2015 Windshield Auto Retract

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next thing you know they will want auto cancelling turn signals. I have self cancelling signals. After a turn I cancel them mySELF!
rolleyes.gif

" If you want something done right, you have to DO IT YOURSELF"

That goes for turn sigs, windshield, shifting, and looking for bad drivers.

After my Gen I auto-retract quit, I left my windshield extended in the bright sun during a lunch stop. The elevated windshield stood at just the right angle to magnify the sunlight and melt a small portion of my dash panel.

Since then, I've suspected that's why Yamaha quietly created the auto retract. Nowadays, I always retract my windshield when I park in the sun and have had no more melting. Maybe that's also why Yamaha started making dash panels in a sunlight-reflecting silver finish.

WBill

By the sounds of it, Yammy may have eliminated all the circuitry, relay and limit switches...... and since the Gen III windshield system is different......... Lots of bikes don't have auto-retract.....

As a habit, every time I roll to a stop I run the shield down (in traffic, through a small town, etc.). Also when I get ready to park, the shield gets lowered fully (this on a 2014A). Even though I do this I would not want an auto-retract system since I run the shield all the way up to clean it (inside and outside surfaces).

Dan

Less switches mean more reliability..... I'm a big fan of reliability.

I use my higher cee baileys windshield all the time, like above at stop lights and around town, low so I can see directly in front of me, and raise it for longer rides.

No need for auto retract....

Well, there is certainly a case for having both, or at least the option of turning it on or off. No complaining here about either way, just thought it would be nice to activate it if that was even possible. And it sounds like it isn't.

To me, I loved the cool factor of turning off my 2006 and the windshield tucked itself in....got a lot of stare's from that action. Yeah, that sounds pretty lame, but it was fun!

So, has anyone done any "experimenting" with hidden menus? Not only for windshield operations, but other things? I have not had time to get out and start pushing different combinations myself.....

There are no 'hidden' menus. The available menus are described in the Owners Manual and Factory Service Manual. The FSM is particularly useful for Diagnostic Modes.

My first two Gen Is had the auto-disconnect for the auto-retract...except when it rained when the auto-disconnect got auto-cancelled and the auto-retract was auto-reactivated.. With my latest Gen 1 I'm still waiting for the auto-activation of the auto-disconnect of the auto-retract.

I would not want an auto-retracting windshield. I want it to stay where I put it, until I raise it or lower it. I would consider any tendency to melt in the sun an manufacturer's defect.

I'm all in with the "auto retract is for pussies" team. It just feels better to be on that team!!!
Yeah, me too. The thing that bugs me about the whole thing is that we as owners are too stoopit to make our own choices. Mammy Yammy for whatever reason decided to have it. People bitched. Mammy decides to eliminate it. People bitch. Really? Is it that hard to make a vehicle so that folks have a choice? My F-150 is the same way.

I'm a pussy 🐯 . I liked the feature on my Gen 2 bikes (did disable it for a while, then re-enabled it). I would like it on my Gen 3.

I'm sure Yamaha took it off the Gen 3 just to save money on limit switches. If it had the switches it would have been easy to implement the feature and to make it easily disabled from the menu structure.