26K Valve service and CCT?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genady

Reaction score
Hi,

I got an '05 FJR recently with about 25K miles. Everything is good so far but it comes the time for a valve service.

I talked to tech at local (San Jose Yamaha) dealer and was quoted 6 hours @ 85$ for the job plus parts. Comes to a pretty serious number, if you asking me!

First is it reasonable price for this service?

Another question, after reading on the forum about "ticking" problem, I asked the tech if they could replace CCT at the same time, which he said yes, at no extra work charge and the part is under a hundred bucks.

I am not sure whatever my bike has this problem, I don't have oil issue or smoke or really obvious noise. And I am not expert enough to make a judgement.

But taking in account the risk, may be it is worth to bite the bullet once and just do the whole thing?

Otherwise I was sort of thinking to postpone the service till 35K or so, when I am in better financial situation hopefully.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Genady

That's alot of money for a valve check. I guess there is a lot of work involved getting to the valves. I've been hoping to see someone with the skills to do a Tech Day for the Northern Calif. folks post up. If I had the skills I'd be willing to have one at my place. I'd love to see the valve check done. Maybe someone with the mechanical know how will post up and we can get a group together to check your valves and the rest of us DIY'ers can watch. Just sayin! Hint! Hint! Beer does fit in the side cases! :drinks:

Hi,
I got an '05 FJR recently with about 25K miles. Everything is good so far but it comes the time for a valve service.

I talked to tech at local (San Jose Yamaha) dealer and was quoted 6 hours @ 85$ for the job plus parts. Comes to a pretty serious number, if you asking me!

85 bucks an hour is more or less the going rate..

Another question, after reading on the forum about "ticking" problem, I asked the tech if they could replace CCT at the same time, which he said yes, at no extra work charge and the part is under a hundred bucks.

Gen1 tickers and the CCT are two separate issues. Gen 1 bikes *may* get excessive valve guide wear due to lack of lubrication. This is not the same issue as the cam chain tensioners.

I am not sure whatever my bike has this problem, I don't have oil issue or smoke or really obvious noise. And I am not expert enough to make a judgement.

But taking in account the risk, may be it is worth to bite the bullet once and just do the whole thing?

Just IMHO, but I've been through two CCT's on my high mileage 06. Each replacement quieted everything down, and the 3rd CCT has a new part number - which I hope is the cure. Then again, on other bikes I've owned, replacing the CCT was 'maintenance' and not an 'event'.

Otherwise I was sort of thinking to postpone the service till 35K or so, when I am in better financial situation hopefully.

Any suggestions?

I think it's safe to say your skoot will last until 35k no problems. It's a qualified risk; however, this is against my personal MO. I ride hard, give no quarter to the bike when it's 'in service'. The flip side is that whatever she needs, she gets. Like regular valve checks.

Thanks,

Genady
hope this helps -

I was quoted $560 for the valve check. The dealer I'm taking my bike to charges $70/hr shop rate. They said if everything is within spec it's a 4hr job. If not, it's 6 to 8hrs of labor. They're going to check my CCT (GenII) while they're in there.

I have 32,000 miles... I put about 10,000 miles on last year. There wasn't a good time to take the bike in for this when 26,000 rolled around.

The price for the valve check range just mentioned is wuite expensive. I have mine serviced in Woodland CA cost around 380.00

I went 30k before I did mine,next valve check and/or adjustment 60k but will replace cct. do it while it is torn down you save the cost of a lit of labor. I would wait, if i were me

Holy smokes, those are expensive valve checks. My 26k was $260 IIRC. I could see it being higher if actual adjustments/shims were necessary however.

Holy smokes, those are expensive valve checks. My 26k was $260 IIRC. I could see it being higher if actual adjustments/shims were necessary however.
OK, who brought this up?

Ahh= Genady!

You my man, are appointed to turn back our odometers.

I've got 56,000+ and am beginning to contemplate my second valve adjust = $$$.

Nuts!

