30+ Days around Oz on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry the pics took so long had to wait for my imageshack password, plus have been busy racking up the miles last few days.

Here are some pics

Leaving home

First night at Glendambo

Dust Storm

Parking bay near the SA/NT border

First stop north of Alice

Devils Marbles

NT/QLD Border

Yes it was hot, this is shade temp, road temp was probably closer to 55 or higher.

The Journey so far - the colours denote different days.

and finally the next installment...

Day Three and Four

Spent day three resting and wondering around the town, temp in the arvo rose to 36, so was glad to get some beers from the local bottle shop, don't start serving until 12:30 though. Started rearanging my packing methods to try to relieve some weight in the trailer, have loaded up with way too much food, so must start eating my way lighter.

Bought a paint brush some armorall protectant and spent the afternoon, cleaning the bike, dust was everywhere, when I return home I will need to strip her down and give her a good going over. Needless to say the FJR was given a decent drought breaker.

Day Four was Monday so I made sure to send a birthday greeting to my Grandson before filling up the bike and heading out for a decent ride without the trailer. Covered about 280 klms and really enjoyed the freedom, the speed limit up here is 130 kph so I had a good opportunity to give it a blast. Enjoyed the ride so much without the trailer that I had even considered returning home with the trailer and starting off again without. By the afternoon the luxury of the fridge full of coldies, steak and sausage on the BBQ for tea and I was right again.

The next section of the trip is a long and boring piece of road, especially at 110 kph and it will probably be a couple of days before I am anywhere near and internet cafe. Could not post images earlier as I neglected to bring my login details for image shack, that has since been remedied.

Day Five

Left Alice about 07:30am headed for Tennant Creek and the Threeways Turn Off to Townsville, temp was a pleasant 26 and the wind was gusty but mild. 2 hours later temp up to 34 and wind starting to pick up a bit now. The trailer was tracking really well now, probably a result of better packing and some suspension tweaking on the FJR, I could travel at 110 true speed and even let go of the bars with no head shake or weave.

Stopped for lunch at the Devils Marbles (if you want to know what they are use the net, I am not your geology teacher), as I approached these huge rounded boulders the sky was looking very dark and I suspected there would be some rain. This I would welcome as the temperature was now 40 and the rain would surely cool it down, well as I ducked under the clouds the temperature plummetted to 30, there was even a dozen drops of rain. But 40 klms further down the track and I was out of the clouds and back into scorching sun, the temp had returned to 41 before I reached Tennant Creek.

Turning right at Three Ways, I espied another dark cloud formation approx 70 klms ahead, this must be some real rain and as I got closer it got extremely dark. Within about 10 klms I could see a reddish haze through the inky blackness, I thought immediately that it must be a huge bush fire and was thinking about turning around. I decided to continue a bit further and see if I could not drive through it and all of a sudden I was shunted 3 metres to the left and found myself once again riding at 75 degrees into the worst dust storm I had encounted so far. To late to turn back now I backed off my pace and pushed on. 40 klms further on and I was out the other side, encountered a metre long monitor lizard in the centre of the road, fortunately he saw me in time and run for cover.

After fueling up at Barkly Homestead (just missed big downpour), for the first time on the trip I had a tail wind, taking full advantage I pressed on returning 15 klms/ltr before setting up camp after dark in what appeared to be the perfect spot. Temp was still above 30 so it was time for a couple of coldies before tea and a very sticky nights sleep.

Distance travelled - 842 klms

Fuel Cost - $111.10 ($181/litre at Barrow Creek)

Day Six

The perfect campsite I had thought I grabbed the night before turned out to be not quite so great, I had set the camper up 2 feet from an ant colony, as i found when they mistook me for breakfast. I was up at 06:00am hoping for an early start while the weather was still comparitively cool (it never went below 29 all night), thats when I noticed the second niggle, there were about a gazillion flies around on me, I felt as if I had put on 3 kilos overnight. After swallowing a couple I knew it was time to get going, weetbix and coffee, fold up, pack up and hit the road. Now I must have one of those fuzzy logic phones that learns its owners ways, I set the alarm for 6 and it duly went off, I cancelled it and put the phone away, 9 minutes later it went of again, I cancelled and put it away, after this happened 4 times and I was about to leave, the only way to stop it was to switch off the power. (I guess it thought I was still home and needed my half dozen snoozes)

Travelling from the rest stop to Camoweal (130 klms) was great, the temp was slowly climbing but the wind was relatively calm, I stopped for a photo at the QLD border and a cold mandarin orange, I met a lady who gave me some advice about the local coppers and speeding, I told her thanks but it was not likely to be an issue. By this time the temp was up to 33 and still only 08:30am.

