's a very pretty man!

Another word of thanks from the peanut gallery. Really appreciated the banter here.
Got me thinking...I reckon there's lights and a seat in my Gen 1's future and a rally or three.

I'll probably leave the IBR for the Bog Dogs though. Quite the accomplishment.
There is an AWESOME rally just south of you next month... and it has a "Beginner's Class".... go for it!!

The 2013 Big Sky Rally - "Into The Unknown"!

MontanaMap.jpg
I'm gonna ride up and do this one as my first rally. I've thought about it for a while, might as well jump in and go for it.
Go for it! My wife and I did our first back in May, the Mason Dixon 20/20 and had a blast! We're planning on signing up for the Void rally in October. We both recognize the IBR is out of our league but what a great way to get introduced to the style of riding and the folks involved.

We passed the Binja in Ohio. I was marveling at the fact that we are in our cage headed for Maine, passing a variety of different bikes. There are few people on the road that recognize what an accomplishment riding that Ninja on this rally is!

We honked and made a sign. It took a few seconds to get his attention, but he rewarded our efforts with a big smile!

Maybe feel great.

Rock on and hats off to all riders!

Ken Meese' wife has posted.

He is in hospital with a broken collarbone, and a few cracked ribs. He is much less severely injured than last time, and is cheerful.

He reported that the back end of the bike went "squirrely", then dumped him.

If the guy didn't have bad luck, he's have no luck at all!!

I feel bummed for Scott Thornton! To endure all of that and come up a measly 237 points short! Makes me wonder if he hadn't lost his camera how well he could've done. Congratulations anyway on making it home safely. That in itself is more than most of us are likely to ever do in an event like this.

New updated Bob Higdon Report.....
It appears Chris Purney *may* be a DNF at 183 points shy, or he *just* made Finisher by 183 points.... won't know until tonight, WHAT A TEASE, BOB!!!!!!
weirdsmiley.gif
If he's short, I think they ought to award him the 183 points for allowing them to use him to frustrate the heck out of all us!!

Damn. Two front runners and contenders dumped by their bike's squirrel-ly rear end. Wishing Ken a full and speedy recovery. Fortunate that neither of Eric's and Ken's mishaps were too serious. Ken does seem like he has fared better than 2 years ago, if that is any consolation at all. Hope they both feel better and recover fully soon.

Considering all this, I am glad Iggy battled and nursed that shot rear shock and vibrating rear-end and scalloped and worn out rear tire and made it to the barn safely. You could see that relief on his face as he was pulling off his helmet.

Hats off to everyone who dared to endeavor in this rally. Well done and Bravo!

Damn. Two front runners and contenders dumped by their bike's squirrel-ly rear end. Wishing Ken a full and speedy recovery. Fortunate that neither of Eric's and Ken's mishaps were too serious. Ken does seem like he has fared better than 2 years ago, if that is any consolation at all. Hope they both feel better and recover fully soon.
Considering all this, I am glad Iggy battled and nursed that shot rear shock and vibrating rear-end and scalloped and worn out rear tire and made it to the barn safely. You could see that relief on his face as he was pulling off his helmet.

Hats off to everyone who dared to endeavor in this rally. Well done and Bravo!
well said puppychow ...

Thanks again to all for the commentary and insights, Now that the rally is over and all that remains is if the final report, what do I do to occupy my time beside ride my beast?

Normal existence will seem so mundane compared to what these guys and gals went through.

Status
Not open for further replies.