2014-07-20 MotoPort Riding Gear Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...That Kevlar shit is abrasive as holy hell. Go ahead, rub up against a car and tell me what it does to the paint...
Last year I had a larger person from the land of Timmy Horton lean/sit on one of my saddlebags and in just a minute or two reduced the paint on the bag to a matte finish.

I see that both of you are long term users of MotoPort gear and I am curious about the Kevlar mesh fabric. Is it comfortable, is the weight comparable to textile gear and is armor ventilated????Thanks
My Ultra II Kevlar pants weigh in at 4.3 lbs. including armor. With a 38" inseam they're likely longer and heavier than what most folks would wear. I have nothing to compare them to as they're the only dedicated riding pants I've ever had! Had them 10 yrs, and they've been worn almost daily for the past 5 yrs. rain or shine. First five yrs I wasn't riding as much since my kids were younger and I was doing a lot of the drop-off/pick-up routine. I do remember them feeling heavy initially but you get used to it. The armor, knees, shins, outer thighs, is perforated in that they have a few holes in them. Since my daily commute is only 16 miles each way, they get me through the rain but are not waterproof... I believe an additional Liner is needed for that (?) but I spray them with a fabric conditional to up the water resistance and that works for 30 mins of rain each way. My next set of riding pants will likely come from Motoport again mostly because they can make custom sizes for anyone... even if you're nearly 7' tall.

Mr. BR