2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think those guys were spending time running around the AMA Hall of Fame trying to get pictures with certain bikes?
biggrin.png

ok....has anyone else looked at that pic of the Honda with the old style "racing" fairing and thought "Lapchick the Mad Hungarian" from "Gumball Rally"?
That's Robert, forget his last name. Very nice guy. He's German, but I think told me he's living in Belgium now. There's some outstanding folks from abroad this year. Ian McPhee, The Cudlin's, among many others. We are so fortunate to get a chance to meet these folks and hear their experiences in the US.

His bike passed tech, but Warchild had a few 'suggestions' on some of the wiring.
I was just commenting on the look of the bike. Really funny charecter in that old movie. His bike reminded me of the one in the movie. I just hope he doesn't end up in a tree or launching into the Pacific like the Mad Hungarian!!

no.gif

The last of the five northern riders just passing my location, fun to watch from an overpass.

I hate to say it but I would guess that the spot tracker in Hershey is probably Larry Meeker's bike.
If you switch to satellite view and zoom in it seems to be sitting in an auto repair shop...and it has a flat bed tow truck sitting outside so it could easily have been the folks that were called to take care of his bike.

And I got the info about Larry's accident from the official Iron Butt report.

The one by Flint is interesting though. Zoom in on that view and it shows sitting on the freeway right in front of a rest area.

I've been having fun zooming in and guessing some of the bonus locations. One seemed to be an inclined railway. I was thinking though that the one in Pittsburgh would have been a MUCH more evil version of that bonus. From what I remember of the area it would be a BEAR to get to in traffic in any kind of timely mannor.
I'm a bit behind in my reading, but to be up to IBR cruelty standards wouldn't you probably need to combine visiting the two surviving Pittsburgh inclined planes (out of the original 23), Duquesne Inclined Plane and Monongahela Incline Plane, with a visit to the Johnstown Inclined Plane into one bonus. As far as I know there are no markers for the 21 dismantled Pittsburgh inclined planes so incorporating them into a bonus is probably impractical.

Destination_Pittsburgh_DuquesneIncline_CreditiStock_DwightNadig.jpg

Duquesne Inclined Plane

Incline21.JPG

Monongahela Inclined Planes (passenger & freight)

slideshow_001.jpg

Johnstown Incline Plane
When I zoomed in on the satellite view I saw a couple riders parked by the Johnstown Incline. I think if the rally masters had wanted to be truely EVIL they would have included the one in Pittsburgh (and they may have <shrug>) From what little driving I have done in Pittsburgh that one would have been a BEAR to get to and from in any kind of timely mannor with the crazy traffic there!

Rolling towards St. Louis, eh? Perhaps they have to document a ride on the miniature train at the Museum of Transportation? Looks like a 20 minute time sink.

Edit: Nevermind. The Museum closes at 4:00 PM. As that is in little over half an hour, and the nearest bike is an hour away...highly doubt that they can make it. Might be something outside worth documenting?

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of riders stopping at Green Lawn Cemetery in Columbus. Rickenbacker is my guess
Yep.
No concrete corn cobs?

wadda jip.
Well, they are gonna have to get back to Pittsburgh in a week, so you never know...

Dunno what concrete corn cobs have to do with planes, trains and automobiles, though.

Otherwise, there's always the 2015 IBR...
They turn corn into ethanol, which they add to fuel for automobiles?

When will the riders start arriving in Pittsburgh? I'd like to stop by and see some of the bikes roll in.

When will the riders start arriving in Pittsburgh? I'd like to stop by and see some of the bikes roll in.
What are the times for the finish on Friday so I know when to be there ???

FINISH INFORMATION

Finish Friday, July 12, 10 am

Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01am

Scoring opens at 5am

Pittsburgh Marriott North at Cranberry Woods

100 Cranberry Woods Drive

Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania 16066 USA
Might want to get there fairly early that morning.

No. 147 (north of Dayton, OH) seems to be in a strange location. Middle of a field. Hmmm... Spot error maybe?

No. 147 (north of Dayton, OH) seems to be in a strange location. Middle of a field. Hmmm... Spot error maybe?
147 seems to be in residential neighborhood off of Brantford Rd, in a front yard, according to the SPOT page I'm looking at.

147 on the move again.
smile.png
I don't trust the accuracy of them things.

"Maybe a bonus is a '76 Camaro on blocks.
unknw.gif
"....... made me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.