2025 FJR Speculation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowrey

Reaction score
We will know soon; I think last model year was announced in November.
But if we are speculating, my bet is that there will be an updated TFT display, maybe a cosmetic change in the instrument panel and/or the plastic bits, and likely radar cruise control and a $700 price increase.

But if we are speculating, my bet is that there will be an updated TFT display, maybe a cosmetic change in the instrument panel and/or the plastic bits, and likely radar cruise control and a $700 price increase.
I would like to think it will be back as a revamped Gen V, but I think you will see at best a different color.

You're 100% right about the announcement month. It's been November for the past five years....usually the last half of the month.

But the model hasn't changed significantly since 2016 and since Yamaha has long announced the retirement of the FJR the concensus has been they're selling out remaining supply and wouldn't seem likely they'd update things like a TFT or cruise. Also, the MSRP has only gone up since 2016 by $300 and that was two years of bigger inflation during COVID. If an increase I'd wager $100.

HOWEVER, if this ends up being the last year in North America....I hope it's an 'Ultimate Edition' instead and can expect a price adjustment.

The FJR has a bleak future based upon international emissions regulations. I think it is only available in North America, and for how long? Possibly other markets, but certainly not what is needed to sustain it long term. The Super Ténéré is pretty much in the same boat with respect to emissions legislation (Euro 5). Both are great bikes but the combination of emissions regulations and lack of continued development by Yamaha has led to their senescence as premier motorcycles in high demand. Don't know if I would buy a new one (FJR or S10) at this point if my current FJR broke...

I think what Yamaha has to do is follow BMW's lead and come out with a 1300-ish CC engine that can meet the Euro 5 specs and build a Sport Touring/Adventure bike around it that is completely new. Shaft drive, triple cylinder, 150-160 HP, modern electronics, decent TFT display, 25 litre (minimum) gas tank, runs on regular gas, advanced cruise control, practical hard luggage options, a seat that doesn't make me cry, tubeless spoked wheels, and a stock (ES) suspension that doesn't suck. Make it under 600 lb, and put some decent protection on it and they would have a winner. I don't care as much about aesthetics, but could get interested in a modern, Yamaha-built, adventure-capable sport-tourer with an appropriate set of amenities. If it looked good, so much the better. It will, of course, be more expensive than the FJR, but keep it out of the stratospheric price range of a fully equipped R1300GS or GSA.

Take a year off from selling either FJR or S10 and then introduce this as a flagship model.

Oh, make a service manual available along with access to OBD2 diagnostics. (BMW's policy of not making service manuals or even some service specifications available does not sit well with me!)

How much do you want to bet?

triple cylinder,

I get the fuel and emissions advantages of 3 vs 4 but I don't know that I'd want a triple in a long-distance application. A lot of people complained about the buzziness in the existing 4 cylinder FJR engine -- and it has dual balance shafts. A triple may have theoretically perfect primary balance, but that advantage is more than offset by the inherent rocker imbalance.

IMHO.

I get the fuel and emissions advantages of 3 vs 4 but I don't know that I'd want a triple in a long-distance application. A lot of people complained about the buzziness in the existing 4 cylinder FJR engine -- and it has dual balance shafts. A triple may have theoretically perfect primary balance, but that advantage is more than offset by the inherent rocker imbalance.

IMHO.
Depends on the engine, I guess. Whatever they choose, I don't think it will be an in-line four. Obviously all idle speculation - I'm not holding my breath that Yamaha will come up with anything new in this genre anytime in the near future. They are currently listing the Tracer 9 GT+ on their sport-touring page along with the FJR (both 2024). Hopefully this isn't the heir-apparent.

Edit: They use the cross-plane crank 890 triple in the Tracer 9GT and it seems to get good marks. I can see an upsized version going in a revamped FJR/Super Tenere adventure sport-tourer.

Last edited:
Folks, as far as Yamaha is concerned the FJR is zombie - dead but barely lives on. Zero dollars are going for R&D. Nothing new besides color will come any year they still build the FJR. Be happy that it has lasted this long in North America as they can build them for cheap with all the R&D and other fixed costs paid for. Based on all the 2023s that didn't sell, I am worried in the near term of the FJR still being produced.

The future of the Yamaha sports tourer is the Tracer 9 GT. That is where they are putting their R&D and marketing $$$.

Folks, as far as Yamaha is concerned the FJR is zombie - dead but barely lives on. Zero dollars are going for R&D. Nothing new besides color will come any year they still build the FJR. Be happy that it has lasted this long in North America as they can build them for cheap with all the R&D and other fixed costs paid for. Based on all the 2023s that didn't sell, I am worried in the near term of the FJR still being produced.

The future of the Yamaha sports tourer is the Tracer 9 GT. That is where they are putting their R&D and marketing $$$.
I agree to some of this. It seems the Mfgs have turned more towards a younger urbanite crowd, putting out more smaller runabouts than road eaters like the FJR. There doesn't seem to be a Market share in the US now as the guys (and gals) that would be interested have dwindled. The only ones selling are just for us that are upgrading, or switching mounts across the ST market. Big Bike appeal is for low and slow these days in America. My 2018 (BleuRUSH2) is a superb machine; I still get questions, and allot of awe as whip it around the NorCal coastal area.