The next few hours were predictably boring with the wind increasing (once again it was a headwind) and the temperature soaring to 42 by 01:30pm. The roads were getting rougher as the day progressed and I was really starting hanker for that first coldie. By 03:00pm I could not wait anymore, there are very few parking bays on the Hughenden Way or Flinders Hwy but I found one after travelling about 140 klms straight. The rest bays I did find had not a solitary tree for shade but this one had small shelters built with concrete tables and chairs, fortunately the fence gaps for pedestrian access were just wide enough fof the trailer, this was a welcome break with a lie down on the concrete table to relieve my aching arse.

Pulled over at about 08:00pm in a small roadside bay called the Bluff, there was a loan tourist stopped there already, who must have felt quite uncomfortable as I pulled in and set up camp metres from his station wagon, I tried to start a conversation to relieve his anxiety but all I got were one word answers in gutteral english.

I am only 300 klms from Townsville now and will take the afternoon to rest up and find an internet cafe. Now to the bike, I think I may need a new rear tyre but will assess wether it can take me the 1000 klms south to Brisbane in the morning, the trailer has exhibited none of its earlier tail wagging, despite cruising at 120 indicated (based on GPS readings this equates to 113 kph). The tyres on the trailer still look the same as when I left home. BTW for all you owners who have been having low throttle surging problems... I have the answer, put a 190 kg trailer on the back and hey presto! no more surging. I did not realise how bad mine was until I rode the bike trailerless in Alice. Best Farkle for touring - Electronic Cruise Control, also alleviates the heavy throttle action too, after 3,500 klms most of it on cruise, I can not recommend it highly enough.

Distance Travelled - 960 klms

Fuel Cost - $98.70

Day Seven

With only 279 klms to Townsville and the chance for a break I pressed on after brekky through some very enjoyable hillside roads, the temp was a very comfortable 23 as I started but rose to 31 by Townsville.

Booked in to the Raintree motel for a couple of days, a chance to get the laundry done, shower and some R & R before the next leg - down to Brisbane. Back tyre is still holding out so I will look at changing in Brisbane, picked up an oil filter and will change oil there also.

Despite the extreme temperatures and only the FJR and a 24AH lawn mower battery for overnight backup my Waeco 40 litre fridge has not missed a beat, cant say the same for my temporary box, lost another vent and two foam packers yesterday.

Distance Travelled - 279 klms

Fuel Cost $24.50

Sorry the pics took so long had to wait for my imageshack password, plus have been busy racking up the miles last few days.

Here are some pics

Leaving home

First night at Glendambo

Dust Storm

Parking bay near the SA/NT border

First stop north of Alice

Devils Marbles

NT/QLD Border

Yes it was hot, this is shade temp, road temp was probably closer to 55 or higher.

The Journey so far - the colours denote different days.

and finally the next installment...

Day Three and Four

Spent day three resting and wandering around the town, temp in the arvo rose to 36, so was glad to get some beers from the local bottle shop, don't start serving until 12:30 though. Started rearanging my packing methods to try to relieve some weight in the trailer, have loaded up with way too much food, so must start eating my way lighter.

Bought a paint brush some armorall protectant and spent the afternoon, cleaning the bike, dust was everywhere, when I return home I will need to strip her down and give her a good going over. Needless to say the FJR was given a decent drought breaker.

Day Four was Monday so I made sure to send a birthday greeting to my Grandson before filling up the bike and heading out for a decent ride without the trailer. Covered about 280 klms and really enjoyed the freedom, the speed limit up here is 130 kph so I had a good opportunity to give it a blast. Enjoyed the ride so much without the trailer that I had even considered returning home with the trailer and starting off again without. By the afternoon the luxury of the fridge full of coldies, steak and sausage on the BBQ for tea and I was right again.

The next section of the trip is a long and boring piece of road, especially at 110 kph and it will probably be a couple of days before I am anywhere near and internet cafe. Could not post images earlier as I neglected to bring my login details for image shack, that has since been remedied.

Day Five

Left Alice about 07:30am headed for Tennant Creek and the Threeways Turn Off to Townsville, temp was a pleasant 26 and the wind was gusty but mild. 2 hours later temp up to 34 and wind starting to pick up a bit now. The trailer was tracking really well now, probably a result of better packing and some suspension tweaking on the FJR, I could travel at 110 true speed and even let go of the bars with no head shake or weave.

Stopped for lunch at the Devils Marbles (if you want to know what they are use the net, I am not your geology teacher), as I approached these huge rounded boulders the sky was looking very dark and I suspected there would be some rain. This I would welcome as the temperature was now 40 and the rain would surely cool it down, well as I ducked under the clouds the temperature plummetted to 30, there was even a dozen drops of rain. But 40 klms further down the track and I was out of the clouds and back into scorching sun, the temp had returned to 41 before I reached Tennant Creek.

