A fantastic upgrade for next gen FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
I ride a lot in summer like most people and never liked blazing hot days even before this summer of record heat.

when it's cold I can dress warmer.

I often wondered why a bike OEM never included a chiller option that would provide chilled water for seat and rider cooling. doesn't seem like it's be all that tough to do and it would be a VERY attractive feature to many many riders. Add the fact that more and more riders are going "ATGATT" and you have even more reason for such a feature. People would WANT to wear their gear on a hot day. (not to mention that a suit cooled with circulating water could easily be heated the same way.)

I used a "Cool Shirt" water cooled shirt this summer and it helped a lot on 100 degree days but the ice pack was large & cumbersome.

the only downside I can see is that the additional weight might be objectionable although the actual cooling capacity needed would be far less than a typical automotive system.

doesn't seem like it's be all that tough to do.....

the only downside I can see is that the additional weight might be objectionable although the actual cooling capacity needed would be far less than a typical automotive system.
I think you answered your own question there. And I think your assumption that it would be more compact is sketchy. Try and go build a small compressor, condenser, and circulation system that fits compactly, conveniently, and reasonably priced on a motorcycle....I think you'll be surprised by the technical issues.

Aftermarket units I've seen that try and use a cooler full of ice instead of a cooling generation system don't last very long, are still bulky, and remain fairly expensive IMO for the benefit.

Evaporative cooling remains the compact, convenient, fairly effective, and most reasonably priced alternative IMO. But, it works best in non-humid climates and I expect if anybody finds a solution...they'll come from somewhere with serious humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Glacier Tech cooling vest, I put it in the freezer and it keeps me cool for 2 hours. It is great for the commute home which takes about 1 hour 15 min. The evaporation vests don't work all that well in Florida since the humidity is already 100%. My cooling vest fits under my cycleport suit. Other systems are very bulky but keep one cool longer.

Are you kidding? A system like that would add a HUGE amount of complexity and cost for what only a few people would want.

If YOU really want that, there are already some systems like that out there. Why not buy one of those?

I have tried a "cool shirt" and while it helped it was far from perfect.

I have an engineer buddy looking into the actual cooling load represented by a person. It is far far less than the cooling capacity necessary for a typical automative application so assuming a "motorcycle sized" unit would be huge, complex, or heavy is premature. Also, there are other options for the cooling source or "heat pump" like solid state or vortex cooling which might have adequate capacity without the weight and complexity of a traditional compressor.

there are a lot of small a/c units that are sized to keep electrical enclosures cool that might work and are not too expensive particularly compared to an ice bag based cool shirt which was near $500.

depending on what I find out about cooling load and the cost and capacity for an adequately sized unit I may make my own. If I do I'll report it here.

What is a 'Cool Shirt'? Have you seen the recent thread around here about all the different cooling options?

[Friday a bit early]

You can get a 1,000 BTU wall mount AC that is only 21.6H X 11.0W X 5.5D and takes just 400 watts to run. It would mount in much the same way as a aux fuel tank if you opt for the on-bike install. You would need to go to Harbor Freight and pick up small trailer frame and put a small AC generator on the trailer, driven off of the axle and a UPS power supply and inverter for those awkward times when you must come to a stop. The issue is all about the number of BTU's that needs to be moved, efficiency of the system and the power that it takes to do this task. At only 400 watts this is about as good as you can do.

You can look at RV and solar powered DC air conditioners but they tend to have too much capacity -- 18,000 BTU and draw a bit more power than what a Gen II FJR can produce -- 5,000 Watts. Spend some time researching the DC units, you may stumble on the perfect solution.

[Friday]

1-large.jpg

<Link>

It looks like they only have an "air delivery vest". As soon as they have "air delivery briefs", I might have to take them seriously.

;)

I friend of mine that's been working in Texas this summer picked up a Veskimo cooling unit. He says it works as advertised.
I got one too. OH YEAH!!!!! It works as advertised all right. It works better than advertised. Check out this link that I just posted: clicky
Below: just the vest without the backpack: I've just put it on and I am adjusting the straps... that's why they're sticking out so much.

vesk3.jpg

Here I've put a leather vest over the top for insulation against the heat, and you can see the backpack unit that holds the ice.

vesk17.jpg

Gary

darksider #44

Two thoughts that I have: better airflow on the bike and better vented helmets.

I wear a full face helmet and the little "vents" it has are totally useless, especially on a bike with a good windshield. They must be designed for someone on a bike without a windshield.

I don't have an FJR (yet?) but when it gets over 90 here, the Goldwing stays in the garage and the Nighthawk (with windshield removed) gets used. That is comfortable on a 90+ day.

Ken

Yea, but...

if they put a cooler on our bikes to keep the seat cool. Then we could put beer in it and get drunk while we ride.

I ride a lot in summer like most people and never liked blazing hot days even before this summer of record heat.

when it's cold I can dress warmer.

I often wondered why a bike OEM never included a chiller option that would provide chilled water for seat and rider cooling. doesn't seem like it's be all that tough to do and it would be a VERY attractive feature to many many riders. Add the fact that more and more riders are going "ATGATT" and you have even more reason for such a feature. People would WANT to wear their gear on a hot day. (not to mention that a suit cooled with circulating water could easily be heated the same way.)

I used a "Cool Shirt" water cooled shirt this summer and it helped a lot on 100 degree days but the ice pack was large & cumbersome.

Oh lord...

By the way, speaking of cooling technology, I drive a Toyota Camry Hybrid, and it utilizes an all electric air conditioner. They don't necessarily have to be belt driven; however the wattage requirements would be insane. Just a thought.

Gary

darksider #44

additional info:

a person represents 600 BTU's of cooling load. this "theoretically" translates into a roughly 200 watts of electrical load, high for a motorcycle but maybe not impossible particularly since something less than 600 BTU's might be adequate inside an insulated suit.

1-large.jpg

<Link>

It looks like they only have an "air delivery vest". As soon as they have "air delivery briefs", I might have to take them seriously.

;)

Just a little Y in the line ,and shove hose #2 down the crack of the Arse ,and I think all would be good. If I could photoshop that pic ,I could illustate. Anyone??