2014 Electronic Suspension Spring Rates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIDER007

Reaction score
We finally had a 50 degree sunny day and I took the opportunity to ride to Desert Valley Powersports in Prosser , WA and asked a tech in the service department if they had a copy of the 2014 ES Factory Service Manual (FSM). He graciously stopped what he was doing and took a few minutes with me to review the ES model's suspension spring rates. The first thing I noticed was that the fork springs were rated at a whopping 2.04 KGF/mm, double that of the 2013A forks....and the reason is that the ES only has one spring. The sole spring is in the left fork where it shares space with the compression damping adjustment. The rebound damping is in the right fork. The tech said this kind of fork setup is getting more and more common and I have heard about it in dirt bikes but not street bikes. He confirmed the single spring after looking at another section of the FSM although the parts list I looked up at home still shows dual fork springs.

The shock spring is listed at 685 lb/in which is actually less than the 708 lb spring used in the GEN2s Hard position and way less than the 976 lb spring Yamaha claims to be in the 2013A. Shock springs and their respective sag numbers, weight capacity, and resistance to bottoming can be a little to tricky to compare because of differences in base preload but the ES starts with a base preload of 14.5 mm and can be increased to a total of 22.5 mm of preload with the ES adjustment (per the Motorcyclist review). The 2013A's shock has 11.7mm of preload which is fixed. The GEN2's shock has 18.4mm of preload which is also fixed. I would guess that the ES (slightly lighter spring but slightly more total preload) spring would probably have very similar performance to the GEN2 when the shock is in the Hard position.

The ES's setup also is pretty close to how my Wilbers was orginally set up for my 2005. It had a 646 lb spring and 20mm of base preload (both verified by GP Suspension when it was rebuilt). I never rode 2-up but the shock clearly had bottomed numerous times and was very under sprung for my 225 lbs. The 646 spring was replaced by a 800 lb spring with 10mm of base preload. It is still under sprung for riding 2-up but works nicely on my 2008 for weights up to 250-275 lbs.

I think those planning on carrying over 325-350 lbs are probably going to need a much heavier shock spring and its anyone's guess how a heavier spring will work with the ES's preset damping combinations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice detailed summary, thanks. Seems kind of disappointing they would go with a softer spring than the Gen II. Don't understand that. I switched out my 07 rear shock for a Hagon sprung for a about a 220 lb rider so a little firm for me but I really liked the improved handling in turns, don't know the springs rating off hand. Can't say I like the single spring in the front but i guess if it works...

Interesting...... certainly makes model selection a more difficult choice.

Will have to clarify some things with Yamaha tech reps at upcoming bike show. This info should be in the Bin of Facts?

FYI - Gen2 fork spring rate is 0.85.

Interesting also are the prices for replacement rear shocks.. Gen 2 - $610, '13/'14A - $425, '14ES - $2325 (includes motors, shock not available separately).

I'm confused too by the '14E having 2 fork springs in the parts list.

I am no expert on single sided damping or springing, but seems to me might be ok on a lighter sport bike such as the R1..... my brain says I want balance on a heavier bike. If the one spring idea is true, I think two is better (smoother, plusher) than one instead of making one do all the work in perhaps a compromise design. These Yammy guys may have taken the quest for weight savings a bit too far for my brain to handle........ don't know what to think, really.

I am no expert on single sided damping or springing, but seems to me might be ok on a lighter sport bike such as the R1..... my brain says I want balance on a heavier bike. If the one spring idea is true, I think two is better (smoother, plusher) than one instead of making one do all the work in perhaps a compromise design. These Yammy guys may have taken the quest for weight savings a bit too far for my brain to handle........ don't know what to think, really.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the single sided springing (if it is true) because none of the testers have even mentioned it, probably didn't know and couldn't tell any difference. I certainly cannot detect the single side damping on the '13.

Nice review '007, thanks for visiting Prosser and digging into the FSM.

With my well sorted out '09 with GP / Penske, it'll make for a difficult decision if when the time comes...

