2nd Gear Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR2005*01880

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently joined this forum since I bought a 2005 FJR1300A. I still have not taken it home yet though. When it was going through a multi-point inspection, everything checked out fine except when letting out the throttle in 2nd gear the bike comes out of gear. So the dealership told me now they have to open the engine casing (after they exhausted other possibilities) which takes quoted 9-10 hours. They had records in servive that it was owned by an older gentleman in his 60's and they suggested that he might have kept in in 2nd gear a lot while riding. I'm just concerned that this is happening before delivery of the bike. Should I not be concerned? Has anyone heard of any other problems like this? Any help would be appreciated...

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no "pattern" but it has happened before (though I don't remember reading of an AE).

At least the dealership sounds "stand up". Yes, the cases have to be split to access the transmission where they will determine the exact cause and repair it.

I wouldn't worry. It's likely not "abuse". In an extreme moment it could be caused by a tip-over and the bike has been repaired but I'd assume they would have caught that issue beforehand.

Mike -- if it's an '05, then the OP's "AE" designation is incorrect, since all '05's have clutches. His info shows it to be an '05 with ABS, which makes it an FJR1300A.

I'm thinking that it's probably a good thing the dealer still has it and is willing to address the issue. They likely have the tranny apart (noting 9 hour estimate).

Not gonna do a search, but this has gotta be caused by damaged dogs or bent internal shift forks, doesn't it? And if so, it's more likely than not caused by previous owner hammering on the shift lever at the wrong time under the wrong conditions. Either way, once fixed, I wouldn't expect a problem later -- if the dealer has the tranny open, they're likely gonna make right whatever they find there.

Mike -- if it's an '05, then the OP's "AE" designation is incorrect, since all '05's have clutches. His info shows it to be an '05 with ABS, which makes it an FJR1300A.
I'm thinking that it's probably a good thing the dealer still has it and is willing to address the issue. They likely have the tranny apart (noting 9 hour estimate).

Not gonna do a search, but this has gotta be caused by damaged dogs or bent internal shift forks, doesn't it? And if so, it's more likely than not caused by previous owner hammering on the shift lever at the wrong time under the wrong conditions. Either way, once fixed, I wouldn't expect a problem later -- if the dealer has the tranny open, they're likely gonna make right whatever they find there.

Sorry yes its a 4 gear 2005 ABS my mistake. Just nervous about what they'll find. But at least they're opening up the whole casing and wanting to fix it

Sorry yes its a 4 gear 2005 ABS my mistake. Just nervous about what they'll find. But at least they're opening up the whole casing and wanting to fix it
Another correction: it's a 5 speed constant mesh tranny with manual clutch. (An AE, OTOH, was offered as an optional configuration from '06 through '09, was still a 5 speed constant mesh transmission, but replaced the manual clutch and clutch lever with electronic shift.)

If the bike's otherwise good, there's probably no reason to worry once they get the tranny fixed.

Another correction: it's a 5 speed constant mesh tranny with manual clutch. (An AE, OTOH, was offered as an optional configuration from '06 through '09, was still a 5 speed constant mesh, but replaced the manual clutch and clutch lever with electronic shift/clutching.)

If the bike's otherwise good, there's probably no reason to worry once they get the tranny fixed.

OK...fast typing will give ya the 4 instead of 5 lol--my last bike was an FZ1 so I'm REALLY looking forward to this one

Good catch, Rich. I read the body of the post and didn't look at the info under his avatar.

There have been 3 or 4 published issues with the transmission since I joined the different FJR websites in '03. Not exactly the same problems as the FJ1200 and XS1100 transmissions had, considering the numbers of bikes sold and miles ridden.

I wouldn't worry. Once it's fixed the transmission should be solid. Enjoy your new addition.

