4000 Mile Trip...Seeking Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure and take a flashlight for Pete's sake!

Just curious? What are you going to do if your boots and gloves get wet?

Have someone who cares for you tie a bell under your bike.

Just finished a 5,433 mine trip from Minnesota to Portland OR down to San Diego Back up to Twin Falls Idaho by the way of Reno Nevada and back home to Minnesota with the wife on the back all the way. Have a great and safe ride. New rear tire and oil change before you go and other than that you are good to go.

While I agree with many of the previous posters - change that rear puppy before you leave, don't carry too many clothes (I still overpack after years of LD riding), I do wash clothes in a sink at the end of the day and after wringing them out lay them over lampshades to dry - there are a couple of suggestions I never do.

I never carry much cash. For my last ride, 9K miles to the west coast, I started out with $100 in cash in my pocket and returned with over $80. EVERYBODY take a cc and atms are everywhere I might ride. Even stpping at Mickey D's for coffee in the AM is a CC swipe.

I don't carry a first aid kit. My feeling is if anything really serious happens a first aid kit would only be useful to support my head.

Other than the tool kit that came with the bike I don't carry tools. If the tool kit was more visible I would have removed it long ago. If you plan on riding on roads where your bike might really be nicked up (Dalton Highway) take some duct tape.

I'm not a big fan of the rain but it would never stop me unless it was really terrible (= dangerous to ride in). Snow on the other hand is a completely different matter. After riding through Donner Pass in the snow I can safely say next time I'll wait it out.

As others have noted drink plenty. I usually get some lo cal energy drink or soda at every gas stop.

If you think the weather is going to be chilly then layers of clothes are your friend. When I rode to Alaska I never expected it to be cold in mid August. :dribble: It was 36 one morning in the Yukon Territory. I ended up with a tee shirt, shirt, a sweat shirt, my waterproof jacket liner & my riding jacket. Warm as toast.

Although I never have much of a plan when I start (except some vague idea of a destination), I always have some idea where I am going to end up at the end of a day. By 2 PM I usually am pretty sure and will call ahead to make room reservations. Takes all the pressure off of worrying about not finding a place to stay.

Enjoy the ride!

Iron Butt site has some great tips even if you're not doing 12,000 miles over a 32 hour period.

I am getting ready to embark on a 3 week trip to the west coast. My 06 has but 4500 miles on it (I have only had the bike for 6 months). It has a new front tire and a rear tire that is about half life. I changed the engine oil and filter. Should I change the final drive gear oil? If so, do I just fill it til it's full or do I need to meter out the recommended amount? The battery is strong. Suspension set right for the loaded weight. I'm packing rain gear and plenty of thermal underlayers...I suspect it will be chilly in the Rockies in mid September. Have a minimal tool kit with tire plugs. I have done some 10 day trips in the past, but this one is my most ambitious by far. Just fishing for ideas for the bike and travel tips.
anything I can do from here, let me know...you say the tire is about half life...so how many miles was the half?

I've done a 3500 mile trip Nawlins' to Dallas to DC to Nawlins' if I can be of any advice

make sure the bike is 100% including tires, spares, battery, etc.

I use the www.RFTW.com planning list BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

or google "checklist site:fjrforum.com" or "travel" or "toolkit"

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=31030

My 06 has but 4500 miles on it (I have only had the bike for 6 months). It has a new front tire and a rear tire that is about half life. ...Should I change the final drive gear oil? ...

Just fishing for ideas for the bike and travel tips.
A) so that must be the original rear tire. I'd use up the rest on the flat area before the Rockies. Out here original tire gets 6000 miles, maybe.

So call ahead and have your flavor of rear tire waiting for you at a CO or NM area dealer / tire changer.

That way you have fresh rubber for the twisty, away from home, roads that you will love on your trip.

B ) gear oil change ... whatever

C) travel tips ... well I don't overplan. That time of yr you won't need motel reservations anywhere.

I take 2 pr. gloves, to keep my favorite pr. from getting wet. $13 bought me a Cramp Buster (wide version) for the throttle grip.

Lot of beauty ahead of you, enjoy.

Be sure and take a flashlight for Pete's sake!
Just curious? What are you going to do if your boots and gloves get wet?

Have someone who cares for you tie a bell under your bike.
I have a flashlight in the tool kit. It has the headband on it! I will have a back-up pair of gloves and I have some top quality rainwear that has worked well for me in the past. The overboot thingies included.

Great ideas everyone. Thanks. I thought of one other thing this morning. Calling my credit card company and telling them about the trip. On my last long trip they shut it down on me. I was able to reactivae it, but it was an inconvenience.

I have spent over 20 years in the military life. It is so hard for me not to plan details. I am an active member of www.advrider.com and have made plans to meet and stay with lots of those folks along the way. The first part of the trip is planned out. I have a riding partner that has friends in Tahoe that we are going to stay with. Once we arrive in Tahoe, I'm going to follow. This is the way things look for the first part of the trip.

09/06 Weatherford TX

09/07 Amarillo TX

09/08 Salida CO

09/09 Rock Springs WY

09/10 Blanding UT

09/11 Santa Fe NM

09/12 Western AZ

09/13 Tahoe

After this I have another week to kill along the west coast before I need to point toward home.

If you are comming to Cali, you need to bring a swim suit or for that warm California Sun or if you prefer go nothing at all. I am sure you want to take a dip in the ocean and check out the clothing optional resorts....... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Great ideas everyone. Thanks. I thought of one other thing this morning. Calling my credit card company and telling them about the trip. On my last long trip they shut it down on me. I was able to reactivae it, but it was an inconvenience.
I have spent over 20 years in the military life. It is so hard for me not to plan details. I am an active member of www.advrider.com and have made plans to meet and stay with lots of those folks along the way. The first part of the trip is planned out. I have a riding partner that has friends in Tahoe that we are going to stay with. Once we arrive in Tahoe, I'm going to follow. This is the way things look for the first part of the trip.

09/06 Weatherford TX

09/07 Amarillo TX

09/08 Salida CO

09/09 Rock Springs WY

09/10 Blanding UT

09/11 Santa Fe NM

09/12 Western AZ

09/13 Tahoe

After this I have another week to kill along the west coast before I need to point toward home.
Sierra Pass riding is good that time of year as is hiway 1 and other roads up and down the coast. Tons of great riding here in North Cali and lots of people here that know them all. BTW if you don't want to change that rear tire prior to leaving and you believe it can make Tahoe without too much trouble, you could have a rear tire waiting for you at Roseville Yami which is about 160 to 180 miles West of Tahoe on I 80. The prices are good and the service is first rate. Another option is the Madison Ave Cycle Gear store in Sac. They have tires in stock cheap but you have to bring them the wheel. PM me if you want to do that and the wheel could come off in my garage if its a Friday afternoon or weekend day. I am out of town for the most part during the week. Enjoy your trip. Even the Central valley should be cooling off by then.

for mountain riding:

pack a "ninja mask". we use them for snowmobiling. They take near zero space and you can stuff them in any little otherwise unusable nook or cranny, weigh maybe an ounce or two, and make a huge difference if you find yourself riding in really low temps.

I was glad I had a laptop in the mountains as it allowed me to use weather.com or similar to check local weather radar each morning before riding.

change your route if needed to avoid snow.

09/06 Weatherford TX

09/07 Amarillo TX

09/08 Salida CO

09/09 Rock Springs WY

09/10 Blanding UT

09/11 Santa Fe NM

09/12 Western AZ

09/13 Tahoe

Hey Paul,

If you are in the Santa Rosa CA area you can get a tire changed, or whatever, at our shop if that would help. Link below. We can get most tires in a day or two. I don't know what type of roads you'll be riding on your way west, but in the Sierras, or on Hwy 1, or in the California coastal mountains you'll enjoy having fresh rubber as the twisties are first rate. Also, I'd be happy to look at maps and show you some great roads in the Sierras or along the coastal mountains if that would help. A week in these parts is two-wheeled bliss.

Brian

https://www.the-motorcycle-shop.com/index.htm

Calling my credit card company and telling them about the trip. On my last long trip they shut it down on me. I was able to reactivae it, but it was an inconvenience.
+1 on the credit card but after calling ahead of time I still got a text telling me to call them or they would shut my card off. Ok fine fraud protection protecting my butt (so they claim) except I noticed the text while sitting by the fire at night in the Apache National Forest above Morenci Arizona. So had to put out the fire and head down the mountain in the dark (us191 above the mine is a pucker road in the day let alone the middle of the night) to be sure I would still be able to buy gas ect. the next day.

Lesson: make sure they know you are on a bike and will be making frequent stops for small amounts of gas (relative to a car) and make sure the info gets forwarded to their fraud prevention dept.

Plan B is the cold weather plan. I DO NOT ride well cold. I'll be more than happy to tuck tail and run south. A member here hooked me up with a good deal on a Russell Day Long saddle that is my savior. My butt has always been a limiting factor.
Nice score on the Russell!

It sounds like you will be visiting folks along the way that will help you with weather watching. If not, here is a post I put up how to get some useful weather products. It eventually goes to Fire Weather forecasting, if you don't get lost.

The whole process: Fires and Weather Together

Useful for satelitte imagery, trends and general weather discussion. Temps have a fairly big range if covering a variety of altitudes. Here's an example of a Fire Weather Disscussion which is for the zone around Salida, CO, which is on your route:

clicky this:Fire Wx forecast CO zone 222

Right now a nice high pressure is building over the west. Come on, Indian Summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the local dealership and asked for FJR1300 final drive gear oil. They gave me yamaha friction modified shaft drive gear oil SAE 80w90 API service GL-4, GL-5. On the back it says it is for ATVs or any other GL-4 or GL-5 specification. Is this the right shit?

I went to the local dealership and asked for FJR1300 final drive gear oil. They gave me yamaha friction modified shaft drive gear oil SAE 80w90 API service GL-4, GL-5. On the back it says it is for ATVs or any other GL-4 or GL-5 specification. Is this the right shit?
yep, that's fine

I go to my local auto parts store and purchase Mobil 1 fully synthetic 75w90 gear lube for about $11 which is enough to accomplish four or five (capacity 0.21 quart) changes

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wc...T%7CGRP2035____

18059_486198470178_708500178_11125046_2635210_n.jpg

Oh, geez, now you've gone and done it. A perfectly fine give and take thread now may need to check "Never Ending Pointless Recurring Thread" about oils.

FWIW, there is (was) a specific oil for the FJR final drive. It had its own part number! 9079E-SH001-00!!! It was expensive and who knows! I always used it cause it made me feel good. I always bought from FJR goodies, about half price of what dealer had.

Last time I ordered I got a quart for the same price as a pint! This time no part number! Just says on label: "Yamaha Lubricant....Shaft Drive Oil Exclusive for FJR1300 and VMax1700 Motorcycles" As with the previous high priced spread, there is no weight or spec listed.

I think most have gravitated to the Mobil 1 whatever. Have fun (and feel good) about your oil!!