90 degree valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed the Bike Effects ones last weekend.

First off, had to remove the gasket from the stem and mount that first, then insert the stem - it is a tight fit.

Second, it made of soft aluminum. First time I filled with air from a gas station the nozzle gouged the stem threads. The original cap still fits, but barely, and at some point I may have to resort to a cheap plastic one I can cram on there.

But it sure makes it a lot easier to check tire pressure, specially on the rear!

First off, had to remove the gasket from the stem and mount that first, then insert the stem - it is a tight fit.
Second, it made of soft aluminum. First time I filled with air from a gas station the nozzle gouged the stem threads. The original cap still fits, but barely, and at some point I may have to resort to a cheap plastic one I can cram on there.
+1 on both counts. I was able to screw the aluminum cap on and hope it keeps cleaning the treads each time and not wear them out.

The 90 degree stems from Bike effects are great...I mount both facing right...they make checking and filling with air much easier.

But it sure makes it a lot easier to check tire pressure, specially on the rear!
If you've got a valve stem repair tool you can chase the threads back to functional. Here's a link to see what one looks like (as you can probably get one at a parts store, for cheap). https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0267829

Just to be different, I recently bought THESE valve stems for use on my next tire change. They're not 90 degree, but I've never had a problems checking my air pressure using my 90 degree pressure gauge LIKE THIS ONE .
Checking them isn't the big problem finding a gas station that doesn't have one of those big ass extendo air chucks can be an issue. I had a leaky rear tire last year at CFO and went to 6 or 7 gas stations before I found one that I could use to fill my tire. A new set of PR2s arrived just this morning and 90˚ stems are next on my list.

If you've got a valve stem repair tool you can chase the threads back to functional. Here's a link to see what one looks like (as you can probably get one at a parts store, for cheap). https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0267829
To clarify .. it is the CAP threads that are damaged, not the valve threads. And I spoze I can fix them .. I've fixed others ...

be good to yourself. 90% stems are nice but you should concider an on board tire pressure monitoring system as well. i've been using smartyre for years and i love it. i'm not sure it's available anymore but there are others discussed on this board. i want to know everytime i get on the bike that my air is good but i don't care for bending over.

derek

be good to yourself. 90% stems are nice but you should concider an on board tire pressure monitoring system as well. i've been using smartyre for years and i love it. i'm not sure it's available anymore but there are others discussed on this board. i want to know everytime i get on the bike that my air is good but i don't care for bending over.derek
Yeah, but even with onboard tire pressure monitoring you still have to air up every once in a while - hence, 90 degree valve stems!

I got this instead:

EzAir.jpg

Works on all my bikes, and makes it so any air chuck works easily. Even the big truck stop ones.

I got this instead:
EzAir.jpg

Works on all my bikes, and makes it so any air chuck works easily. Even the big truck stop ones.

That is the pressure guage I use. It is really easy on the 90 degree stems. The combination makes it almost fun.

Who sells them? Have yet to see one of them fun things down in flatastan.

Edit... I found this source Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
What's with all this chatter about checking air pressure? Just give the tires a good solid kick before you ride. If they go "BOINK!" they have enough air, and if they go "THUD!" you need to add some. Easy as pie. No bending, no muss, no fuss.

;)

What's with all this chatter about checking air pressure? Just give the tires a good solid kick before you ride. If they go "BOINK!" they have enough air, and if they go "THUD!" you need to add some. Easy as pie. No bending, no muss, no fuss. ;)
Does the woman in your avatar go "BOINK"?

What's with all this chatter about checking air pressure? Just give the tires a good solid kick before you ride. If they go "BOINK!" they have enough air, and if they go "THUD!" you need to add some. Easy as pie. No bending, no muss, no fuss. ;)
Does the woman in your avatar go "BOINK"?
She recently popped a kid, so I'm thinking the answer is yes.