2014 FJR shutting down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender 2

Reaction score
I bought this bike new a couple months ago. It has 1200 miles on it currently. I was riding home from work today and the bike started shutting down. it was doing it very often for most of the ride home and then at the end of the ride it was running perfect.

The bike would just seem to go dead. if at idle it would die. if at speed it would surge like you were abruptly cutting the throttle. some times for just a second, other times long enough for the warning lights and ERR code to show up on the bottom of the display. When it would die at idle it would start back up. seems like a short or bad connection. I checked the battery connections and all is fineT

Any ideas? there isn't a whole lot that I found on electrical issues on the 2014. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bender

Did you put a wrench on the battery bolts and tighten or just "look"..

Also, make sure the red rubber boot on the positive battery post is NOT PARTIALLY stuck in-between the post and cable..

*snip*

"I bought this bike new a couple months ago."

I'd let the dealer study it a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you put a wrench on the battery bolts and tighten or just "look"..
Also, make sure the red rubber boot on the positive battery post is NOT PARTIALLY stuck in-between the post and cable..
+1 Sounds like an intermittent ground connection. This used to happen on my truck all the time. If the battery sounds low on startup I would say there's a loose ground somewhere.

Bad tank of gas? If that bike sat for a year or more maybe there's an injector gummed up. I too, would let the dealer diagnose it.

If dealer setup was anything like mine was, Doritos and weed were involved. I vote loose (battery) bolt for the win.

The positive battery bolt was very slightly loose and I did put a wrench on it and snugged it down. I hope that was it but realistically I doubt it. Hard to tell because the bike was running well when I got home.

I didnt see a code when it happened, just ERR on the bottom of the display which I believe is a traction control issue. The display goes blank when it happens as well, other than the warning lights and ERR message. No error codes or warning lights stay on after the bike restarts.

I rode it last night and into work again this morning and it is running well. My fingers are crossed that it was the battery bolt. If it occurs again it will be going to the dealer under warranty. I hate to take it there and leave it for a week to have them tell me they cant replicate the problem.

The battery sounds strong on startup as well.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

The positive battery bolt was very slightly loose and I did put a wrench on it and snugged it down. I hope that was it but realistically I doubt it.
Don't doubt it. That was it. As you spend more time with this bike you will come to understand how finicky these bikes are about solid battery connections.

Any bike with a loose battery terminal will cause all kinds of weird come and go issues...

A spot of locktite on the bolts would help keep that from happening again..

Then dielectric grease it..