90,000 BMWs recalled

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoat

Reaction score
Just found this on the internet. Hopefully no one has gotton hurt so far. Just a heads-up for all you R and K model beemer owners out there! :eek:

BMW recall

"The company said the problem would not manifest itself in normal use of the motorcycles...."

Uhm, just when and how will an ABS problem it manifest itself, during a panic stop? Only when riding downhill making a left-hand turn?

Just Googled that recall and, interestingly enough, only the site you linked to has the story...

Just Googled that recall and, interestingly enough, only the site you linked to has the story...
Sometimes google's behind on a breaking story - but I can't find it on CNN.com, seattle-times.com, latimes.com, etc.

there's also nothing on BMWmotorcycles.com [except BamaCop complaining that his buddies FJR got here before his new beemer]

OTOH, it doesn't appear to be a fake web page, since you can navigate to the story from the MSNBCs home page.

curious.

It was a story planted by jealous FJR owners :) ....ya that's it.... by jealous FJR owners...ya ya that's the ticket :D

On an advanced riders training in Germany the instructor discovered the problem

The BMW-brakes are power-assisted. The unit uses electric power and the generator cannot deliver all the energy for this unit. So if the brakes are applied the battery is some kind of backup for the powerbrakes. Normally it is no problem. The generator gives enough power to reload the battery. But on the Advanced riders training the used the brakes very often. Had to learn how to use the ABS and how the handle the bike in difficult situations. It was mainly at walking speed so the battery was not enough recharged. And off course lots of messages during the day. So the bikes stopped several times and then the students had a talk with the instructor. All that drained the battery too much and in the end of the day the battery had not enough power for the power-assist. The BMW has a single-wire-system and a canbus. So the computer rules the bike and if the computer finds something it is not as it should be it shuts that part off. And that is not so nice if it the brakingsystem. When it was published in the German magazines (and on the TV) I think ther was one who said he thought he had had the problem. So it hardly happens, but when it happens................

Now they are already modifying the bikes in germany and not all the owners are pleased with the changes to the system.

EgbertO

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, sir, for a very nice explination of the situation. As mine is an `02 w/o the canbus system, I'll not worry overly. Besides, I've a dedicated track bike.

The BMW has a single-wire-system and a canbus.
What is a canbus?
The canbus is like a computernetwork

As far as I know there are no fuses in the system. The computer constantly checks the system and if something does not respond as the computer thinks it should be responding, then the computer takes a decision. It goes that far that you cannot connect extra's to the bikes electric that the computer does not know.

So all the extras are from BMW or have got an OK from BMW and some kind of electronics build in that can 'talk' with the computer.

So a cheap aftermarket heated handlebars are not possible. You need to buy the very expensive BMW-handlebars. Thye can 'talk' with the computer.

EgbertO

What is a canbus?

As far as I know there are no fuses in the system. The computer constantly checks the system and if something does not respond as the computer thinks it should be responding, then the computer takes a decision. It goes that far that you cannot connect extra's to the bikes electric that the computer does not know.

So all the extras are from BMW or have got an OK from BMW and some kind of electronics build in that can 'talk' with the computer.

So a cheap aftermarket heated handlebars are not possible. You need to buy the very expensive BMW-handlebars. Thye can 'talk' with the computer.

EgbertO
I had heard beemers were going this way, but never understood how they were doing it, thanks for the explanation. A BMW auto mechanic I talked with recently thinks BMW are going in the direction that they want you to replace your car every 7 years, and that the ECM cannot be plugged into any other diagnostic computer other than the one at BMW. He claims they have something built in that will fry the board to prevent any third party repair company from working on its vehicles.

There is a recall by BMW (distributed only by dealers) with the following details:

1. Replacement of banjo bolt at brake cylinder. Intensive tests have proven that one of the problems with the faulting ABS arose when the brake lever was pulled very hard and very quickly. The banjo bolt that connects the brake-hose to the brake cylinder is now replaced by one with a bult-in restrictor to prevent the pressure within the system to rise too much (does not affect normal braking!). Due to my information this change affects all bikes with integral brakes.

2. Replacement of brake disks. A small series of bikes will - in addition - get new brake disks (don't know what series exactly).

3. Aligning of sensor cable. The cable going down along the fork to the ABS sensor may be damaged while removing/mounting the front wheel. There has already been an alignment for the first series of bikes last year. Obviously that was not enough. Therefor the sensor cable has to be aligned once more (don't know if this affects all bikes).

That is it. I had a K12(sold) that also had a recall involving the fuel line on the 04. The ECU was also replaced after a "tech bulletin." I still have an 04 RT so that will be going in. No recalls on my 05 FJR though. :D

What is a canbus?

EgbertO
I had heard beemers were going this way, but never understood how they were doing it, thanks for the explanation. A BMW auto mechanic I talked with recently thinks BMW are going in the direction that they want you to replace your car every 7 years, and that the ECM cannot be plugged into any other diagnostic computer other than the one at BMW. He claims they have something built in that will fry the board to prevent any third party repair company from working on its vehicles.
Henry Ford once said, "If I could be sure that my customers would come back to me for maintenance of the vehicles, I'd give them away!"

What is a canbus?

EgbertO
I am an European, Netherlands

So I live close to Germany and can read German

So I do get the information from German internetsites. And those BMW-fora are hard for BMW and give their opinions without any thoughts for BMW. Not thinking that BMW's are superior.

But here in the EU they want that every manufacturer - and espacially the cars - publish how the information over the diagnoze connector works, so that workshops that do not belong to a specific mark also can get the information and repair vehicles. Big companies like BeEmTroubleU are not that keen on these regulaltions.

EgbertO

What is a canbus?
Can Bus...2 words. Almost all new medium and heavy duty trucks use this type of datalink. Information is passed back and forth in both directions, at the same time. A truck/BMW motorcycle can have separate computers(ECM) for the engine, transmission, ABS, body/cab systems, lighting........and on AND ON :dribble: the can bus allows all of them to communicate with each other and constantly monitor and adjust all controlled systems. Still uses fuses and a few relays, but eliminates 70%. ecm knows what a tail light amp draw should be, so if it sees too much....it shuts that circuit down, rather than "blowing " a fuse! Also called multiplexing....add 150hp to a Mercedes or Cat engine with simple programming :p no hard engine parts to replace for mo power!

So all the extras are from BMW or have got an OK from BMW and some kind of electronics build in that can 'talk' with the computer.So a cheap aftermarket heated handlebars are not possible. You need to buy the very expensive BMW-handlebars. Thye can 'talk' with the computer.

EgbertO
Bingo....but "programming" in a little more juice could be a good thing!....Most original equip. engine mfg. require that the programming station is also online with the host computer. Cat , Mercedes, Cummins. They see and record all action on the ecm. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING :agent: They know if unit was ever over revved, over heated, too little oil...old oil....top speed...key offs...idle time....and the list goes on and on!

No fudging warranty claims with these big dogs!

Canbus is the plant that is illegal in most of the USA. It can be smoked or even eaten to realize a level of stimulated consciousness.

Just wanted to help. :D :p

Ron

Thanks Ron....I am Hemp !!!! Too bad about the Beemers though, My bike IS my other car so any downtime is a drag !

Bobby