A few thoughts on riding partners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that over on ADVrider when it was posted. I agree with trusting your riding partner.

Personally, I would ride with almost anyone at least once for short ride or a single day trip. Making a long trip is a different story. Reading ride reports from many here there are a few riders I would ride with for a couple days, however I may not be a good fit for their likes. It is tough to find a riding partner.

Murph, I have met your riding partner (wife) :good: :chickawow: You are lucky that she likes to ride, and be a passenger!
Ok first of Murph, we're going to need some pics of the wife :rolleyes:

I think these are wise words you have found. I dont like to ride with people because of differences in ability that typically crop up. Not saying I am the best or anything but I dont like riding with people who have little experience. It is also true that if your a laid back (or want to travel that way) it would be aweful to travel with someone who wants to stick to a plan.

So I agree with your find!

the biggest reason I got into bikes in the first place is to be solo. Worst thing that ever happened to me is when my gf (ex, now) got us a chatterbox. Haven't used it since we broke up.

never underestimate the stupidity of people in large numbers. I like riding solo. Or maybe 2up. Rarely in a group, and never with more than 5 bikes.

*except for toys for tots. but I don't ride that anymore, either. Instead, I stand on a bridge and direct traffic.*

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that as I get older I prefer to ride by myself. Seems everytime I ride with someone or a with a group it's an aggravating experience.
+1

Almost all my rides the past 10 years have been solo - I find I enjoy them more partly because there is less stress in dealing with anothe rrider - or maybe its because no one will ride with me :dribble:

I agree completely, not just on long rides, but on day trips too.

That's why Mrs. Twisty and I ride alone most of the time.

That way, we can go where we want, stop when we want, and spend as much time as we want when we stop.

Solo on the longer trips for me. It gives me the freedom to do what I want and when. There is always a few people to talk to along the way and home contact. Also, when I ride with someone else, I am always looking out for them instead of focusing on "my" ride. I just returned from solo trip out west.

However, on weekends, I do a short ride with a small group of friends who are good riders for a food run. Its always a fun bs session.

Once in a great while (a life time really), you find someone who fits the bill as a riding partner. My wife doesn't ride, so she's never been that person for me (unfortunately)!
8 years ago I was fortunate enough to meet a guy (Joe) who was this ideal riding partner for me. Joe and I liked to ride the same pace, had similar skills on bikes, were exactly the same age, liked to ride and camp, enjoyed each others conversation (most of the time), liked to stop at the same intervals, basically rode/saw eye to eye.

Then Joe died. Heart attack at home at age 50. It was such a surprise that his wife and children, my wife and family, all of our mutual friends that we had met through our motorcycling experiences, and I were devastated by. It has been difficult to find a replacement for Joe, and I'm beginning to realize that it may never happen again.

I enjoy group riding in moderation, but the best deal is, to find a riding buddy that has got similar skills and ideas and who rides alot.

just my CO2.

I lost my riding partner last month and have had the same thoughts. They can never be replaced and are truly a rare find.

I've always preferred to ride in groups of 2... Even with a bigger group, I consider it just us two and a bunch of other guys I have to be careful about.

I'm very glad to have met someone in the PNW that not only loves motorcycles, but has 6 years of experience on top of me and will willingly ride with me. We both trust each other, he knows his limits and I'm yet to determine mine (buying a new bike always redefines the limits), but at the same time he respects my attitude, patience and humility when it comes to buying and riding a bike. I respect his ability to pass good judgement, previous experience and expertise, and used it to make an informed decision on both a new and secondhand motorcycle. He doesn't do the all of the same sort of riding as me (he doesn't enjoy doing long distance on a thirsty monster of a bike), which is a bit sad, but such is life. I didn't realise how similar we were until I looked at my purchased gear and compared it to gear he already had but I'd never seen him wearing - almost identical in colours, visibility and protection, just everything of mine was one size larger (literally - pants, jacket, boots, gloves, helmet).

If only he didn't ride a BMW :p .

IMG_3934.jpg

The writer quoted only posits a theme. Based on the excerpt s/he is unable to actually articulate any insight about riding companions. An after-dinner mint worth of insight versus a meal IMHO.