30+ Days around Oz on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cejay

Reaction score
Well most of the hard work is done, the trailer is set up ready for the trip and most of the packing has started, have fitted the gearsack rack to the FJR after cutting of the brackets that mounted it to the ST1100 and unbolting the brackets that mounted it to the CBR1100XX it now has a new home.

fjr0062vq9.jpg

It looks a little rough at the moment but when I return I will have it bead blasted and powder coated, Shit I will even give it a new bag.

Spent most of the evening sorting out my gear, what is essential, what may save my arse and what will keep me comfy!!! need a bigger trailer. Have packed the essentials including emergency repair kit, tyre and tube repair kit, first aid kit, beer, Jack Daniels, more beer and JD.

Have charged the trailer battery, fridge is on mains, cooling down ready for food packing tomorrow, all the electrics have been tested, bike will have no probs keeping fridge running and recharging 2nd battery, have a solar charger to help whilst I am enjoyhing the Ozzie bush. Pillows, sleeping bags, stoves, chair and did I mention beer and Jack Daniels have been packed.

fjr0060cm2.jpg

Spare has been mounted under the rear of trailer, pots, pans, cooking utensils, 2 can openers, stubbie cooler, glass, beer and JD have also been packed. Have loaded my MP3 player with 500 of my favourite beats, Gps has been loaded with tomorrows maps, camera batteries are on charge, have packed 240v inverter for charging batts, running laptop and watching dvds.

My wife said don't be in a rush to get anywhere if it takes 4 weeks thats cool, if it takes six thats fine too. I might never go back home....

Will keep the updates coming with pics

Cejay

Last edited by a moderator:
and did I mention beer and Jack Daniels have been packed.
When we leavin'?

Spring is in the air and a young man's heart turns to a month on a motorcycle. Have a great trip.
About 10 hours from now

One day would love to do it over there but right now, have too much of this beaut country to see...

BTW don't know if I qualify for young at 50

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck in your travels. Take lots of Pic's for us.
Will do fella, Wish u were here, these trips are gr8 with numbers but "I Will Survive" Tomorrow I expect to do about 700 klm and will be camping in the Oz bush at least 150 klm from the nearest person, camp fire, JD and steak on the Barbie, yeah it'lll be grand.....

Cejay

Oh, man, this brings back fond memories of camping with the Feej. Very cool trailer, by the way. Be sure to get us lots of pics with the camp set up. We want to see just how much stuff you packed in that thing.

Have a great trip Cejay.

I took 12 days to ride from Perth to Sydney on a VFR800 in 2004. The only advice I can give is try to be at your destination by 4.00pm each day to aviod the kangaroos. (They are worse than the deer over here!!). The other peice of advice is to watch out for wedge tailed eagles as you cross the Nullabour. The wedge tailed eagles feed on the dead kangaroos during the day, mowed down by the road trains the night before. When you ride along at 70mph they are so full of kangaroo meat that they have trouble taking off. They have a tendency to get panicked as you get closer and fly into your path. You do not want to hit a bird with a 10ft wing span at any speed.

Safe travels.

LAroo

PS The drop bears can also be nasty at night!

Oh, man, this brings back fond memories of camping with the Feej. Very cool trailer, by the way. Be sure to get us lots of pics with the camp set up. We want to see just how much stuff you packed in that thing.

Got to the stage I had to start pulling shit out, have packed most of the heavy gear on the bike and the bulky stuff in the trailer, will carry 5 litres of water, 5 litres of spare fuel, and 5 litres of beer (just in case I don't make town for the night).

Seriously, I have towed trailers b4 and am and experienced 4wd traveller, so I do know what to expect...

Look fwd to keeping you informed.

Cejay

Have a great trip Cejay.
I took 12 days to ride from Perth to Sydney on a VFR800 in 2004. The only advice I can give is try to be at your destination by 4.00pm each day to aviod the kangaroos. (They are worse than the deer over here!!). The other peice of advice is to watch out for wedge tailed eagles as you cross the Nullabour. The wedge tailed eagles feed on the dead kangaroos during the day, mowed down by the road trains the night before. When you ride along at 70mph they are so full of kangaroo meat that they have trouble taking off. They have a tendency to get panicked as you get closer and fly into your path. You do not want to hit a bird with a 10ft wing span at any speed.

Safe travels.

