70 MPH Encounter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woobie

Reaction score
Well, on my first long (600 miler) ride to stretch the FJR's legs, I had a nice surprise! Having the windscreen half way up and my visor open, a bug hit right above my right eye, proceeded to crawl under my sunglasses to the bottom part of my eye. I reached up to clear it off, only to learn it was a bee and it was still alive! It proceeded to dump its stinger in me :angry2: , before escaping. I road on home another 180 miles, but the next day, well, it swelled up like a Christmas Turkey!

1772993872_4b2f2402c1_m.jpg

Well, on my first long (600 miler) ride to stretch the FJR's legs, I had a nice surprise! Having the windscreen half way up and my visor open, a bug hit right above my right eye, proceeded to crawl under my sunglasses to the bottom part of my eye. I reached up to clear it off, only to learn it was a bee and it was still alive! It proceeded to dump its stinger in me :angry2: , before escaping. I road on home another 180 miles, but the next day, well, it swelled up like a Christmas Turkey!
LOL - welcome the club.. mine was a really fat upper lip.

Son of a BEE!

The last multi-day ride I went on I got stung twice in three days. I feel your pain. (pun intended)

A couple of years ago I got stung on the lip at work. I thought this is going to suck, fat lip, pain, how am I going to eat... My co-worker went to the truck and pulled out of the first aid kit a couple of Sting Ease swabs. I dabbed the sting with the swabs and in 10 minutes the pain was gone and it never came back and didn't swell up. I carry a few of these in my tank bag 'cuz I know what a bee can do at 70 mph :dribble: I get mine from work but I think these are the same Clicky

I road on home another 180 miles, but the next day, well, it swelled up like a Christmas Turkey!
That's what happened to my foot, 25 years ago (last time I was stung by a Honey Bee), the time before I had my 70mph near-death experience. I was unconscious in under five minutes and stopped breathing before the Clovis FD got there and started bagging me. I woke up four hours later in the ER with my whole family looking on. The doc told my wife he didn't know if I was going to survive, so she started calling people.

I've heard that you don't know if you'll have an allergic reaction until the fourth occurrence of sting by the same insect. That was my fourth time for the Honey Bee. Now I carry a reaction kit. An allergist can test you for sensitivity, which is a good idea if you have any excessive swelling or other symptoms after a sting.

I caught a bee or something like it in the mouth one day in heavy traffic on my way into Chicago. The fastest and reflexive solution was to swallow it. LIttle bastard didn't go down without a fight though and stung me from the inside. I felt my neck swelling up after a couple minutes and pulled off ASAP in case of breathing trouble. After a few more minutes I felt better and had no problems so continued into the city. I got the last laugh with my next good crap. I didn't look for him but the little fucker was in there somewhere.

Been tagged twicw now, once in the neck, and once, one got in under my jacket somehow, got me thru my t shirt, in the stomach. A bummer both times!

Once got a wasp inside my jacket (through an opened collar). It nailed me about five times before I could pull over, stop and unzip my jacket.

My V-Stream helps deflect the bugs over and away from making direct contact with me.

A couple of years ago I was riding 2up with my wife and 2 other bike couples. At the time I had a 2000 BMW 1200LTC which has an electrical windscreen. We were riding in south florida heading west out of Stuart,FL when all of a sudden it was like we were being bombarded by all kinds of small rocks. The rocks turned out to be bees and there were thousands of them. Come to find out that there are bee farms out there and we hit a swarm of the buggers. Luckily for my wife and I we had the electrial windscreen and a press of the button saved us some stings. The other 2 couples were not so fortunate, but everyone came out ok.

I road on home another 180 miles, but the next day, well, it swelled up like a Christmas Turkey!
That's what happened to my foot, 25 years ago (last time I was stung by a Honey Bee), the time before I had my 70mph near-death experience. I was unconscious in under five minutes and stopped breathing before the Clovis FD got there and started bagging me. I woke up four hours later in the ER with my whole family looking on. The doc told my wife he didn't know if I was going to survive, so she started calling people.

I've heard that you don't know if you'll have an allergic reaction until the fourth occurrence of sting by the same insect. That was my fourth time for the Honey Bee. Now I carry a reaction kit. An allergist can test you for sensitivity, which is a good idea if you have any excessive swelling or other symptoms after a sting.
That's some scary stuff there and I do remember your story Toe. As I use to work with my father in the bee business, apiculture/commercial pollinator's, I've known of beekeepers who worked with bees and got stung hundreds of times with no problem and then one time there would be a reaction. It pays to carry a kit in your vehicle and on the bike. Who knows you could save someone else's life. My father also had a friend who was on his Goldwing going south on I-5 when a bee stung him in his neck and if it wasn't for a CHP who happened by within minutes of the incident rushed the biker to the hospital and was saved. The doctor said if he was only a few minutes later he would have died. Be safe. PM. <>< ;)

QUOTE(woobie @ Oct 27 2007, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... and my visor open, a bug hit right above my right eye ...

Perhaps because I don't ride in the high temperatures some of you do, I ALWAYS keep my visor down. The result of anything hitting my eye at 70mph (or even 30) doesn't bear thinking about, whether insect or debris.

I suppose it's a bit like wearing a helmet, you choose where to draw the line for yourself. But if you are carrying a pillion, just think of what might happen to him/her if that sudden loss of sight and exteme pain makes you lose control.

Just my two pennies' worth.

I'm currently not riding because of a melanoma operation on my nose, so please don't be too hard on me for giving my opinion. (It's not the nose bit that stops me, it's the skin donar bit behind the ear so I can't put my helmet on.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ALWAYS keep my visor down. The result of anything hitting my eye at 70mph (or even 30) doesn't bear thinking about, whether insect or debris.
[SIZE=18pt]Woof![/SIZE] Visor :good:

I'm currently not riding because of a melanoma operation on my nose, so please don't be too hard on me for giving my opinion. (It's not the nose bit that stops me, it's the skin donar bit behind the ear so I can't put my helmet on.)
Damn, next time warn us or something before you whip that thing out! Hope you make a full recovery....

Honzo, swallowed a bumble bee in Forida in the 70's.

Throat swollen up, still breathing! Boy that sucked.

Almost hit an alligator the same week!

I worked at Ohio State Universities Honeybee research laboratory. Imagine what its like to ride your bike through 200 hives on a regular daily basis. Needless to say I got stung more than once. :unsure:

I worked at Ohio State Universities Honeybee research laboratory. Imagine what its like to ride your bike through 200 hives on a regular daily basis. Needless to say I got stung more than once. :unsure:

Maybe if you stuck to the roads it wouldn't have been so bad.

;)
Ha ha :rolleyes: Actually the entrance to the lab was lined by hives and the bees are coming and going across the road (as if I needed to explain that)

I carry a small bottle with a paste made with baking soda and water for just such an occasion. It will take the pain out of a bee sting in seconds. Fortunately, bees aren't much of a problem around here this time of year.