Mines currently in for a valve check. My CCT was bad, just got replaced along with some o-rings that timed out. 47 k on a 2005. I'll find out what it cost tomorrow, all my valves were in spec.

edit: final cost was $553.68. Included some rubber o-ring replacements, new model CCT,a bunch of gaskets, frame re-torque,coolant flush & a check ride ( can't believe they get paid for that one !). Caught them cleaning it yesterday too. Pick it up in an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
my independent mechanic charges $50 hour and 2 hours to check valves and another 2 hours or so to actually do a valve adjustment.

He orders parts as needed which adds another 3-4 days to the job. So about a week is the bike gone.

I stay away from dealerships like the plague.

if my CCT was never replaced, I'd definitely do so at current valve check. It's a new, better design with longer plunger and better spring it seems. $75 for parts (unit plus gasket).

Now that said, it's fine to wait for the first sign of marbles in a can sounds to change the CCT. I changed mine myself within 2 hours and know I can do it in half that time now that I've done it the first time. And I have the tools to make it happen ready to go.

In fact, the last time I placed an order for misc bolts, washers, and fittings for the plastic, I purchased a new CCT, cam chain, and kickstand switch. The switch on the bike was jumped after failure, and I replaced it. I also purchased a half dozen oil filters and a dozen crush washers. The washers are good for the oil and rear drive drain plugs.

Thanks everyone guys! Great info.

I would certainly love to hear about any independent and capable mechanic in the area, cause I think the quote I have got is not reasonable.

Will try some other places around...

Cheers!

Hi,

85 bucks an hour is more or less the going rate..

Gen1 tickers and the CCT are two separate issues. Gen 1 bikes *may* get excessive valve guide wear due to lack of lubrication. This is not the same issue as the cam chain tensioners.

Just IMHO, but I've been through two CCT's on my high mileage 06. Each replacement quieted everything down, and the 3rd CCT has a new part number - which I hope is the cure. Then again, on other bikes I've owned, replacing the CCT was 'maintenance' and not an 'event'.

Any suggestions?

I think it's safe to say your skoot will last until 35k no problems. It's a qualified risk; however, this is against my personal MO. I ride hard, give no quarter to the bike when it's 'in service'. The flip side is that whatever she needs, she gets. Like regular valve checks.

Thanks,

Genady
hope this helps -
Ok, I am more confused on this one though, so CCT problem and "ticking" problem are two different problems?

So what is the ticking when?

I thought you may potentially have two reasons for it:

1. Seriously bad one - CCT with potential for you motor to explode!

2. Not so bad one, the exhaust valves, will eventually cause troubles, but nothing really as bad as number 1.

Am I right or I am confused on the subject?

Thanks!

Oh and if I didn't make myself clear, any of you mechanically inclined guys near by, who would want to make some money and take over the job, instead of dealership, I would be grateful!

Genady

Ok, I am more confused on this one though, so CCT problem and "ticking" problem are two different problems?So what is the ticking when?

2. Not so bad one, the exhaust valves, will eventually cause troubles, but nothing really as bad as number 1.

Thanks!
that's about right

do some reading...the Bin O Facts...includes info on ticking engines and the recall/fix by Yamaha under ISSUES

thread: TICKING ENGINE THREAD -> CLICKY

BIN O FACTS -> CLICKY

OK, who brought this up?

Ahh= Genady!

You my man, are appointed to turn back our odometers.

I've got 56,000+ and am beginning to contemplate my second valve adjust = $$$.

Nuts!
Yeah, ,mine is about one month out from it's 2nd interval and I am getting the marbles in a can sound now so the new CCT is going on when they have all this stuff off. Might as well for an extra $100 or so although it is tempting to just do it myself.

Ok, I am more confused on this one though, so CCT problem and "ticking" problem are two different problems?So what is the ticking when?

Thanks!
You are a bit confused. :blink:

The two issues are non-related except that they both make a (different) noise and they both have something to do with your valves.

Ticking is due to wear of the valve guides. Nobody knows precisely why it happens or doesn't happen on the same model year bikes. This one sounds like silverware clattering. There is no prevention. It is a chronic type of issue. It has not been known to cause acute engine failure. You may get oil usage and oil in the exhaust header eventually. Yamaha has been known to fix tickers in the US out of warranty.

