5 - Star Service?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A contrarian view: As a reward for the success of the consumerist movement in America ("The Head-long Race to the Bottom") many are now doing their own repair/service work and paying something between $25~$50 per hour in opportunity costs. I hope you enjoy doing it....? :unsure:

As an alternative: dealers (often called 'stealers', here) could be respected, instead of vilified, and paid on par with the rest of the world for their products. Mechanics/techs could be likewise respected and encouraged to seek more knowledge and skills (and commensurate pay). Instead, they're often treated like the lowest rung of the employment ladder -- no matter how complicated or sophisticated the machinery they're asked to work on.

I agree -- the industry is in a sorry state -- but, 'which came first - the chicken or the egg'? :unsure:

/Ranton
Ok...just venting....move along. Nothing to see here.....

So, after my trip to Upstate NY a few weeks ago from the Cincinnati area I was a bit concerned about my tire on the back. I've got the Storms which I had put on last Sept at the EOM tire vendor deal thingy ma jobber.

No wobble, like the tires...yadda, yadda....

So today I'm checking out the rear to see just how much more I can squeek out of it and I decide it's just time to look into a new one. I have a Yammy dealer literally 5 miles from my house but I refuse to give them any money unless under direct torture so needless to say they are always last on the list.

Punch up Yammy site and go to "find a dealer" and start calling the first 5 in my area. I kid you not this is how it went.....

Wasn't sure which tire to get so I was inquiring about the the REAR tire only at this time and was looking at the 2CT's, Storms and possibly the Strada's. Basically my questions to them was just pricing, availability and timeframe to get one of the tires listed above.

Dealer #1: When I said, I had an 06 FJR and was inquiring about 180-55/17 tire availability/pricing he asked, "Is that the front or the rear?" A tad stumped at this response, I just said it was the rear. So, he starts muttering to himself while I assume flipping through his book and then to my amazment he says, "That's not the right size...the front tire is a 120...etc..etc..". I politely replied with, "I just need the rear tire please". *facepalm*n 2CT rear quoted at 199.95 + 65 M/B/T

Storm: 189.99 +

Strada: 169.99 +

Dealer #2: Admittedly a smaller dealer but when I called them and asked about the tire after taking the details he asked me what kind of bike I had (I did state this in the beginning) so I told him I had an 2006 FJR-A. He responded with, "Is that a dirt or road bike?" I again, was a bit stumped and told him it was a road bike, Yammy's big sport touring street bike. Ugh. 2CT rear quoted at 180.95 + 55 M/B/T

Storm: 189.95 +

Strada: 179.95 +

Dealer #3: Big dealer in the tri-state area was able to answer the questions correctly but tried very, very hard to convince me that I could use a standard sportbike tire (such as an R1 tire) on the Feej. He even went so far as to try to ensure me that the bike would rail with a softer sporty tire and that my tire life would be fine. Additionally he made a comment to the effect of that if I rode a sportbike people would have tires in stock for me instead of having to order them. I actually lol'd at that one. 2CT Rear quoted at 217.99 +75 (discount he stated) M/B/T

Storm: 199.99 +

Strada: 179.99 +

Dealer #4: No problems quick quote with little banter. 2CT rear quoted at 190.99 + 50 M/B/T

Storm: 179.99 +

Strada: 169.99 +

Dealer #5(local place I can't stand): So, I decided for reference to see what my local (5 miles away) dealer could do so I just got on the bike and drove over there (excuse to get out I suppose). After telling me that PIRELLI didn't make a 2CT he then told me they had a Corsa in stock. I asked him again to look up the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT he gave me the look, you know the can't you go find someone else to bother look. He finally located the tire and and informed me he could get it in 5-7 days and did I want it? His quoted price was 245.99 + 50 M/B/T and they *might* be able to squeeze me in there in a couple weeks. I said thank you and told him I'd think about it.

Storm: 227.99 +

Strada: 217.99 +

Just a bit frustrated with their lack on any type of knowledge and the general "please go bother someone else" attitude I got from every single dealer with the exception of #4. Not only that but the prices which I still think are absolute rape.

Ok, so still looking for a tire but at least I feel better now. Sorry for taking up valuable internet space for this rant. Admins feel free to move, delete as you see fit. :)

/rantoff

Wow I got 2 tires (dunlop roadsmarts) delivered from SW mototires for 250 bucks, 2 day delivery for free all the way to massachusetts.....my head spun the tires showed up so fast. 35 bucks a peice to mount them. I will mount them myslef next time as apparently the local dealer didn't know what the yellow dot on the tire was for.

Wow I got 2 tires (dunlop roadsmarts) delivered from SW mototires for 250 bucks, 2 day delivery for free all the way to massachusetts.....my head spun the tires showed up so fast. 35 bucks a peice to mount them. I will mount them myslef next time as apparently the local dealer didn't know what the yellow dot on the tire was for.
Maybe he did. Maybe he is better than you think. How much added weight did you end up with?

Maybe he did. Maybe he is better than you think. How much added weight did you end up with?

more than I'm happy with.....but its smooth, so i'm not screwing around with it.

i know the tech personally so i may bribe with his favorite brew + $20
probably more directly increasing his bottom line, invoking his self-interest, and having a higher likelyhood of getting it done [closer to] right.
I've got about 4 years to acquire a tire machine and learn to use it- that's when the friend I have who owns one moves 1200 miles. Not that I'm against a 2400 mile round trip to get tires mounted, but it does require a little more planning.