--G

How much do you trust that tech to know this brand new model? Why would Yamaha and all the parts suppliers show both forks contain the same parts, including springs? Clicky

How much do you trust that tech to know this brand new model? Why would Yamaha and all the parts suppliers show both forks contain the same parts, including springs? Clicky
He did not claim to know what was in the forks, he said he had not yet seen what was inside. However, he showed me the forks diagram in Yamaha's Factory Service Manual plus he looked up the instruction for servicing the forks in the FSM....and the springs listed weight/size was twice the size that of the 2013A' s fork springs. Everything in the FSM indicated there was only one spring. I don't think it makes any difference as long as it works.

He did not claim to know what was in the forks, he said he had not yet seen what was inside. However, he showed me the forks diagram in Yamaha's Factory Service Manual plus he looked up the instruction for servicing the forks in the FSM....and the springs listed weight/size was twice the size that of the 2013A' s fork springs. Everything in the FSM indicated there was only one spring. I don't think it makes any difference as long as it works.
Ahhh. I'd bet that the FSM only shows how to service one fork because the components are identical, according to the parts explode-a-gram.Also, according to the Motorcyclist review, "With the new inverted fork, Yamaha has put damping on both legs again—the revised fork on the ’13 bike has a cartridge on one side only—with separate functions; one leg adjusts compression damping, the other does rebound. The shock has a single electric adjuster that manages both compression and rebound values." The '13 and '14A has dampening on one side and rebound on the other. The '14ES has the same springs, dampening and rebound in both forks.

I don't mean to argue, but there is quite a lot of misinformation out there about the ES and I prefer to attempt to correct the data so others can make informed decisions! As you said, as long as it works...and boy does it!
punk.gif

Ahhh. I'd bet that the FSM only shows how to service one fork because the components are identical, according to the parts explode-a-gram.Also, according to the Motorcyclist review, "With the new inverted fork, Yamaha has put damping on both legs again—the revised fork on the ’13 bike has a cartridge on one side onlywith separate functions; one leg adjusts compression damping, the other does rebound. The shock has a single electric adjuster that manages both compression and rebound values." The '13 and '14A has dampening on one side and rebound on the other. The '14ES has the same springs, dampening and rebound in both forks.

I don't mean to argue, but there is quite a lot of misinformation out there about the ES and I prefer to attempt to correct the data so others can make informed decisions! As you said, as long as it works...and boy does it!
punk.gif
You may be correct about the '14 ES fork spring(s) but the rest of your statement, whether it is a direct quote from Motorcyclist or your words, is confusing and if read as separate sentences, is inaccurate......so lets clarify the data on the things we are sure about.

The '13A and '14A has both compression and rebound damping on the right leg and are both are adjustable manually. The left leg has a cartridge (the spring has to sit on something) but it is not a "live" cartridge because it does not do any actual damping (first reported by Motorcyclist in its December 2012 issue and later confirmed to me by Dan from Traxxion Dynamics).

The '14 ES has compression damping on the left leg and rebound damping on the right leg and both are adjustable through the ES.

The '13A and '14A have the same fork springs, the '14 ES fork spring(s) uses a different spring/part number (and cost).

Good info.

Can't wait to try the ES. I think some folks overthink this. I bet for the majority of folk, the ES suspension will be more than adequate. Time will tell.

I can definitely see owning one. Only the problem of $$$$.

...I bet for the majority of folk, the ES suspension will be more than adequate.... only the problem of $$$$.
Good point Greg concerning the cost. Hope that rear shock holds up for a long, long time because I don't think anybody in their right mind would pay Yammie's astronomical $2325 replacement cost. I wonder if it's rebuildable?

007, re your statement concerning your rear 800# spring on your '05, when yousaid you had 10mm preload on that was that with the remote preload adjuster set to o (nill preload)? just curious!

...I bet for the majority of folk, the ES suspension will be more than adequate.... only the problem of $$$$.
Good point Greg concerning the cost. Hope that rear shock holds up for a long, long time because I don't think anybody in their right mind would pay Yammie's astronomical $2325 replacement cost. I wonder if it's rebuildable?
I have read in several places that the shock is rebuildable and I think the FSM says that it is supposed to be sent to Yamaha for service (wonder how much time and $$$ that will cost). If Yamaha can rebuild the shock then any good suspension shop will also be able to do it. They should also be able to re-spring and re-valve the shock although I would think it going to be very tricky to revalve the shock to accommodate the new spring size and still maintain the damping balance between the shock and forks.