Turning right at Three Ways, I espied another dark cloud formation approx 70 klms ahead, this must be some real rain and as I got closer it got extremely dark. Within about 10 klms I could see a reddish haze through the inky blackness, I thought immediately that it must be a huge bush fire and was thinking about turning around. I decided to continue a bit further and see if I could not drive through it and all of a sudden I was shunted 3 metres to the left and found myself once again riding at 75 degrees into the worst dust storm I had encounted so far. To late to turn back now I backed off my pace and pushed on. 40 klms further on and I was out the other side, encountered a metre long monitor lizard in the centre of the road, fortunately he saw me in time and run for cover.

After fueling up at Barkly Homestead (just missed big downpour), for the first time on the trip I had a tail wind, taking full advantage I pressed on returning 15 klms/ltr before setting up camp after dark in what appeared to be the perfect spot. Temp was still above 30 so it was time for a couple of coldies before tea and a very sticky nights sleep.

Distance travelled - 842 klms

Fuel Cost - $111.10 ($181/litre at Barrow Creek)

Day Six

The perfect campsite I had thought I grabbed the night before turned out to be not quite so great, I had set the camper up 2 feet from an ant colony, as i found when they mistook me for breakfast. I was up at 06:00am hoping for an early start while the weather was still comparitively cool (it never went below 29 all night), thats when I noticed the second niggle, there were about a gazillion flies around on me, I felt as if I had put on 3 kilos overnight. After swallowing a couple I knew it was time to get going, weetbix and coffee, fold up, pack up and hit the road. Now I must have one of those fuzzy logic phones that learns its owners ways, I set the alarm for 6 and it duly went off, I cancelled it and put the phone away, 9 minutes later it went of again, I cancelled and put it away, after this happened 4 times and I was about to leave, the only way to stop it was to switch off the power. (I guess it thought I was still home and needed my half dozen snoozes)

Travelling from the rest stop to Camoweal (130 klms) was great, the temp was slowly climbing but the wind was relatively calm, I stopped for a photo at the QLD border and a cold mandarin orange, I met a lady who gave me some advice about the local coppers and speeding, I told her thanks but it was not likely to be an issue. By this time the temp was up to 33 and still only 08:30am.

The next few hours were predictably boring with the wind increasing (once again it was a headwind) and the temperature soaring to 42 by 01:30pm. The roads were getting rougher as the day progressed and I was really starting hanker for that first coldie. By 03:00pm I could not wait anymore, there are very few parking bays on the Hughenden Way or Flinders Hwy but I found one after travelling about 140 klms straight. The rest bays I did find had not a solitary tree for shade but this one had small shelters built with concrete tables and chairs, fortunately the fence gaps for pedestrian access were just wide enough fof the trailer, this was a welcome break with a lie down on the concrete table to relieve my aching arse.

Pulled over at about 08:00pm in a small roadside bay called the Bluff, there was a lone tourist stopped there already, who must have felt quite uncomfortable as I pulled in and set up camp metres from his station wagon, I tried to start a conversation to relieve his anxiety but all I got were one word answers in gutteral english.

Found out the next day it was a sheilla, probably why she was a bit afraid to talk to me, after all we where at least 100 klms from anywhere.

I am only 300 klms from Townsville now and will take the afternoon to rest up and find an internet cafe. Now to the bike, I think I may need a new rear tyre but will assess wether it can take me the 1000 klms south to Brisbane in the morning, the trailer has exhibited none of its earlier tail wagging, despite cruising at 120 indicated (based on GPS readings this equates to 113 kph). The tyres on the trailer still look the same as when I left home. BTW for all you owners who have been having low throttle surging problems... I have the answer, put a 190 kg trailer on the back and hey presto! no more surging. I did not realise how bad mine was until I rode the bike trailerless in Alice. Best Farkle for touring - Electronic Cruise Control, also alleviates the heavy throttle action too, after 3,500 klms most of it on cruise, I can not recommend it highly enough.

Distance Travelled - 960 klms

Fuel Cost - $98.70

Day Seven

With only 279 klms to Townsville and the chance for a break I pressed on after brekky through some very enjoyable hillside roads, the temp was a very comfortable 23 as I started but rose to 31 by Townsville.

Booked in to the Raintree motel for a couple of days, a chance to get the laundry done, shower and some R & R before the next leg - down to Brisbane. Back tyre is still holding out so I will look at changing in Brisbane, picked up an oil filter and will change oil there also.

Despite the extreme temperatures and only the FJR and a 24AH lawn mower battery for overnight backup my Waeco 40 litre fridge has not missed a beat, cant say the same for my temporary box, lost another vent and two foam packers yesterday.

Distance Travelled - 279 klms

Fuel Cost $24.50

Last edited by a moderator:
This post is darn cool Cejay! Thanks for the great narration and photos - I'm riding vicariously through your adventures.

Keep them coming and ride safe!

