2014 Electronic Suspension Spring Rates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FJR GEN2 shock uses two separate springs, the top spring only has about 1.5 coils of very wide coils and is rated at over 1800 lbs/in (it will never bind), the lower spring has about 4 coils and is rated at about 710 lb/in and it also will not not bind because the shock will run out of available travel (and bottom) before that happens. When the shock is in the soft position, both springs are in the spring series and all 5.5 coils are active. When the shock is in the hard position the top (short) spring is locked out of the spring series and only the 4 coils on the bottom spring are active, effectively raising the spring rate. The shock does not bottom because the springs bind, it bottoms because it runs out of internal travel. Each spring has a base preload that cannot be adjusted.

The ES has a pretty conventional single spring shock except that it is using a small electric motor compress the spring to change preload and a second motor to change the damping by adjusting the oil flow to the internal shim stacks. The single spring has a base preload that can be increased electronically in four steps and ES also changes the damping when the preload is changed to balance the system. That damping can then be changed to as many as 21 different settings at the rider's discretion.

The differences between the shocks is that the GEN2 has two very different spring rates (about 530 and 710 lb/in) but no preload/ride height adjustments. Each setting is going to have its own unique ride height with any given load. The ES is going to only have one spring rate (maybe 685 lb/in) but 4 different preload/ride heights (covering an 8mm range) for any given load. Preload normally is used to as a backdoor way to increase ride height (if a ride height adjuster is not available) and keep steering geometry consistent with different loads but can also be used to prevent bottoming by increasing the amount of available travel and allowing the spring's total compression to be greater than it was before. Preload does not change the spring rate although it may make the spring feel stiffer when you bounce on the seat in a showroom. Preload does not change the total amount the spring will be compressed after the rider's weight is added, just the amount that the spring will compress before the rider's weight is added. Since the total amount of spring compression does not change because of preload, the same part of the spring is used during normal riding and the ride quality should be the same.

A too light of spring and/or not enough preload adjustment can result in too much sag (which effects steering geometry) and excessive bottoming in addition to poor handling and ride quality and most suspension tuners recommend using a spring large enough that the desired sag can be achieved with about 10 mm of base preload.

Last edited by a moderator:
So IF what 007 wrote above is true, wouldn't it be easy to replace the spring with a heavier spring and be done with it? Then all the adjustments would adjust the heavier spring and handle more weight...

Unless, a heavier spring blows out the servo motor or the adjustments don't take place because the motor measures resistance. I'm betting the motor moves a set amount for each setting. So overworking the motor is probably the biggest worry.

Yes, no, or maybe.

Yes. Having more (or more specifically the correct) spring weight would be the bomb diggety.

No? I'm sure that the preload adjust drive motor has limited torque, so you may be right about how much it can handle.

And maybe? There is a direct relationship between your spring weight and the damping requirements (even without figuring how much lard you are planning on suspending) that may put things out of whack.

Last edited by a moderator:
So IF what 007 wrote above is true, wouldn't it be easy to replace the spring with a heavier spring and be done with it? Then all the adjustments would adjust the heavier spring and handle more weight...
Unless, a heavier spring blows out the servo motor or the adjustments don't take place because the motor measures resistance. I'm betting the motor moves a set amount for each setting. So overworking the motor is probably the biggest worry.
Don't forget the old rule that if you have a balance between spring rate and damping and you increase the spring rate......then you should decrease the compression damping but increase the rebound damping to keep all three in balance. Easy to do if you have independent damping adjustments, otherwise it may require internal re-valving. I read on the S10 forum that you normally can go up 2 sizes (about 100 lb) without having to re-valve, I went up 3 sizes on my Wilbers spring and wish I had re-valved, I think it would have a better ride with a light load if it had less compression damping. Re-springing and re-valving the ES so it plays well with all the options may be very tricky or may be pretty standard. We won't know until someone does it.

I don't know about the servo motor, the GL1800 uses a electric motor to change the preload (with 2 rider programmed presets and manual push button over a 13mm range) and the aftermarket springs can be 300-400 lbs heavier than the OEM spring.

The rear has four preload settings: 1up 'm o luggage, 1up with luggage, 2 up no luggage, 2up with luggage. Rebound and dampening (I believe) have 3 settings: Hard, Standard, and Soft, each with 7 variants (-3 thru +3).
If your an aggressive rider riding the twisties by your self then set it at 2 up with luggage and hard +3 then your done.