A fantastic upgrade for next gen FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minnesota, and complaining about hot? Seems like I had a word to describe a situation like that.

What was that???? Right on the tip of my tongue . . . . .

Oh, yeah!!!

WAAA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Bring it down here where it's often 90+/90+ temp and humidity, and complain to our faces about "Eww, it's so hot!!!!!" :p

Yeah, you should have been in Texas this year. Lots of 100 degree days. Finally cooled of today after 65+ days of over 100 degree temps. I needed some kind of air conditioner on the bike. I was still riding to work every day. Whew! :beach:

Gp

I have an engineer buddy looking into the actual cooling load represented by a person. It is far far less than the cooling capacity necessary for a typical automative application so assuming a "motorcycle sized" unit would be huge, complex, or heavy is premature.
i would think that a couple of major hurdles would be cost and electrical load before any of those you listed. if cost is no issue (and if we can get Yamaha to provide a 750 watt alternator) then why not go with a vest made of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

Compact, (relatively) light weight, no need to get wet while staying cool, and lots of geek cred.

In the winter, the vest could be reversible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a car cooler that used one of those thermoelectric thingies. I have no idea what its current draw was, but to use it indoors (like to keep drinks cool in a motel room) I had to "upgrade" the 5A fuse on my 12V bench power supply (kept the 5A but put in a slo-blo,) and even then it was only good for like 15 degrees below ambient in an insulated volume of maybe half a cubic foot. And that was to cool stuff that wasn't generating heat, just absorbing it from the surrounding space.

So you'd need a messload of them doodads, at several amps apiece. I don't see it.

Maybe if you covered your jacket and bike with solar cells!!!!!! It shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 square feet of panels to run one of those . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd rather have yami add handlebar trip computer controls, cruise control, and audio system and a larger alternator.

or on second thought, leave it alone, raise the price to $16,999, which will make my moderately modded 09 worth just what I paid for it 3 seasons ago..