3 AE's at D&H

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
:yahoo: Ok, come and get 'em if YOU ORDERED them. I'm heading down tonight, picking it up tomorrow. Anyone else pickng up and FJR tomorrow? If so, FJRocket will be there around lunch time... regrettably to truck the bike home. Of course, I'll have to take the obligatory test ride to make sure everything is OK. :yahoo:

Yes---Halleluiah, one of them is mine. I will do a fly-in ride-out next week to pick it up. Will try to find some crooked roads on my 700 mile ride home. :yahoo:

Congratulations Matt. Now you can order an 07 and start the wait all over again. Expect to see you in September down in Arky land.

Chester

:yahoo: Ok, come and get 'em if YOU ORDERED them. I'm heading down tonight, picking it up tomorrow. Anyone else pickng up and FJR tomorrow? If so, FJRocket will be there around lunch time... regrettably to truck the bike home. Of course, I'll have to take the obligatory test ride to make sure everything is OK. :yahoo:
You're down there as I'm typing this but CONGRATS!!

I presume you are trailering it back because

a- emergency molar removal on Sat. so NO joy riding :D ,

b- RAIN :eek: is forecast :D , or

c- you're saving all your ironbutt miles for an IB event :D

See you in September in MO/AR on Smitty's ride.

Now we'll see if Petey's '06 is FASTER than your '06... :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Now we'll see if Petey's '06 is FASTER than your '06... :D
Congrats Matt! :yahoo: I was wondering if you would have it in time! I might try and sweet talk you into letting me take it for a spin at WFO! :p

As for Petey, I I bet he is smooth and fast on ANYthing he rides! That man is incredible on 2 wheels!

I talk to Matt this afternoon. He is on his way home with his new(faster silver) AE. Congrats Doc... Smitty :p

Home again, home again, Jiggidy Jog.... Just under 1K on my old truck we're back!

Nosecone, you're AE is in the crate. My AE was in the crate. There was an AE sitting there when I showed up, and I thought it was mine. Tech SAID it was mine. I looked it over. SWEET. Took the seat off, sat on it, yadda yadda. Looked at the VIN number.

FREAKING 000007. NOW HOW COOL IS THAT? CAN I GET NUMBER 007??

Jerold comes over. "I've never gotten a serial number that low from Yamaha".

Me,"That's YOUR bike, isn't it?"

Jerold.... slight nod.....

Me...very bummed... :(

Well, OK, only slightly bummed. I got number 127. And the instant mileage works.

Tech apologized to me. He said he was told it was my bike. But the paperwork had already been stamped out for all three of the AE's in there.

Here's my synopsis after TWO WHOLE MILES ON THE BIKE:

I can touch the ground, but not flat footed. Better than the '04. With the Corbin seat, I should flat foot.

With the bars in the center position, they are quite nice. With them set back, they should be good. With Doug Hines risers, the position should be sweet.

The windshield is going to get the RAD'S NUTS mod. I'm so used to the way I have my '04 tipped back, I'm going to change it.

There is NO room for an Audiovox servo under either seat. The entire front seat area is takes up by the computers for the shifter. The CCS-100 on the AE is going to have to go under the saddle bags. Crap.

THAT THROTTLE SPRING/GRIP IS THE WORST GODDAM THING I'VE EVER RIDDEN. WHY DID THEY EVER MAKE THAT FUCKIN THING THAT TIGHT AND STRONG? :angry2: :angry2: :angry: NOTE TO SELF, FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS IS REMOVE THE ENTIRE MIDDLE SPRING, and CONSIDER ONE OF THE OTHER SPRINGS. SHEESH!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

This bike is HEAVY. It feels heavier than my '04. It also feels more stable. A LOT more stable.

I only honked the horn twice using the thumb shifter.

Neutral is worthless. Useless. Don't need it. ;) :p

Downshifting is a breeze. Upshifting sucks. It will probably take me a long time to get the sweet spot. OF COURSE IF THE FUCKING THROTTLE WASN'T LIKE A RUSTED BOLT, IT WOULD BE EASIER TO GET USED TO. (Man, that thing is TONS worse than I EVER remember the earlier models being! MUCH WORSE! And I have CTS <_< )

The bike sounds a little different. It did seem cooler. The dispay is nice. The gauges (speedo) could be made easier to read. Not that I pay that much attention.

Petey will always be faster than me, regardless of what we're riding.

All the previous threads were dead on about the AE. Although I don't get the complaints about the progressive throttle being twithchy. Of course I don't have a real clutch, so what do I know.

That trip back was interesting. Man, the slab was PACKED. I get to Nashville, it's bumper to bumper, stop and GOGOGO. Thunderstorm hits, deluge begins, can't see ten cars ahead. Phone rings. Of course, it's Smitty. His timing is always spot on.... NOT. (JK)

In the AM, depending on the weather, I'm either riding or cutting off that freaking spring, then starting the cruise install. That's the PRIMO effort.... besides riding of course.

Ok, Smitty, See you on MONDAY, BABY!!!!

(Oh, my bike has battleaxes.. ick....)

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to Jerold this morning and he said one of the three had a 000007 vin. Cool. But mine was 000125. Well maybe the guys on the assembly line had more practice by the time they got to ours.

I'll put the Grip Puppies and Skyway sliders on when I pick the bike up. The Throttlemeister and other mods will have to wait until I get it home. Not much time until WFO 5. I will start out July 23 for a scenic tour enroute to Reno. Hope the bike and I are a good fit.

Happy Clicking