83 degree valve stems - which direction

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
Ok guys I have been through tons of threads on the angled valve stems, which I got from Bike Effects.....

Couldn't really see what was the best way to have them pointed.

My Wheels will be back from paint soon, and I'll be mounting new shoes, but I need to get the valve stems mounted and in the right direction.....

Help a brotha out and let me get this setup proper so I have no comebacks on the mounting direction.....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get the valve stems mounted and in the right direction.....
There you go assuming there's a single answer to that. The "right" or "correct" direction is subjective and varies by person.

I happen to like them 90 degrees to the tire rotation facing to the uphill side when on a side stand. To me it makes airing up slightly easier.

Some others have different opinions.

However, I would note that with TPMS caps I learned that position doesn't work on the front (a $60 lesson as my front brake caliper broke it on the first tire rotation...so it's probably "wrong" in that scenario) and chose in line with the tire rotation facing backwards to tire rotation. I could have chosen 180 degrees from that, but a little less room with one of the spokes. Meh.

So, I think the most right way is one that is securely torqued and doesn't interfere with calipers. Beyond that it's personal preference.

Ha..... I knew I would F*ck it up on the question.....

Couldn't find the proper answer in my searches - and want to make sure they are pointed in the proper direction as to not have anything that would snap them off such as the caliper....

So I guess from what I'm reading here is they will clear the calipers with no issue in any direction - as long as I'm not going to install the TPMS sensors....

Appreciate the input - seems that the right angle when sitting on the side stand would be helpful, although I usually put it on the center stand when checking tires, easier to spin the wheels that way.....

Please Confirm....

Yes...The stems alone are fine and will clear your calipers. Which way they face, right or left is up to you. Have fun with that.

My shop guy installed mine so my front faces left and my rear faces right. I always check the front with the bike on the center stand anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. Haha...

Very Good..... Thanks for the help guys...

I hate doing shit twice..... and thats not just a simple re-do....

I need to get the valve stems mounted and in the right direction.....
There you go assuming there's a single answer to that. The "right" or "correct" direction is subjective and varies by person.

I happen to like them 90 degrees to the tire rotation facing to the uphill side when on a side stand. To me it makes airing up slightly easier.

Some others have different opinions.

However, I would note that with TPMS caps I learned that position doesn't work on the front (a $60 lesson as my front brake caliper broke it on the first tire rotation...so it's probably "wrong" in that scenario) and chose in line with the tire rotation facing backwards to tire rotation. I could have chosen 180 degrees from that, but a little less room with one of the spokes. Meh.

So, I think the most right way is one that is securely torqued and doesn't interfere with calipers. Beyond that it's personal preference.
Like Iggy mine went to the Starboard side of the bike front and back! My wife bought me the TPMS Christmas present to go with my new 590 so I had to take the bike and my spare front rim out to the G mans place and rotate the fronts forward to clear the caliper. I got lucky as I read the warning and check, first time for everything I guess.
sleep.png

Should have started a poll...

Like others, mine are currently face the RH side so they're "up" when on the sidestand. I've often considered spinning the rear one around for more room away from the disc.

YMMV

--G

Mine are pointing to the Starboard beam. This way when she is listing on the sidestand I can get to them.

But you can mount them left and let us know how it works out for you.

Oh so helpful you are there bounce.. LOL

I don't plan on TPMS....

So starboard it'll be, thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to get it back together, paint guy is taking way to long, but weather is getting cold again here...

Good thing i still have the 05 to play with. Although my Buddy came by last night to put the first down payment on the old girl.. my trusty steed will be getting a new home soon.

I didn't realize the TPMS caps would shear on the brake caliper in the front. Glad I learned this before I had an issue.

Yes...The stems alone are fine and will clear your calipers. Which way they face, right or left is up to you. Have fun with that.
My shop guy installed mine so my front faces left and my rear faces right. I always check the front with the bike on the center stand anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. Haha...
^ This is the way I went with mine but it had nothing to do with side or center stands. How do you naturally reach down when checking psi? I usually squat i/f/o the front and behind the back tire and as I'm right-handed, 'Zilla's set-up works. When they were first installed I had both facing the same way and one of them felt backwards.

Oh wow BigOgre. I never thought of that before, but now that you say it, it sure is convenient. My service guy mentioned something the day I picked them up. Guess I should have listened better.

right handed people should install the rear on the right side of the bike and the front on the left side. reverse if you are left handed or ignore completely

if you are one of them ambidextrous freaks of nature.