This issue has been discussed quite a few times. *Some* FJR trannys have displayed this problem and it is generally related to worn dogs or a bent shift fork. In either event, it requires major surgery to correct.
Kinda confused here, you're saying that you are buying a 'new' AE which is the auto clutch version introduced for the '06 model year. Is this correct, or are you buying a 'new to you' 2005? Bottom line, don't accept delivery of the bike until the problem is corrected. It's not going to get better.

Good Luck.

--G

Yes I recently bought of 2005 FJR (so its NEW to me) The dealership is working on it right now...would you recommend not to take delivery of it then?

@01880

Taking delivery is entirely up to you. I would make sure that the problem is repaired before accepting the bike. If it is internal, then the repair is quite a few $$$ when you look at labor + parts.

--G

They have the engine out and the transmission exposed and they don't know the problem. :eek:

OR.....

It's been days and they haven't had time to work on the bike yet, so they don't know the problem. :blink:

There's a vast difference between the two scenarios.

They have the engine out and the transmission exposed and they don't know the problem. :eek:
OR.....

It's been days and they haven't had time to work on the bike yet, so they don't know the problem. :blink:

There's a vast difference between the two scenarios.

Well...they said that had the bike apart and on the stand 2 days ago...so I don't know if they are lying to me and have just been busy since its been 85 out here in MA which is unheard of in April OR they can't figure the problem out with the tranny. I'm going tp pay them a visit tomrrow after work and see what's up...Till Later and thanks for following up with me

There are two reasons for the problem you describe;

Either the shift forks are bent (from a missed shift or from forcing the transmission to shift) and the dogs are not fully engaging or else after blowing a shift, the leading edges of the dogs that engage 2nd gear are rounded, which is a weak point in the design on the FJR transmission.

Riders are a lot more prone to blow a 1-2 shift because of the long throw through neutral, so it shows up most often in 2nd. Under the extreme pressure of WOT the dogs just force themselves apart - which wouldn't happen so easily if the shift forks were tight and aligned.

All it takes is one missed shift to start the process.

Yamaha has redesigned the dogs for 2008 - they added one and it had a deeper cut to help prevent the problem form occurring. I believe that the parts are retrofittable to previous year bikes.

Do not pay for the bike unless it has been repaired, and even then, insist on a warranty (and especially against leaks) for some minimum period of time . . . or else go looking for an alternate machine, though given new (hopefully redesigned) parts inside, you are probably fine with this bike, if the dealer puts it all together properly.

I think it's gotta be a bent shift fork. If it were the engagement dogs, it would feel like it was slipping, but, remain in gear. The bent shift fork would prevent the gear from fully engaging. However, depending on how many times it has happened, by not having the gear fully engaged, it may have also rounded off the dogs, so, they should look closely at both.

I think it's gotta be a bent shift fork. If it were the engagement dogs, it would feel like it was slipping, but, remain in gear. The bent shift fork would prevent the gear from fully engaging. However, depending on how many times it has happened, by not having the gear fully engaged, it may have also rounded off the dogs, so, they should look closely at both.
Yep...what he said.

Yep...what he said.

The finale:

So I went to the dealership and they finally had time to write up a work repair order on it. You were right. It was bent and torn shift forks as well as some other gearing problem that I couldn't understand fully (I'm not a mechanic). The parts are available and are on order. It was $1000 in parts and $1800 in labor for a total of $2800. Of course, I don't have to pay for it since they caught it and it was a safety issue (duplicated the same problem over and over) The bike is fully covered all parts and labor for 60 days not only for this issue but for anything else that might come up during that time. They gave me a 7-10 day estimate to get the parts in and do the work. They also said they are using today's parts which are fine with the older bikes and should prevent the problem in the future. Nice to know some dealerships aren't out to just screw you! I appreciate all the help! Too bad you guys don't live closer, I'd go out for a ride with you when I finally get it.

Nice outcome 01880. Sounds like the dealer you're working with is a keeper. With new parts in the tranny and everything back to spec, you'll have many miles of enjoyment. Good catch before taking delivery and glad it worked out.

--G