Some Ramblings

Having now spent seven days away from home I am really starting to appreciate this great country we live in once again. I have travelled extensivelly in the past but had become a bit preoccupied with the normal suburban grind, buy a house and pay the mortgage, build up a castle and start saving for the future. The thing is, the future is now and tomorrow it will be the past, if we have a dream we need to act on it immediately because fate may take the opportunity away from us. So I suppose that this is my midlife crisis tour and I am going to make the most of it.

Went into the town centre to the "Internet Den" to post my latest update and noticed that my arse cheeks were still very sore, it seems that the heat of the previous days coupled with long hours in the saddle have given me a painful red rash, as a consequence it has provided me with the perfect excuse to spend an extra day in Townsville and explore the sights.

Sitting out the front of the Motel unit this evening talking to my wife, it dawned on me that I had completely immersed myself in the trek, I had no idea what day it was nor even the correct time....now I know I am on holiday. Drinking Four XXXX tinnies and watching Geckos (small translucent lizards with suckers on their feet) dashing about on the eaves above me as they catch a feed of insects attracted by the pale yellow flouros....Yep life doesn't get much better, catcha tomorrow...

Day Eight - Friday (I think)

Realised earlier today, that the motel has a wireless hotspot, saves me having to go into the mall to the "Internet Den", a very fine establishment btw, with a very amicable and helpful proprietor. Spent the morning giving the bike another drought breaker - surely there can't be any more dust. The motel is across the road from a shopping ctr so I wandered over to Coles and restocked my supplies, fruit and veg mainly. Went for a cruise to the beach front and had a walk along the sands, happily taking snaps, would have been a bit more cautious had I realised it was a topless beach (as are most beaches in QLD), especially when the very tasty blonde looked at me as if I was some sort of pervert.

Discovered that my FJR has a serious surging problem, not related to altitude, more likely running way to lean. It is no probs with the trailer but cruising at 40 kph or lower in 2nd was not a lot of fun, especially in 32 celcius with little or no breeze. I am convinced that Townsville has more traffic lights than any other Oz capital city and there is someone watching to make sure any FJR rider has to stop at every single one...

Back at the Motel I am marvelling at a tree that must be much older than the buildings, it sits in the middle of a quadrangle surrounded by units and is about 10 feet around the girth. This tree throws of enough shade (incidentally this was the reason I picked the motel), to shade all 22 unit carparks for most of the day. The motel has filled up pretty much and as I was out of liquid gold (Jack Daniels) and the bottle shop was only across the road it was time to put the trackie pants on and nip over for another bottle. I have been sitting outside in boxers most of the time, as I mentioned earlier about the dreader arse rash, it has been caused by the undie elastic so I have decided to try riding in boxer shorts (yes I will be wearing jeans also for you preverts out there) and try to alleviate the problem somewhat. Jees I am looking fwd to hitting the road again tomorrow.

Well it's time for another JD and a Four XXXX chaser so I will post this and catcha down the line....Cejay

Beach front at Townsville

Didn't realise the girl in the distance was topless

Day Nine - On the road again...

Tried posting yesterday via wireless hotspot but the connection proved unreliable so after spending half hour submitting and resubmitting details I came to the conclusion the provider did not need my $ as much as I wanted their network. Another realisation is that having spent some time travelling at night and lots of time in the day, there are no kangaroos left in the Oz Bush - they have all been killed by road trains, I have not seen a single live one.

Up earlyish and packing the bike, time for one last shower before making tracks, first stop, a servo for fuel, good not to be paying the ridiculously high outback prices(my highest so far $1.81 at Barrow Creek). Temp is a mild 26 but very sticky, the joys of being in the tropics I guess, as I head south on the Bruce Hwy. Only thing is I am heading east according to the GPS, I zoom out on the map and am relieved to find that the road staircases its way along the coast. About 90 klms into the ride I have my second big fright for the journey, as I round a blind right hand sweeper at about 100kph there is a semi trailer on my side of the road pointing straight at me, I know now that I can stop reasonably quickly with the trailer on and not end up jack-knifed. Apparently the semi driver was making a left turn and needed both lanes to get the swing, bloody dangerous act all the same.

Rode for 200 klms before a stop, a bit of a record so far, wearing the boxers is paying off, my next stint was 290, followed by 280 but by now with the temp back up to 36 it was really becoming uncomfortable. Really looking fwd to the cooler weather down south. I have taken the Bruce Hwy because I made only one plan for the whole trip and that was to meet a fella named Doug, to whom I sold my GTS1000 Yamaha the week before departing. The plan was to see him on either Friday evening or Saturday morning, but until my wife pointed out what day it was yesterday, I had a day up my sleeve, but it was now Saturday and I am still over 600 klms away.