LAroo

PS The drop bears can also be nasty at night!
Shit yeah with the DB's, but seriously, I have crossed the simmo on my own, and have done many 1000s of klms around Oz in varous types of transport, I met my wife on a SR500 and we have been together for 23 years (yeah I know murder would have been cheaper), but she shares my passion, has her bike license and isn't averse to puting 1000 plus klms on the bike herself. I am well up on the wild life and do not plan to waste good drinking time on riding during the evening (especiallly with the risks involved).

Thanks for your support , look forward to keeping you informed...

How much dirt road riding will you have to do?
Dont expect to do a great deal of dirt riding but I must admit, i did think about riding the oodnadatta track on the way north. Athough this tack is touted as being a 4WD track, I have driven it a number of times and reckon it is do-able. But with the recent rains we have had and 850 klms of mud, I might just give it a miss.

My first run will be an easy stretch, Adelaide to Pt Augusta (300 Klms) then Coober Pedy about 550 klms with only a fuel stop in between. BTW Coober Pedy is only a Y Junction wth a pub, Caravan Park, Fuel Station and some Mining Areas.

Cejay

Day One 26/10/2007

Left home at 09:15 after finally getting packed, had to fuel up just down the road but noticed considerable weaving from the trailer (tail wag), this was affecting the FJR from only 75 kph. This does not feel good, I had a milk crate with water, gas cannisters and a couple of odds and sods, perched at the rear of the trailer, I suspected that I needed more weight on the drawbar and less on the arse end of the trailer so after filling with fuel I moved the crate to the front. The difference was immediately apparent, I could now cruise at 95 kph before the weave set in albeit much more controllable this time. Port Wakefield (80 klms distant) was to be my first stop, a chance to check all of the fittings and fixings and make sure nothing was coming loose.

After leaving Port Wakefield I got brave and slowly increased my speed to 105 kph indicated. So far so good, a little tail wag but acceptable, it pulled back in line after a short period, I suspected that the Tow Bar was the main culprit, it had more flex than I would of liked for a heavier trailer. I decided to turn the "Gearsack Bag" around on the rack and shifted the crate to the rack on the rear of the bike, thus eliminating some weight on the trailer. This had a very favourable affect and I was able to increase my cruise rate to 110 kph indicated, any faster and fuel efficiency would start to suffer (I was effectively towing a 4 foot wide brick).

That's when the fun began, I was feeling rather confidant and had accelerated to 120 kph a few times with no ill effects, but whilst overtaking a B' Double at 135 kph, as I cleared the slipstream, the side wind sent me into an almost uncontrollable tank slapper. I say almost uncontrollable because I am here tonight typing this out, the bars where flicking 6 inches fore and aft as I grappled for control. After what seemed like an eternity the weaving slowly started to subside and I got the speed down to a more manageable 100 kph. The truck driver at the side of me was wide eyed in amazement, I'm sure he, as did I, was expecting the inevitable high side. Anyways I now know the limit, the rest of the day was uneventful apart from the heat and my confidence returned quickly but approaching a wurley wurley (mini twister that springs up in the Ozzie bush) I quickly dumped my speed as i passed through the centre.

Wildlife encountered - 1 Bearder Dragon (30 cm Lizard near Port Augusta)

End of day at Glendambo 18:04 - Distance travelled 576 klms

Costs so far

· Fuel $78.02

· Beer $3.50

· Powered camp site at Glendambo $18.50

· Look on my face after tank slap Priceless

Day Two 27/10/2007

Day two I awoke to the wind rattling my canvas and new this was not going to be a day for riding, especially towing a trailer. Packed up and under way by 07:30 the first ten minutes back in the saddle felt good, this soon turned to a feeling of "are we there yet" as I was buffetted by 80 kph winds coming from the frt right (North). This had me using only the left side of the tyres for the next hour.

Glendambo to Coober Pedy (the next available fuel, well actually the next available anything) is 260 klms and as I had been managing 300 klms easy on my first day felt this would be pretty much the same, that is until I realised the effect the wind was going to have on my fuel mileage. I did a check on my instantaneous fuel useage and the alarm bells immediately rang, If I tried to maintain my current 95 kph (any higher was too dangerous) I would fall short of my destination by a big margin. The next step was to clear the avg fuel mileage indicator to get a clearer picture of my current situation, then whilst monitoring that I was able to find a speed that would give me sufficient fuel range. This turned out to be 75 kph! This was gonna be a long one.