I have read in several places that the shock is rebuildable and I think the FSM says that it is supposed to be sent to Yamaha for service (wonder how much time and $$$ that will cost). If Yamaha can rebuild the shock then any good suspension shop will also be able to do it. They should also be able to re-spring and re-valve the shock although I would think it going to be very tricky to revalve the shock to accommodate the new spring size and still maintain the damping balance between the shock and forks.
This is a compilation of what I have read from various sources:

With the new inverted fork, Yamaha has put damping on both legs again—the revised fork on the ’13 bike has a cartridge on one side only—with separate functions; one leg adjusts compression damping, the other does rebound. The shock has a single electric adjuster that manages both compression and rebound values.
So is the physical execution. Yamaha says the suspension is just 1.2 percent stiffer front and rear, but it feels like more. Although the ES isn’t quite as firm as our Project FJR, it’s a useful upgrade in sporting capability without sacrificing any suppleness. Move through the suspension modes and you can feel the legs firming up and the ride becoming more taut. The difference from the softest to firmest settings isn’t as pronounced as it is in the Ducati Multistrada, but it’s a huge upgrade over the non-ES version of the FJR, which went from far too soft to merely just too soft.

The '14ES FSM says: Take the shock absorber assembly to a Yamaha dealer for any service.

007, re your statement concerning your rear 800# spring on your '05, when yousaid you had 10mm preload on that was that with the remote preload adjuster set to o (nill preload)? just curious!
When you see the term "base preload" it is the amount the spring is compressed when the shock is assembled and that preload cannot be adjusted. Penske and Ohlins recommend a base preload between 8-12mm and if you cannot get the desired sag within that range it is an indication that the spring rate needs to be changed. A base preload of 10mm is considered ideal by most and gives the best combination of a plush ride on smooth surfaces and resistance to bottoming on rough surfaces. While increasing preload is commonly used to maintain sag/steering geometry with an heavier load, a lighter spring with more preload will not preform as well as a heavier spring with less preload.

In my case, Wilbers delivered the shock with 20 mm of base preload and I had an additional 10 mm of preload available via the remote preload adjuster. I normally rode with just the base preload and used the remote preload when I had a passenger....and I thought the ride quality suffered when I had a passenger. The 800 lb spring has a better ride than the 646 lb spring and I have never bottomed riding solo.

This is a compilation of what I have read from various sources:

With the new inverted fork, Yamaha has put damping on both legs againthe revised fork on the 13 bike has a cartridge on one side onlywith separate functions; one leg adjusts compression damping, the other does rebound.
This statement doesn't appear to make sense. Are they talking about the '13 or the '14? If the bike has a cartridge on one side only, how could it have compression damping on one leg and rebound damping on the other leg? Yes, I know the sentence actually contains a dangling modifier but that danging modifier makes it extremely confusing for anyone trying to understand what the author is actually trying to commuicate......and according to Traxxion, the '13 bike does have a cartridge on both legs, the left cartridge just does not do any actual damping. Motorcyclist has conflicting statements about the left cartridge in the December 2012 and February 2013 issues.

IIRC, the ES has a stepper motor at the top of each fork, one to adjust compression damping the other to adjust rebound. If there's a way to adjust damping on a cartridge style fork with no cartridge............

I would bet there's a cartridge in each fork, one with fixed compression valving and adjustable rebound, the other with fixed rebound valving and adjustable compression. The adjustment range in each leg is calibrated to be sufficient for the assembly as a whole. JMHO and WAG.

Alright, time for one of you lucky bastids with a new ES to rip those beautiful new forks apart and give us the skinny!

I think that quote is just an example of some mashed up writing. It is the 2013/2014 A models that only have damping on one side but have springs on both sides with one dummy cartridge that doesn't dampen. The USD ES forks seem to have damping on both sides but only single spring.

The thing that bothers me about these unequal spring or damping forks is that I would envision that the uneven force would have the effect of twisting the axle at the bottoms with undesirable effect on the front wheel. The only thing keeping the axle straight would be the pinch clamps on the bottom of the lower forks unless you put an aftermarket fork brace on.