My last fuel stop was at Marmor and wanting a shady place for a decent rest and some tucker pressed on south, the road was now passing through undullating hills with lots of sweepers and despite my arse calling out for relief, was a fun ride even with the trailer. 50 klms down the road I dropped into the Calliope River Rest area, noting that 48 hr stays were the max. I parked the rig and pulled out a coldie and rung the missus, whilst on the phone I found a beaut little camp spot 30 feet from the river bank, that despite there being at least 15 vehicles of various types camped up, no one had taken this spot. That was enough for me, I was set up and sat down with a JD 10 mins later, thats when the local youths turned up. It seems that this is the local camp/party spot for the residents of Gladstone - just 25 mins away and Saturday night was party night. Well I figured there goes my quiet night at the river bank so if ya can't beat em, join em and JD in hand thats what I did, they weren't bad kids after all, even noticed that none of them smoked and no drugs at all.

Distance Travelled - 821 klms

Fuel Costs - $84.80

Campsite at Calliope River

Great view from frt door

Day Ten - Who hit me

Rolled over at about 08:00 and pulled the dead cat out of my mouth whilst wondering what ran over me during the night, checked the level in the JD bottle and all was revealed, yep it was a bloody good night. Had contemplated staying another day and relaxing but my fridge had been running for 14 hrs now on a lawnmower battery and probably wouldn't go much further. Then I noticed my phone was nearly flat, a result of all the phone calls made the previous night, I tend to get a bit carried away after a drink or ten. Plugged the inverter in and the 240v charger to give the phone a quick boost, then it was off for a hangover constitutional (a big shit). The rest area had toilets that were suprisingly clean so it wasn't a totally unpleasant experince, pity the bloke that followed me though.

On the way back chatted to some of the other campers and spied the sign (in full view as you enter the rest area) that warned of swimming in the river due to stingers coming in with the tide and suggesting not to camp to close to the river bank due to the crocodiles. oops... now I know why the best spot was free. When I got back to the camper I had a quick coffee and brekky and started to pack up, I was feeling 60% by now so it was time to get going, went to remove the phone from the charger and noticed that the error light was flashing on the fridge. This meant the battery voltage was dangerously low and the fridge would stop functioning imminently, with the camper now in full sun and despite the insulated cover, it would not take long in this heat for the fridge temp to raise and all food to spoil.

Five minutes and I am packed, hitched, waving goodbye and on my way back to the hwy. Athough only 29 celcius, it was extremely muggy and uncomfortable so I was glad to be on the road and feeling the air rush by my face, that is until, thwack... something smacked into the inside of my helmet but did not die, it was close to my left cheek and I could here the buzz of its wings and suspected it to be a bee. Pulling over and checking, I was right, little bleeder was caught in the seam but far from dead, a little deft work with a stick and he was free.

Once again the road was up hill and down dale with sweeper after sweeper, the surface was a bit ordinary but hey, ya can't have everything and this lasted for about 170 plus klms. Stopped at Gin Gin for fuel and a chance to check that the fridge was indeed running normal, no need to worry, everything fine now. If I had a Dollar for every time somebody asked me how the trailer is behind the bike and can you feel it, da no! its only 4 feet wide and weighs 200 kg how could I possibly know it was there. Back on the road after cleaning my visor, butterflies are out in force at the moment and it only takes 2 klms before the first one lines me up and smacks me right between the eyes, why did I bother.

Temp has once again hit 36 and it is most uncomfortable, with the high humidity, even with the wind you can not stay dry, my arse was now caining again and I was soon hunting a shady spot to stop and have some lunch, and at Tiaro I got lucky. I had lunch standing up, mostly salad and fruit, finally finished of the that flaming lettuce (my wife gave me a full lettuce before I left and I have been working my way through it for 10 days) washed down with my penultimate Four XXXX. It was only about 100 klms to Brisbane now and although I was struggling it should of been an easy stretch.

Says who? not long after I hit the dual carriageway and the 110 limit, traffic came to a grinding halt, as far as I could see in frt there did not seem to be any reason for it, just two lanes banked up to buggery and travelling at about 8 kph. After 40 mins of this I had enough and decided to try and forge a new path along the coast, so taking the next exit I headed for the coast (about 10 klms to the east), bollocks a bloody dead end meant I had to go back to the Hwy. This time I passed over the Hwy into Caboolture and tried to find a path inland, there were lots of traffic lights but at least I was moving. I ended up back on the Bruce about 15 klms further south apparently passed the hold up and back to decent speed, only 35 klms to Brisbane but now instead of getting there for late arvo it would be more like tea time.

Got to meet Doug at Capalaba and had a long chat over a coffee before leaving just on dark, heading for the Gold Coast, Big 4 Caravan Park and a chance to chase up an internet Cafe. Arrived at 07:40pm and set up camp in the darkness, had my last beer, finished of the JD and some bangers for a very late tea, went to sleep listening to 7 different renditions of "I've Been Everywhere" on my mp3 player.

Distance travelled - 662 klms

Fuel Costs - $34.97

Park fees - $84.00 ($32.00/night plus key deposit of $20.00)

Current Location - Monday 5th of November

Nice report some awesome country you have to travel. With all the roos down on the road they will make a nice pair of gloves for someone.

What is klms? kilometers = 1000 meters?

Oh just so you know 50 years old is not old by any means

Thanks for sharing. Your ride report is a real treat..I was doing the conversion from centigrade to fahrenheit. lets see double and add 30. Damn hot, even by Sacramento standards. (114?). Keep em coming.

Nice report some awesome country you have to travel. With all the roos down on the road they will make a nice pair of gloves for someone.
What is klms? kilometers = 1000 meters?

Yep a klm is equal to 1.61 miles, too make the gloves you have to fight the eagles for the roadkill first, Big Buggers, I'll pass.

Oh just so you know 50 years old is not old by any means

Too all who are reading this report, glad you are enjoying it and thank you for your support.

Day Eleven - Laundry day

Took it easy today, caught up on my laundry, internet postings, email etc. Took a ride into Surfers but that was a waste, they are still pulling down the Indy track so road closures and detours everywhere, generally traffic bedlam. At least the temp is down now even looks like it may rain, probably will have just cleaned the bike again.

Leaving tomorrow heading back toward Brisbane, saw a bike dealership on the hwy will get my oil changed there if they are accomodating, Back tyre still hanging in will check it in another day. Hoping to make it to Canberra for Friday, there is a rally in the snowies I believe, would like to get to it for Saturday night, maybe catch up with the guys from fjr13.org whilst I am there.

Don't know if I posted my Phone No. before but it is 0400 944 706 if anyone wants to catch up.

Beer $12.00

Internet WiFi - $10.00 for 2 hours

OJ,Powerade & Laundry - $12.60

G'day Cejay, FJReggie here from Tassie. :cold: Love reading ya posts mate. Keep'em comming ehhh!. It's sure an epic trip. I grew up in Townsville (Yeah..Bloody Queenslander) & travelled a lot from Camooweal to Townsville so I've enjoyed your reports. Hope ya liked the XXXX. :alcoholic: I'm planning a ride from Tassie to Townsville next year for 2008 Ulysses AGM. Give us a call if ya interested.

Cheers mate. :drinks:

G'day Cejay, FJReggie here from Tassie. :cold: Love reading ya posts mate. Keep'em comming ehhh!. It's sure an epic trip. I grew up in Townsville (Yeah..Bloody Queenslander) & travelled a lot from Camooweal to Townsville so I've enjoyed your reports. Hope ya liked the XXXX. :alcoholic: I'm planning a ride from Tassie to Townsville next year for 2008 Ulysses AGM. Give us a call if ya interested.Cheers mate. :drinks:
Thanks Reggie, I actually don't mind Four XXXX, am sitting in the bistro/wifi hotspot at the moment drinking another of my fav beers - Carlton Cold....

Day Twelve - I knew it.

Yep 03:00am and the pitter patter of rain drops on the canvas, this continued right through the morning, I now had a dilemma, to pack up in the rain and ride off in the rain or stay another day. No contest, so I wandered of to the local shopping precinct to source some comfortable undies. Found a shop that sold seamless "Structure" undies that looked the job for $7.95 but in Cotton/Lycra, next to this stand where some in boxes - all cotton, Methinks thats gotta be better for $9.95 so I grabbed em' and went looking for oil for the Yamahauler, further along the road was an Autobarn with Castrol mineral based MC oil for $32.00/4 litres, but remembering that the Supercheap across the road also had it, decided against getting it here and having to carry 3 klms back to the Van Park.

Went to BWS and got a bottle of Jim Beam Small Batch instead, just for a sip in the evenings. On the way back I crossed the road to Supercheap and guess what? yep they're closed for renovations today and tomorrow - Bugga. Well back to the Camper to check out the comfy undies and have some lunch, Bugga again, turns out the expensive cotton undies have seams and were quite UNCOMFIE. After lunch back to the shops, get the cheaper undies(which are very comfy indeed) and further on to Autobahn and collect oil, cheap funnel and oil drain pan.

Pull cover of bike and start engine to walm up oil, new filter and oil added, replace tools and seats, look down at left hand muffler it is covered in fresh bird shit, bastard must of been waiting for me to take of the cover. Well also picked up Peter Theomings Motorcycle Atlas of Australia whilst at the shops and happily noted that I will be picking up several of his recommended rides on my planned route to Canberra. Can't wait for tomorrow to get started - rain, hail or shine.

Oil, drain pan and funnel - $39.80

MC Atlas - $29.95

JB Small Batch - $44.95

Extra day at Van Park inc WiFi card - $42.00

Couple of shots from inside Chateau Cejay

Day Thirteen - I Should of known Up at sparrows fart for an early start, weather is dryish has not rained for a few hours but it is overcast, forecast is for rain - everywhere. Well I am parked outside the Van park waiting to hand back the key and retreive my $20.00 deposit, I read a sign that says open at 07:30am, I look at my watch, it shows 07:20, my phone shows 07:22, the clock on the Yamahauler shows 06:10, I have no Idea what the time is, do they have daylight saving in QLD, I know they don't have it in NT, come to think of it I don't even know what day it is.I decide to fill up with fuel (strangely at pump No. 13) whilst waiting for reception, on returning still no success, I am informed that I can hand my key in at the kiosk - it opens at 07:00am, it still is not open, I note that the bike is looking very clean but the cloud cover is increasing and I can smell the rain coming in. Eventually the kiosk opens and upon my request to return the key I am told, yeah no problems will be with you in 10 minutes. Five minutes later someone takes pity on my pacing and agrees to refund my deposit, I am finally on my way, the temp is 20 celsius, but the sky is very dark.My route was to head up to Mt Tamborine and then across to Beaudesert in the west then head south toward Kyogle and Casino. Riding up to Mt Tamborine I am warned of very steep climbs unsuitable to anything less than a Sherpa, I figure people live up there and must be able to drive so I decide on the steep run and I am soon glad of the torque available from the big Yam as I drag the trailer up the steepest climb and around the tightest curves I reckon I have ever ridden - all 2nd and 3rd gear with a few 1st gear bends thrown in for good measure. But what goes up must come down and it's not long before I am riding the brakes in first gear as I drop 7klms back to Canungra, before cruising off to Beaudesert via a flattish valley with some decent sweepers, the rain has caught up and has become a steady drizzle, temp is now 16.Reaching Beaudesert, it is now time to turn south toward Rathdowney on the Mt Lindesay Hwy, this run takes me through a 2 klm wide, lush green valley on an average quality road with multiple mid speed sweepers. At Rathdowney I ride straight past my turn off and have to double back to the Summerland Way, a ribbon of bitumen that snakes its way south through a tight valley, whilst crossing and recrossing Running Creek (this is both its name and description). By time the road reaches the creek it is hugging the side of a narrow gorge and rises and falls steeply as it traverses single lane slippery wooden bridges with 1st gear switchbacks, this would be a fair sort of road if not for the steady drizzle, mud flowing across the road and cows grazing. At the NSW border there is a stop sign patrolled by a solitary park guard, suggesting that you should place a deposit in the tin for the lions club, who were apparently responsible for the previous section of road. Upon crossing the border you enter the Border Ranges National Park and the road gets tighter and steeper, the rain is now heavy and there are intermittent hail storms.

Not far into NSW disaster strikes.... I had been finding it increasingly difficult to slow up and negotiate the steep descents and tight turns across the slippery wooden slat bridges - at one point I almost rode straight into the creek. I had put these difficulties down to the road and weather conditions but as I found it harder and harder to change direction, realization struck home, I had a flat rear tyre. Now I had to find somewhere to pull over, I ended up pulling into a cockies drive about 1klm down the road. Have you ever tried to put the sidestand down with a flat rear tyre, I had to dig a hole for it in order to get the bike to lean to the left before I could dismount. It was then time to unload the bike, disconnect the trailer and find the reason for the flat. A guy on a Honda Deauville pulled over to check that I was Ok, I assured him that I had the means to sort out the problem and he joyfully took of into the heavy rain.Because of all the mud I had ridden through everything was covered in crap, I boosted the bike onto the centrestand and quickly found a split in the centre of the tyre, it looked like either a sharp rock or glass puncture but would probably be repairable - I am so glad I packed the little black snakes. Before I could be sure that this was the source of the leak I had to put some more air in the tyre, so after assembling the handpump I carried, I started pumping for all I was worth - nothing. I had not used this pump for many years and suspected the leather washer was dry, a good spit and it was working again. With the leak confirmed I reamed out the hole, applied a snake to the tool and inserted it into the puncture. Ten minutes later and the tyre was up to 30 psi and holding fine, it was time to reload and head off again, could not believe the difference it made, I must of been riding for quite sometime with the flat.Arriving in Kyogle I rechecked the air and increased to 42 psi, repair was holding, continued on to Casino - Australias Beef Capitol, apparently. Here I found a rest area with a shelter east of the town, I should of turned south. Stopped and had a crunchie and Iced Coffee whilst waiting for the rain to subside. Doubled back on to the Summerland Way heading south to Grafton, this section was basically highway quality road and was completed in heavy rain. Entering Grafton I was greeted with a wall of purple from the flowering Jacaranda trees that lined the road, trully a wonderfull sight. From here I wanted to go back toward the coast and get a photo of the bike at the Big Banana - Coffs Harbour, but did not want to go via the Specific (Pacific) hwy, I turned off at Halfway Creek and worked my way back to Coffs via Glenreagh. This route is much more enjoyable and takes in some rainforest areas and country villages, I stopped at Glenreagh bakery for lunch - ordinary food but good surroundings.

Had originally planned to camp at Coffs Harbour but heavy rainstorms and strong winds suggested that I should head inland to my next destination, I am glad I did because after I turned off toward Armidale via Bellingen and Dorrigo, despite continuing rain the route was a pearler. The first section takes you through a gentle valley before hugging the rock wall and following a large watercourse. Before long you are climbing into the Dorrigo National Park via a brilliant section of road that twists and turns it way up the mountain with supreme views of the rainforest whilst passing numerous waterfalls. The surface was as good as any racetrack and would be especially good in the dry and without a trailer. Unfortunately something had spilled diesel on most of the left hand bends and mixed with the rain made for a very interesting ride, but great all the same. I decided to stay at the Dorrigo Motel for the night, temp was at 13 and bound to go much lower with heavy rains forecast for the evening and night. Arrived at the Dorrigo just in time for happy hour, $2.50 Pints/Schooners and Schooners of Guiness for $3.50 had my fill before heading to the motel room for some JB small batch on the rocks. Whilst sitting at the bar it occurred to me that I have not had much of a run with the weather - too hot, too wet etc... But at the end of the day, it has been a great trip so far...Distance Travelled - 474 klmsFuel Costs - $55.00Motel Cost - $75.00 Dorrigi Hotel/MotelBeer and Guiness - $12.00Food & Drinks - $15.00Day Fourteen Woke up not expecting much change in the weather but was surprised to find it absolutely pissing down, this meant loading up in the rain, Yuck... And so leaving the warmth and comfort of the motel room, at about 08:30 it was off towards Armidale, inland and hopefully some relief from the rain. The temp was 9 celsius and visibility due to low cloud/fog was about 50 metres, this was going to be a fun ride down the mountain. There was not much change in this for at least an hour when finally visibility improved to the point I could increase speed to a level that forced the rain around me.

Sorry this is so hard to follow, wireless connection here is so flakyPulling into Armidale for fuel the rain was still falling and temp had rocketed up to 11, the sky all around me looked very grey and I could see the low cloud covering the tops of the hills in the distance. At least the road was a bit wider and the bends now where more easily negotiated within the speed limits, just a few slippery moments when mid corner bumps would unsettle the trailer with the resulting flow on effect at the bike. Was not much to photograph, even if I was inclined to pull over in the rain to do so, I was not.About 120 klms from Armidale the sleepy little village of Willow Tree beckoned, and it was time for a coffee and a "Mrs Macs" Cheese, Bacon & Beef pie, chatting with the owner who was a bit of a bike nut helped to take my mind of the neck and upper back pain I had been feeling for the last few hours. The only part of me that was warm whilst travelling were my hands (thanks to the heated grips), I was wearing my riggers gloves with the thumbs and forefingers cut out, the cutout was due to my digits being too long for the gloves.The plan had been to try to make Lithgow, but after the fuel stop at Muswellbrook the pain in my neck and shoulders was quite intense and it was increasingly difficult to turn my head. I should have pulled over here for the night but I figured Singleton is only 47 klms down the road I might just make it without the menacing looking black clouds dumping on me. I did make singleton with just steady rain to contend with and rode straight passed a budget motel in the centre of town that was advertising vacancies. After performing a large circuit around the backstreets I ended up opposite the entrance to the motel, it was then with 50 feet and the traffic (I am convinced that everyone in Singleton was looping around to stop me from getting across the road) that the heavens opened and 3 million gallons of water descended on Singleton. I eventually made it into the protection of the motel entranceway only to find a NO Vacancy sign on the door, I am glad there was enough room in the carpark to swing a U-turn Now I had to get back into the traffic and with the rain still pelting I forced my way back on to the road. A little further down I spied another motel, much larger and more upmarket (read expensive) but this was on the opposite side of the road and I had ridden 50 metres past it. After waiting for five minutes for a break in the traffic I glanced back down the road and noticed a side street almost opposite the entrance, a plan was forming. I decided to ride down and hopefully a triple left would put me onto this side street, then it was just a matter of nailing it straight for the entranceway. This was achieved but with wheelspin all across the road and launching the trailer 2 feet in the air as I mounted the spoon drain on the far side of the road. As I dismounted the look of shock on the receptionists face was something to behold, removing my helmet and ringing out my sodden gloves I squelched up to the counter, a puddle quickly forming around me on the carpeted foyer. It was about now I had decided that if it was raining when I woke up I would be staying another day, and guess what, I'm still here.Distance Travelled - 438 klmsFuel Costs - $46.50Motel - $94.00 per night (surprise, surprise it was the only room they had)Food & Drink on the road $9.30Beer and Green Ginger wine - $18.00