2015 Black Hills FJR Roundup 25-28 June 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump

Keep this new event in mind. Nearly 70 people signed up so far.

First Motel full.

The Kozy, still has rooms.

Ride the Black Hills before the Pirates arrive.

Yep, was just talking to my wife about this. We plan to make this part of a multi-week vacation...up to SD, across the northwestern States, up into BC then across Canada to ON then back home. Can't wait!

…. Penny at the Kozy Motel.
Geez, that sounds …………..inviting.

Had she heard about you?
They've all heard about me.

Beemerdons made sure of it. JSNS
Marky-Mark, Old Michael and Papa Chuy Viejo have found you a nice Irish lass to take with you to the Kozy Motel. Her name is Erin, a smart blonde and very cute; a Senior at Trinity College in Dublin, we think! BeemerDonS is dating her Mom Moira, Moira has just a wee bit of a potty mouth on her aye! JSNS!

https://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/extwidget/openGraph/wid/1_8bjg9ibq
You have no idea how scared I was to open that link. I waited until I was off the network at school before clicking it. I was afraid I might've get arrested immediately considering what "could" have been in there!!

Funny stuff boys.

13BF0F31-0BDB-4A12-9DDA-560445E76214_zps7yga7qky.jpg

This is an example of the camp ground John is talking about. Many of the sites are just like this. That water was very cold in July. This is the small creek. 2 bath houses are on property. The one you see in the background is farther away than the one we used. It is just to the right in the picture. Very clean campground. I would guess it to be less than a half mile to festivities that John is talking about. We stayed 3 nights here and saw the police crawl thru each night very late just checking on the grounds. We never heard any loud music or stupidity of any loud pipes. That was only a week before the Stugis Rally also.

13BF0F31-0BDB-4A12-9DDA-560445E76214_zps7yga7qky.jpg

This is an example of the camp ground John is talking about. Many of the sites are just like this. That water was very cold in July. This is the small creek. 2 bath houses are on property. The one you see in the background is farther away than the one we used. It is just to the right in the picture. Very clean campground. I would guess it to be less than a half mile to festivities that John is talking about. We stayed 3 nights here and saw the police crawl thru each night very late just checking on the grounds. We never heard any loud music or stupidity of any loud pipes. That was only a week before the Stugis Rally also.
Were there showers in the bathhouses?

There are showers in the bath houses.

The other campers tend to get pissed if you skinny dip in the creek, the soap bubbles bother the trout and the ducks.

I hate when I don't spend too much time on the forum and miss things like this. CFR will definitely NOT be the last weekend of June next year! I'll be in SD!
biggrin.png

...WAIT!!! Stroke of Genius!!! We can have CFR on the traditional last week of June... we'll just re-locate to Spearfish!!!
clapping.gif

(Better buy more beer! The Canucks are coming!)

Big John, can you shed some light on the expected weather that time of year? Thinking about camping, but...

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode through Spearfish early in my Great Circle ride in September, and had the pleasure of staying with John and Jean and getting a guided tour through some of the very best riding of my whole trip! Wonderful roads in the Black Hills. I liked the idea of jumping off from there and heading up toward Banff and Jasper, too, or reversing the order. With motels filling fast, maybe I'll tent it unless the weather's bad. Spearfish is big enough to have plenty of last-minute options for lodging--just not so close to the center of everything if you happen to like free beer.

I'm still "iffy," but leaning. This looks like the place to be come late June.

I rode through Spearfish early in my Great Circle ride in September, and had the pleasure of staying with John and Jean and getting a guided tour through some of the very best riding of my whole trip! Wonderful roads in the Black Hills. I liked the idea of jumping off from there and heading up toward Banff and Jasper, too, or reversing the order. With motels filling fast, maybe I'll tent it unless the weather's bad. Spearfish is big enough to have plenty of last-minute options for lodging--just not so close to the center of everything if you happen to like free beer.
I'm still "iffy," but leaning. This looks like the place to be come late June.
Not sure what the temp is during late June, but when we were there on July 24th it was hot. On the way out to the Devils Tower, it was exactly 213 degrees. It was really cool to see and turned out even more worth it because my buddy was overheated and he needed a water or gatorade. We stopped in the "town" of Alladin and saw this girl. Not in these clothes, but she is a resident of Alladin-Population 15. Really nice young woman. She was running the store for her grandparents that own it. I talked to her for about 5 min. Mainly History related. I got the feel from her that she tolerates the Sturgis event because it makes her family a living. But she also acted more than a little embarrassed that the town and area is exploited due to the negativity associated with the rally. The story of the frontier store was very interesting. This is a picture of a poster in her Grandparents store.

ADA6451B-D4FD-4DF4-9972-1425461BF48E_zpspfprzw9g.jpg

Now that many of you will read no further........................................................................It was fine at night in the campground. Humidity was very low and elevation cooled things off quickly. That creek was plenty cold. Amazing what 5 min in there will do to the core body temp after a hot day.

Carry on

The store. We were the only ones there. There is no inside restroom. There is a ton of History inside the building. I love the old stove. They still use it.
2848CFDB-277B-4FD4-9BF8-CCBD9640EB3F_zpso5dohidm.jpg

The town sign

EBC98138-F985-47A5-B5ED-49C50FB751C5_zpsscx8isxm.jpg

I'm lookin' and I am tempted. Been there, done that, but would love to go again.

I somehow missed all the build up going on about this little event that could...

But it sure looks to me right now lkike this has a bigger draw than pretty much any other regional event, and there is no NAFO 2015, so...

John, I think you may be the biggest draw of the year in 2015. Line up a couple more hotels man. Get the dancin' gurls.

It'll be FJuR-gess 2015!

More motels are available if interest justifies it.

The Black Hills are a great place to ride, how can 500,000 pirates be wrong every year?

Dancing g girls may be a problem, they all now work in the Bakken oil fields 200 miles due north.

It is reported that a Dancing Girl can net several thousand dollars in one night, before entertaining any customers after hours.

Hmmmmm, not sure how I missed this thread until now......

Attended some previous gatherings in Spearfish over the years and enjoyed the riding available each time. My sis-in-law lives in Spearfish, plus my nephew has a cabin in Spearfish Canyon so lodging is not an issue even with the Bell Motel sold out. BTW, I've stayed at the Bell before and it's a great little mom and pop motel!

I may be giving up my reservation at Bell's Motor lodge Fri & Sat 6/26-27.

...Since I'm going to Billings MT 7/23- I can incorporate this Black Hills area a week prior to MOA. Yahhhh, I will miss the free beer, but more importantly the great peeps! :(

I'll post up here when and if this happens.