2019 tire change problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecc1124

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
2019 es fjr 30k miles. I swapped new slippers on rear tire - no problem. Went to change the front, did it. Rode it no further than 200 yards and got a check engine lite, TCS and abs warning. What may I have messed up?

2019 es fjr 30k miles. I swapped new slippers on rear tire - no problem. Went to change the front, did it. Rode it no further than 200 yards and got a check engine lite, TCS and abs warning. What may I have messed up?

A little background please, did you change the tire yourself? Or did a shop change the tire?
Is this the first time you have removed / replaced the front wheel on your scooter?

Is there the possibility that the ABS sensor ring was damaged?
Did you remove the front ABS pickup from the mounting plate on the left side and forget to replace it?
If so, did the ABS pickup get snagged in the moving mechanism and get damaged?
Even if the ABS pickup is installed correctly, is the wiring snagged in the moving mechanism or the brake caliper and damaged?
I've never tried this and am not sure it is even possible, but is there a chance the wheel was installed backwards, and the ABS sensor ring is on the right side and the ABS pickup is on the left side?

Did you remove the rear ABS pickup from the mounting plate on the right side and forget to replace it?

I mean, come on, there are only so many ways that can be assembled. Should be able to spot the problem just by looking.

Edit:
One other thing, if you did NOT remove the ABS sensors from the mounting plates, do that and check for corrosion or other damage to the sensors and the hole in the mounting plate. Clean as necessary.

dan

Last edited:
Tire was installed by a Cycle Gear shop technician and is going in correct direction. I was clear about no magnets near hub. When you mention "rings" are you talking about the 2 bearings? That could be the issue. I will disassemble and reverse them to opposing hub inserts.
I tried to align the notch in abs plate so it's right behind the fork. Nothing was dangling.

Did you remove the wheels yourself and then take the wheels in to have new tires put on them? Did you then reinstall the wheels yourself? It's not clear from your initial post.

I once did this at auburn's house. When reinstalling I tried like crazy to put the front ABS ring onto the rear wheel. Then he tried. Auburn finally noticed what I had done wrong. I don't know if it's possible to actually do this, but I sure tried.

Did you remove the wheels yourself and then take the wheels in to have new tires put on them? Did you then reinstall the wheels yourself? It's not clear from your initial post.

I once did this at auburn's house. When reinstalling I tried like crazy to put the front ABS ring onto the rear wheel. Then he tried. Auburn finally noticed what I had done wrong. I don't know if it's possible to actually do this, but I sure tried.
Took to a Cycle Gear shop for technician to install new tire. Clearly aware of no magnets near hub. Tire rotates in correct direction.

Took to a Cycle Gear shop for technician to install new tire. Clearly aware of no magnets near hub. Tire rotates in correct direction.
Took what? The whole bike or just the wheels?

The tires may be rotating in the correct direction but are they mounted on the rim in the correct direction?

Post some pics up close of the ABS plates and sensors. This issue would have nothing to do with the bearings or spacers. If that was the problem your rotors would line up incorrectly and there would be bad brake drag. I just recently had a spacer out of place and my back tire would not "free wheel" on it's own.

We're not asking if the tire rotates in the correct direction either in relation to the wheel or in relation to the direction of travel of the scooter.
We're asking if perhaps the wheel got put on the scooter in the wrong direction, with the ABS sensor ring on the wrong side.

The small notch in the front ABS sensor plate indexes on the small nub on the inside of the front fork left side.

Yes, we're asking specific questions to try to help. It would help us if there were specific answers.

dan