CCT looseness is due to the inadequate design of the tensioner not taking up slack in the timing chain. It sounds like marbles in a can when the chain begins to slap on the internal engine cases. Other than the chain noise, there are no other symptoms (until "the end"). This situation has been known to end in acute engine failures when/if the chain skips teeth on the sprocket(s), as the valves are of an "interference" design, meaning the pistons will mash them if the valve timing is off (enough).

There have been a number of owners whose engines started making the marbles sound and have subsequently had the CCT replaced to fix it. There have been a handful that had catastrophic failures, at least a couple were after messing with their tensioners, knowing that they were getting some valve chain noise.

My advise is, if you do not currently have any marbles noise, just continue to listen for it.

If you just check the valve clearances, which is very likely based on a poll I did a while back, then you do not need to touch the CCT, so just leave it alone.

If you do the check and end up having to replace some shims, you will need to wind up the CCT to de-tension the chain, so replace the CCT then.

That's my plan on my '05 w/ 34k mi. First vale check was OK, so left CCT alone. I'm planning on having to shim some intake valves next time and doing the CCT then, unless my engine tells me something different. ;)

BTW - doing the valve check isn't all that tough. clicky

Just had my valves checked in Thousand Oaks,Ca. High Octane Motorsports charged me $340.0 for valve check (in spec) and TBS. Great service and I got my bike back the same day!

500 miles later, and very relieved to have it done.

Thanks!
You are a bit confused. :blink:

The two issues are non-related except that they both make a (different) noise and they both have something to do with your valves.

Ticking is due to wear of the valve guides. Nobody knows precisely why it happens or doesn't happen on the same model year bikes. This one sounds like silverware clattering. There is no prevention. It is a chronic type of issue. It has not been known to cause acute engine failure. You may get oil usage and oil in the exhaust header eventually. Yamaha has been known to fix tickers in the US out of warranty.

CCT looseness is due to the inadequate design of the tensioner not taking up slack in the timing chain. It sounds like marbles in a can when the chain begins to slap on the internal engine cases. Other than the chain noise, there are no other symptoms (until "the end"). This situation has been known to end in acute engine failures when/if the chain skips teeth on the sprocket(s), as the valves are of an "interference" design, meaning the pistons will mash them if the valve timing is off (enough).

There have been a number of owners whose engines started making the marbles sound and have subsequently had the CCT replaced to fix it. There have been a handful that had catastrophic failures, at least a couple were after messing with their tensioners, knowing that they were getting some valve chain noise.

My advise is, if you do not currently have any marbles noise, just continue to listen for it.

If you just check the valve clearances, which is very likely based on a poll I did a while back, then you do not need to touch the CCT, so just leave it alone.

If you do the check and end up having to replace some shims, you will need to wind up the CCT to de-tension the chain, so replace the CCT then.

That's my plan on my '05 w/ 34k mi. First vale check was OK, so left CCT alone. I'm planning on having to shim some intake valves next time and doing the CCT then, unless my engine tells me something different. ;)

BTW - doing the valve check isn't all that tough. clicky
Thanks, I don't have the "marbles" sound for sure, I do suspect I may have some of the "silverware" noise though. Not really prominent, but I think something is there.

I wold love to be able to save the money and do the work myself, but it is just to much for my confidence levels.

It sucks I think I got the most expensive quote out of everyone! With people paying between 280 and 500$, lokks like I will end up with 700-800$! bill, need to find some other way...

G

I'm planning on changing out the old CCT with the new model at the 52K valve check. Seems like a good time to do it, if only for peace of mind, even if I don't need new shims.

Last night, riding without ear plugs around town, I could hear the cam chain while visiting the drive-up ATM at idle. The bike was warmed up, and the noise was nothing unusual. Suddenly, the noise stopped. I assumed that was the CCT kicking in, although it might also have been lubrication effects. WBill

I'm planning on changing out the old CCT with the new model at the 52K valve check. Seems like a good time to do it, if only for peace of mind, even if I don't need new shims.
Last night, riding without ear plugs around town, I could hear the cam chain while visiting the drive-up ATM at idle. The bike was warmed up, and the noise was nothing unusual. Suddenly, the noise stopped. I assumed that was the CCT kicking in, although it might also have been lubrication effects. WBill
No - that's the CCT, guaranteed.