600 Mile Service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Av8rider

Reaction score
I have just under 600 miles so I'm taking it on for its first service.

What things can I expect to pay for and what might be covered by warranty?

Last week, for example, it was about 100 degrees and when I started the FJR it kept hesitating and stalling, as thought it was running rich. This is the first fuel injected bike I've owned, I suspect that something was amiss between the injectors and the ECU with the higher density on such a hot day. It hasn't done that again but it does seem to be surging a bit at an idle. Would the adjustment of the injectors, if thats what's needed be covered under warranty?

This is what I got from the "bin-O-facts" Drive shaft spline, most have insufficient moly, Steering head bearing torque, Oil drain bolt over-torqued from the factory, is there anything else?

Also, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, does anyone use small concave, oops-convex mirrors?

Try searching on 600 mile service site:fjrforum.com at Google. About 360 hits on this often discussed subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Had mine done one week ago.

Oil change, differential oil change, torque all bolts, throttle-body synch. Mine was hesitating and I had to rev it at stop lights. I was told the synch was way out of whack. Viola, fixed. See how it operates after the 600 mile service. Tell them the problems you're having though before they start so they know what to look for.

Last week, for example, it was about 100 degrees and when I started the FJR it kept hesitating and stalling, as thought it was running rich. This is the first fuel injected bike I've owned, I suspect that something was amiss between the injectors and the ECU with the higher density on such a hot day. It hasn't done that again but it does seem to be surging a bit at an idle. Would the adjustment of the injectors, if thats what's needed be covered under warranty?

This is what I got from the "bin-O-facts" Drive shaft spline, most have insufficient moly, Steering head bearing torque, Oil drain bolt over-torqued from the factory, is there anything else?

Also, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, does anyone use small concave, oops-convex mirrors?

My dealer wanted 3 hours labor plus parts plus all of the time my bike would be in the shop. I can tell you that my wife and I did it all in an afternoon. I bought the shop manual ($90)and synchronizing tool for the tbs ($75) in addition to all of the normal stuff (oil and filter etc). Yeah, that oil drain bolt was really tight. Hope this helps.

If it keeps giving you issues as mine did. Do the barbarian mod. Once complete have never had a stalling issue since.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have already done the barbarian mod which solved the stalling problem. I expect to pay for engine and differential oil changes but I think things like throttle-body sync, torquing bolts to make the bike smoother and run better should be included with the warrenty.

Of coarse I'm not sure the dealer really cares what I think. The service manager said the 600 mile service would be around $190.00. As intriguing as purchasing the manual and equipment to do it myself is, I think for the first service/check-up I'd feel better if the dealer did this service.

I just wanted to hear from FJR owners to see if there's things that might not be obvious.

Thanks again.