500 miles to Whistler, BC and Back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mount Rainier

Reaction score
I left early Sunday morning and rode into considerable rain through the conversion zone but things quickly improved from approx. the rest stop north of Everett and on to Whistler and all the way back home that same afternoon. Doing the Cafe to Cafe tour and one of the visits is the Roundhouse Lodge at the top of Whistler Mt.

One word of caution to those that have not been up there since the Olympics. BC 99 north of Vancouver will leave permanent creases as you smile at the experience of riding this one. Especially following those great Canadian drives as they set new speed records on this road.

I still haven't figured out what exactly dictates the speed limits in Canada, so I wait for the fastest cage to go by and then try to keep up with it while at the same time trying not to get run-over by the RV coming up from behind. Great stuff.

BC 99 is a treat after having been improved for the Olympic Games. Highly recommended.

S%20208th%20St%20to%20116th%20Ave%20SE%20-%20Google%20Maps%20-%20Windows%20Internet%20Explorer%204182011%2073917%20PM.jpg

Keep Going!

Jim, when I grow up I want to be just like you... ;)

Sounds like a great trip and another one to put on the *list*. Best of all, it's just a short day there and back!

--G

Next time, you gotta keep going!!!

the best part of that road starts past Whistler.........

although, I like it better going east to west...Lilloet to Pemberton...................heavenly.

Just watch out for the wooden bridges, right madmike?

*ducksNruns*

I still haven't figured out what exactly dictates the speed limits in Canada, so I wait for the fastest cage to go by and then try to keep up with it while at the same time trying not to get run-over by the RV coming up from behind. Great stuff.

Lived here all my life. Still haven't figured that one out. Use the exact same survival tactic.

If you ever get an opportunity to tour BC's southern interior, you'd really like some of the roads less travelled around here :rolleyes:

I'm with Barb on this one. The road doesn't get good until your north of Whistler and crossing the Coastal Range on the Duffy Lake Rd. Fabulous views and great turns but watch out for the wooden bridges. Remember you are in a Rain Forest.

Rain + Wood Bridge = no traction.

Ask MadMike but be prepared for the swearing.

Rumours are NAFO 2012 will be in the interior of BC. This will be an event not to be missed!!!!

The coast is a rain forest but the interior is almost desert.

was stationed at ft lewis WA for 2 yrs 1973/1974. could not wait long once there to buy a bike. 1st pay check got me a used honda cl175. i remember the rain, well drizzle. day after day after day. i just learned to live with it. pretty country,sorta like NH on this coast. that's back when st helen's still had her top. never went noth, alwys south to OR. hi hi.enjoy it,in the blink of an eye you will an ol fart like me.

I'm pretty lucky since I live in West Vancouver right at the bottom end of the Sea to Sky. The new highway is a blast for bikes and there isn't much enforcement. On a sunny weekend, there are hundreds of bikes doing a run up to Squamish or Whistler and back. Some guys on souped-up Ducs and crotch rockets do time trials along here.

Whenever I need a feejer fix, that's where I go. Puts a smile on your face :) :) :)

Hey George, Let's make a deal. If you don’t grow up – I won’t either. The easiest way to stay young that I’ve found is to keep putting the miles on this fantastic machine.

Barb, I was on your island a week ago, riding to Port Renfrew and the Coastal Kitchen Cafe. The W. Coast Rd. #14 is another fun road from Sooke to PR. Moreover, the Coastal Kitchen is one great Cafe!

It’s always a treat crossing the border going both directions. I tend to make those crossings in off peak hours so the delay is not an issue. The interesting part is when you explain to the person at the border that the only reason you came/went to Canada is to ride to places like Hudson’s Hope to take a picture and then return. (WAC Bennett Dam for Dam Tour 2010). The ones that ride understand. The ones that don’t just keep asking questions. :huh:

And, dare I say it? “Go Habs Go” I’ve been a Montreal Canadians fan since 1970. It’s good to see the franchise enjoy their 280th consecutive sellout yesterday of over 21k fans. However, the Canucks could/should go all the way and win the Stanley Cup which would be great for Vancouver and their Fans.....

It's always great to be in Canada.

Keep Going!

Barb, I was on your island a week ago, riding to Port Renfrew and the Coastal Kitchen Cafe. The W. Coast Rd. #14 is another fun road from Sooke to PR. Moreover, the Coastal Kitchen is one great Cafe!
I know the Kitchen well.
wink.gif

Coffee is always warm, and the ice cream is pretty good too

Yes, fun road, especially since they paved a bunch up the hill just north of Jordan River. I love that chunk of road just up the hill and towards Renfrew.

Again, take the hop over the top from Renfrew to Lake Cowichan, that's the Duffy Lake Rd for the Island.

Man, I wish I didn't have to finish a fence today...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
on to Whistler and all the way back home that same afternoon. Doing the Cafe to Cafe tour and one of the visits is the Roundhouse Lodge at the top of Whistler Mt.
"Gona hav ta" to add this to our ride North in August. What's the road like from Whisler into Lillooet and Lilloot to Lytton? We're going to be coming across from Nelson to Hope and it looks like it might be as nice route into Vancouver.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
I left early Sunday morning and rode into considerable rain through the conversion zone but things quickly improved from approx. the rest stop north of Everett and on to Whistler and all the way back home that same afternoon. Doing the Cafe to Cafe tour and one of the visits is the Roundhouse Lodge at the top of Whistler Mt.

One word of caution to those that have not been up there since the Olympics. BC 99 north of Vancouver will leave permanent creases as you smile at the experience of riding this one. Especially following those great Canadian drives as they set new speed records on this road.

BC 99 is a treat after having been improved for the Olympic Games. Highly recommended.

I have always found a large supply of rabbits in BC.

S%20208th%20St%20to%20116th%20Ave%20SE%20-%20Google%20Maps%20-%20Windows%20Internet%20Explorer%204182011%2073917%20PM.jpg

Keep Going!

That's a phenomenal road. From Portland, I can make it a 1200 mile loop. It's a great ride from Lillooet to Pemberton. The one-lane wooden bridges were being replaced with concrete the last time I went through the stretch about 2 years ago before the Olympics.

Word of warning: BC has passed a new law on speeding. If you are clocked at 40km/hr over they can/will impound your vehicle on the spot. There's a write-up on OneWheelDrive.net (https://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/10/26/the-40kmh-solution/) The article is dated Oct 2010. Last month, I talked to buddy who lives in Terrence, BC. He said the speed limit law is in effect and being enforced between Prince George and Prince Rupert on Hwy 16. He was a bit irritated about it actually. Kinda of funny hearing a cancer doc bitching about limits on his ability to ride his GSA at 40 km/hr over the posted limit.

That settles it I'm going to have to ride to whistler next week, i was a little leary with the on and off again weather but it's a great road when the traffic is good, I've only driven it in the car once last year, since the olympic upgrade. I actually saw the same bikes passing me twice, they just turn around and do those double lane sweepers over and over again. I did hear the duffy lake road was pretty rough right now and there probably is still alot of gravel on it. Do you have your plates on El Cajone?

Has anyone got the "Destination highways" book, was thinking of picking it up, someone mentioned it and it might be worth the money. Sounds like the guys that wrote it have the perfect job. I should have paid attention in school and learned my english who would have thunk it.