Yesterday I had passed the leaders in the "World Solar Challenge", an annual event run from Darwin to Adelaide in aid of testing and proving Solar Technologies. There had been all manner of strange vehicles coming towards me. By now I was travelling north and the wind gusts had increased the temperature was now climbing to 37 celcius and I now had to contend with dust and sand storms reducing visibility to 100 metres at times. It was about this time I reckon I passed the last of the solar challenge entries, a Chillean group I think.

Finally I had to have a stop, had been battling for over 2 hours and thirst was getting the better of me, I was just 86 klms away from Coober Pedy and after a quick juice and a nanna, it was back to the grind. Temperature was now topping 38 celsius and I was really feeling the heat. No problems with heat eminating from the bike although I did note that the temp indicator was now showing 50% of the segments, probably due to the headwind and trailer combination as much as ambient temps. Fuel useage was looking good so I decided to push a bit harder and run at 90 kph for the next 45 klms, then the low fuel warning started flashing so it was back down to my 75 again. Made it into Coober Pedy with about 1.5 litres to spare.

My aim was to try to make Alice Springs for nightfall but this was looking very unlikely and it would of been impossible to set up the camper in these winds. As I left Coober the temperature was at 39 and quickly rose to 42 celsius, wind had gotten stronger but was now more erratic first from the left, then the right then the frt .... Dust was becoming a real hassle, everywhere you looked was red, it was even starting to settle in the cockpit of the bike and filling my helmet. Needless to say there was not going to be any respite so I decided to keep charging on and hopefully ride through it.

My fuel range was severelly reduced and as a consequence was having to stop much more often, that in itself was not a bad thing as my arse was feeling the pinch, long k's at low speed makes for a long and uncomfortable time in the saddle. Having done over 600 klms I pulled into a rest stop for a cold beer and some cucumber to slake my thirst and wash away some of the dust, the temp had plummeted to 39 but the wind despite easing in its regularity was still just as gusty. I contemplated setting up camp for the night until the wind picked up again bringing with it another sand storm. Time to move on, next fuel stop was another 90 klms and then only 275 klms to Alice (Iron Butts Gotta Love it).

Erldunda was to be my last fuel stop and option for a powered park site before Alice, I had about 40 mins of daylight left but I had decided it was Alice or bust. About 30 klms further the wind had eased considerably and I was now cruising at 110 kph temperature was now down to 37. This increased speed meant that I was now catching up with the 53 metre long road trains heading north and if I was to maintain my speed, I had to risk passing them. Mindful of the previous days experience I was not looking forward to this event so I crept up to them and decided to overtake very cautiously. As you pull in behind the buffetting is quite severe as the wind was coming from the left frt, but as you pull right to overtake you are in a strange erie silence almost vacuum like with a strong shake and buffeting as you pass each of the three trailers. Pushing the nose of the bike past the truck, you are instantly flung hard right and the trailer wheels flick up gravel and dust from the road shoulder. No tank slapper but still unnerving, I did become more accomplished after my fourth.

Daylight had gone, and 60 klms out it was time for a rest before my final assault, I pulled into a roadside rest stop and the young lad with his girlfreind must have shit them selves as the bright beams of the Yam lit up the back of his van. My eyes were stinging from the dust and the strain of looking for wild life as I pushed on at 110 kph now. The temperature was now plummeting about 1 degree every couple of klms until it finally steadied at 30 celsius. The lights of Alice where now in view and I was ready for a much needed break.

Booking into the "G'Day Mate" (seriously that is the name) Caravan Park and setting up camp took only 15 minutes and then it was time for a cold beer from the Waeco fridge, it was Icy, so cold it gave you a brain freeze, I am glad I brought it along. I only had two beers in the fridge so I jumped on the bike to grab a slab from town, this was not to be as it is illegal to sell takeaways after 09:00pm in Alice, Bummer. I will be staying in Alice for the day to recupperate and take in the sites, hopefully find an internet Cafe where I can send this update.

Wildlife encountered - 2 large Eagles, 1 Fox, 1 Emu and a shitload of dead Roos.

End of day at Alice Springs 21:35 - Distance travelled 936 klms

Costs so far

· Fuel $98.43

· Beer Could not buy any

· Powered camp site at Alice Springs $44.00

Awesome tale Cejay!

And a small world too. I have friends that I knew while living in the Marshall Islands who are now living in Alice Springs.

If you run into Americans Karen and Andrew, tell 'em Wendell and Kay say 'Hi' .

Stay safe and keep us posted on your travels.

Keep the reports coming. We also need to know the type of brew we are consuming so we can have the same when we read the update.

Al