2nd Gear Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I had my bent shift fork/worn gear dog issue, it took 3 weeks to get all the parts and another week or two to install everything in my garage. Same issue though, parts on back order. The good thing is, you will have updated guts for smoother shifts.

When I had my bent shift fork/worn gear dog issue, it took 3 weeks to get all the parts and another week or two to install everything in my garage. Same issue though, parts on back order. The good thing is, you will have updated guts for smoother shifts.
Yeah you're right...I will enjoy that having the newer parts which should hopefully solve any problems in the future :yahoo:

THE FINAL UPDATE (YEA!!)

I FINALLY took delivery of the bike tonight!! It's in pristine condition. Although I haven't been able to to ride it yet and its suppose to rain tomorrow :dribble: , but the good news is the weekend is suppose to be beautiful! :yahoo:

So the news about the parts: The report says that they tore down the motor and found worn gears, bent shift fork, and worn out shift drum. The parts are as follows:

A bunch of O rings and gaskets for crankcase cov, muffler, and exhaust pipe, strainer cov, and other various parts (21 parts=$210)

shift cam assembly=$219.99

shift 1 fork=$152.99

Shift shaft assembly=$105.99

5th wheel gear=$147.99

2nd wheel gear=$90.49

3rd wheel gear=$95.49

barnett steel plate=$55.92

barnett friction plate=$111.93

...and other various small pieces to put it all together

Plus the labor was 1878.00 for a grand total of $3198.22 minus some discount of 861.19 = $2337.03.

I guess everyone that said it will be worth it was right...

Thanks to everyone for their input and help!!!!

The fun part!!!!!___________________________It was found that there was no Y.E.S. warranty on the vehicle so Yamaha did not cover the repairs...the dealership just wants to do the right thing. I suspect they may have lost a little money on the bike since they didn't know it had these problems. However, the service and detailing look fantastic. They even put on front pegs free of charge since they knew I has been waiting so long! I would recommend this dealership to all of my friends who are riders!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's me, this sounds like the kind of dealership that would've earned my loyalty -- a place that gets first chance at my money on those things I'll be needing in the future. We're lucky to have a place like that locally (Roseville Yamaha), but the dealer from whom I bought mine (new) in Nevada wasn't like that. You're lucky when you find support like you got at a local dealer, and those are the ones we all want to stay in business.

Conga rats on the new bike, BTW. You're gonna love it!

Last edited by a moderator: