4000 Mile Trip...Seeking Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Barnard

Reaction score
I am getting ready to embark on a 3 week trip to the west coast. My 06 has but 4500 miles on it (I have only had the bike for 6 months). It has a new front tire and a rear tire that is about half life. I changed the engine oil and filter. Should I change the final drive gear oil? If so, do I just fill it til it's full or do I need to meter out the recommended amount? The battery is strong. Suspension set right for the loaded weight. I'm packing rain gear and plenty of thermal underlayers...I suspect it will be chilly in the Rockies in mid September. Have a minimal tool kit with tire plugs. I have done some 10 day trips in the past, but this one is my most ambitious by far. Just fishing for ideas for the bike and travel tips.

I just picked up my FJR, so bike specifically, I can't be of much help. Generally speaking though, I always change the oil and the final drive oil before a long (+1,000 mile) trip. Is it necessary? Probably not but I get some peace of mind from doing so.

Are you bringing along a mini compressor or other device to re-inflate a flat after you've plugged it?

Other than basic hand tools to cover minor repairs, I never travel without a pair of vice grips, duct tape, some twine and an extra quart of oil.

Oh yeah, take lots of pics!

Hey Paul:

Good luck and have a great trip.

I would go ahead and change out the rear drive oil beforehand as it's easy-as-pie to do. Just fill to the bottom of the threads (not to the very top) to allow for a wee bit of expansion, close 'er up and you are ready to rock-and-roll.

You might want to REALLY look at that rear tire - it could be toast towards the end of your trip depending on road surfaces, wear, etc.

Have fun and be safe out there.

biknflyfisher

I am getting ready to embark on a 3 week trip to the west coast. My 06 has but 4500 miles on it (I have only had the bike for 6 months). It has a new front tire and a rear tire that is about half life. I changed the engine oil and filter. Should I change the final drive gear oil? If so, do I just fill it til it's full or do I need to meter out the recommended amount? The battery is strong. Suspension set right for the loaded weight. I'm packing rain gear and plenty of thermal underlayers...I suspect it will be chilly in the Rockies in mid September. Have a minimal tool kit with tire plugs. I have done some 10 day trips in the past, but this one is my most ambitious by far. Just fishing for ideas for the bike and travel tips.
You have done a 10 day trip, so I am sure you learned alot from that. Alot of people really want to overpack, especially in the way of clothes. I am about to begin a 15 journey out west and what we (2 of us) carry in the way of clothes, fits easily into one side bag with room to spare. When it comes to clothes there is always a Walmart close by in case you forgot something or despartely need something. Hmmm socks cost $8 for 10 so, .80 a pair...seem disposable to me. We carry washable stuff. Wash in the sink, roll in towel, hang to dry and good to go next morning.

You did not mention if this is a camping or motelling event. I don't camp anymore, too busy riding.

Figure you are going to get maybe 9K tops out of your tires, unless you can arrange for a new set someplace at a dealer, I would consider reshoeing the FJR now. I was exactly in the same place as you and I put new tires on. Final Gear Oil change is a ways off and well under what is recommended for mtce, IIRC. On rear oil fill to top and close up. Supposedly our bikes are suppose to have new plugs every 8K. I have done mine 2 times since last Sept and looking at them they didn't appear to need it, but I did it.

Now I am into to scoping out a plan of where I am going and what roads and places to see. I put a post this morning about a Loop out West in ride reports. This is my style, YMMV. But there are so many great places to see, it would be ashame if you didnt make choices of what you want to see and with 3 weeks available you can see alot.

Some $.02 and oh have a blast on your trip !!

Willie

I would replace that rear tire and start out with fresh rubber. You can save the half used rear and put it back on and use it up locally when you get back. It is no fun wasting a day getting a tire replaced on the road, not to mention the excessive price you'll be paying at most places.

Take some cash with you. You can normally use your credit card for fuel and lodging, but cash is necessary in some places.

I just picked up my FJR, so bike specifically, I can't be of much help. Generally speaking though, I always change the oil and the final drive oil before a long (+1,000 mile) trip. Is it necessary? Probably not but I get some peace of mind from doing so.
Are you bringing along a mini compressor or other device to re-inflate a flat after you've plugged it?

Other than basic hand tools to cover minor repairs, I never travel without a pair of vice grips, duct tape, some twine and an extra quart of oil.

Oh yeah, take lots of pics!

I take a compact bicycle pump with me. It's stone cold reliable and packs away easily. It is a WORKOUT, but the tradeoff is worth it. I am a picture taking fool.

Hey Paul:Good luck and have a great trip.

I would go ahead and change out the rear drive oil beforehand as it's easy-as-pie to do. Just fill to the bottom of the threads (not to the very top) to allow for a wee bit of expansion, close 'er up and you are ready to rock-and-roll.

You might want to REALLY look at that rear tire - it could be toast towards the end of your trip depending on road surfaces, wear, etc.

Have fun and be safe out there.

biknflyfisher

I am going to have a day off the bike in Cali. I figured I'd evaluate the tire as that day approaches and if need be, I can have a new one spooned on. Any input into which gear oil to use?

I would replace that rear tire and start out with fresh rubber. You can save the half used rear and put it back on and use it up locally when you get back. It is no fun wasting a day getting a tire replaced on the road, not to mention the excessive price you'll be paying at most places.
Take some cash with you. You can normally use your credit card for fuel and lodging, but cash is necessary in some places.

I always keep "come home" cash somewhere other than my wallet in the event that I lose it. I only have one CC, so for this trip I think I'll take a check book. I don't even know if people take checks anymore. I haven't written one in forever.

Keep kicking around ideas.

...Other than basic hand tools to cover minor repairs, I never travel without a pair of vice grips, duct tape, some twine and an extra quart of oil...

zip ties are good...and any tools you need to get the front or rear tire off the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hydration, hydration, hydration....I got loopy on my second day of a spring trip from terrain and climate changes. I found energy bars (I prefer the ones with high protein) very useful along the way to keep my brain functioning and my energy level up.

There is a chance of snow in the Rockies at that time of year (well really all year depending on location) and then when you drop down the other side it will be hot and dry - watch the weather in this region.

You didn't say what brand of tire is on the rear but I tend to agree with the others that it may be best to swap it before you start. If you search around the forum regarding tire wear I think you'll find that "half life" is a very deceptive concept especially on certain tires (i.e Bridgestone).

Have a great ride!!

. . . REALLY look at that rear tire - it could be toast towards the end of your trip . . .

biknflyfisher
. . . day off the bike in Cali. I figured I'd evaluate the tire . . . have a new one spooned on.
Great adventure! If you know your destination, contact a dealer there and have them be holding the exact tire you want. Then just ride in and get her done. Local guys here will recommend the right dealer, too. Here in NorCal, it's Roseville Yamaha. And have fun.

...Should I change the final drive gear oil? If so, do I just fill it til it's full or do I need to meter out the recommended amount?.... I'm packing rain gear and plenty of thermal underlayers...I suspect it will be chilly in the Rockies in mid September...... Have a minimal tool kit with tire plugs.
IMO:

Final Drive: Sure give it a fresh change. It's easy and do the whole thing. Refresh all the fluids on a used bike, sooner than later.

Cold Wx: Thermal layers will only do so much, then you are one with the cold temps --especially after more than a couple hours or so below 40-degrees. If you have the time to install an outlet and get a heated liner (I personally like the Warm-n-Safe with remote controller) you will thank the gear 10X over if you need it. Check CycleGear for quick help, expect $250 or so for all you need. Plus you save so much weight and bulk with one heated layer.

Cold Wx Plan B: change route if snow forecast. Go further south--a couple hundred miles can make a big difference--and some great routes there in New Mex. Maybe you can catch part of the SW-FOG FJR rally being held in the Taos area Sept 16-19. Clicky here: SW-FOG info It is a blast to see and ride with other Feejers, even if just a day enroute.

Tire Repair: My minimal "sticky string" repair kit served me well far from home. Held perfectly till end of tire. Your compact bike pump will be fine, as long as it is reliable, as you mentioned.

Other: If using a stock seat and going >500 miles a day, wear Underarmour briefs instead of cotton and apply Gold Bond liberally, before during and after.

Have mucho fun.

Zip ties, definitely, and a bit of velcro (both sides) often come in handy. Deet is good to have when you need it. A few plastic bags of various sizes seem to help if it rains. Hat for time off the bike. Spare batteries for those things that need 'em. AAA guides or GPS with hotel/motel/campground listings - normally not req'd but for those few times when you need to find something nearby...fast......

i'd replace that tire now. No point finding out the tire doesn't last as long as it should. My rear was worn but fine, until i got back froma 300 mile trip to find metal showing. The wear strips hadn't been touched yet. Also you want a fun trip, and a new tire helps that. If you have snow, a new tires tread might help.

Buy a tire pump to store in your bag. i use the Slime pump, i forget which one but it was about $35, very small.

Take a camel back, you can drink up while driving with out stopping.

YMMV

I live in the northern Rockies and ride a lot in the Northwest. We chip-seal highways out this way and tire life is surprisingly short (best I've done is 6,800 on a PR II "B"). As others have recommended, start with a fresh one. Sometimes even a tire that appears "decent" will suddenly show cords 100 miles later; then you're at the mercy of a dealer (which won't likely be open on Sunday and Monday) and dealers can be few and far between. Also, keep a constant eye on the weather - it can be fickle. We had fresh snow at about the 7,000-foot level yesterday. If cool weather and precip are forecast, mountain passes will have snow. But autumn is a great time of year to ride in the west. Be safe, have great fun.

...Should I change the final drive gear oil? If so, do I just fill it til it's full or do I need to meter out the recommended amount?.... I'm packing rain gear and plenty of thermal underlayers...I suspect it will be chilly in the Rockies in mid September...... Have a minimal tool kit with tire plugs.
IMO:

Final Drive: Sure give it a fresh change. It's easy and do the whole thing. Refresh all the fluids on a used bike, sooner than later.

Cold Wx: Thermal layers will only do so much, then you are one with the cold temps --especially after more than a couple hours or so below 40-degrees. If you have the time to install an outlet and get a heated liner (I personally like the Warm-n-Safe with remote controller) you will thank the gear 10X over if you need it. Check CycleGear for quick help, expect $250 or so for all you need. Plus you save so much weight and bulk with one heated layer.

Cold Wx Plan B: change route if snow forecast. Go further south--a couple hundred miles can make a big difference--and some great routes there in New Mex. Maybe you can catch part of the SW-FOG FJR rally being held in the Taos area Sept 16-19. Clicky here: SW-FOG info It is a blast to see and ride with other Feejers, even if just a day enroute.

Tire Repair: My minimal "sticky string" repair kit served me well far from home. Held perfectly till end of tire. Your compact bike pump will be fine, as long as it is reliable, as you mentioned.

Other: If using a stock seat and going >500 miles a day, wear Underarmour briefs instead of cotton and apply Gold Bond liberally, before during and after.

Have mucho fun.

Plan B is the cold weather plan. I DO NOT ride well cold. I'll be more than happy to tuck tail and run south. A member here hooked me up with a good deal on a Russell Day Long saddle that is my savior. My butt has always been a limiting factor.

Post your route so we can help out with the local roads to not miss and the ones to avoid.

Where is your west coast destination?