A MUST SEE FOR CAGERS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contrary to what you wrote, if the guy in thevideo HAD learned how to drive, he would've

seen the biker...so much for England being

"better" at their driving.
I agree with you - the driver was not paying attention. What I was suggesting was that, on the whole, English drivers have less distractions and thus the ability to pay more attention to their driving, IF they choose to. For whatever reason, this driver chose not to pay attention to his surroundings.

Jill

English drivers have less distractions and thus the ability to pay more attention to their driving, IF they choose to.
I'll agree to that, and say that English drivers ARE better.

North Americans suck at driving compared to the UK and Europe.

Contrary to what you wrote, if the guy in the

video HAD learned how to drive, he would've

seen the biker...so much for England being

"better" at their driving.
I agree with you - the driver was not paying attention. What I was suggesting was that, on the whole, English drivers have less distractions and thus the ability to pay more attention to their driving, IF they choose to. For whatever reason, this driver chose not to pay attention to his surroundings.

Jill
Lest we forget

It was in the script.

Great PSA.

English drivers have less distractions and thus the ability to pay more attention to their driving, IF they choose to.

I don't know about that! If you watch the Discovery Channel specials, some English drivers can rival North Americans any day, for feats of great stupidity.

Since driving in England is VERY expensive, and distances are usually shorter, Public transport is often a more viable option. The infrastructure was not built to accommodate car parking, so that is a problem too.

When I lived there, I would only drive a car if I absolutely HAD to. That was during the period when I was without a bike, and had two little ones to take with me.

Thus, English drivers don't get a lot of practice on their driving skills. Many are inexperienced and nervous. In contrast, here in CA, people drive all the time and get lots of experience, thus we know it all, right? <VBG>

Jill

Fjrottie., the difference between there and the old good ole U S A is freedom.

Than why don't you take a hike back there and practice your driving.

As far as you being better than this american i don't think so!!!!!!!! :p

weekend rider

Weekend rider, I am North American. :p

Your the only one talking about the US individually.

The reason for my post is because I have driven/ridden in 11 provinces, 49 states, England, Scotland, Ireland, and every country in the European Union.

BTW, all those places have freedom.

My experience, my Western driver's ed, and the driver's ed I took in a few European countries, is the basis of my comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll agree to that, and say that English drivers ARE better.North Americans suck at driving compared to the UK and Europe.
I can say, with authority, that the driver's test for cars is MUCH tougher in England than it is in CA. It lasts longer, covers a wider variety of road situations and demands a higher level of proficiency. I don't know about recent tests, but the theory part used to be a verbal question and answer session with the examiner, while sitting in the car. No multiple guess chances here.

Minimum age for car driving is 17yrs and for bikes greater than 49cc (hence I spent my whole 16th year riding a sport moped, way back when).

For those who don't pass the driver's test (around 50%) there is a mandatory wait of 30 days before retesting but more likely around six months, to get another appointment.

It's a LOT easier for a person, deserving or not, to get a license in CA than in England.

Jill

For you guys who think using your brights in the daytime is a good idea-think again. Studies show it is harder for cagers to judge your speed when brights are on in daytime.
I disagree that using bright headlights in the daytime won't help. Being seen is the higher and more immediate priority. Being able to judge a bikers approach speed won't matter if they don't see you in the first place.

Fjr rottie; Sorry when I read it I thought it was from someone from the other side of the atlantic.

I just get tired of people bashing the good ole U S A ;)

weekende rider

I don't know about that! If you watch the Discovery Channel specials, some English drivers can rival North Americans any day, for feats of great stupidity.

Since driving in England is VERY expensive, and distances are usually shorter, Public transport is often a more viable option. The infrastructure was not built to accommodate car parking, so that is a problem too.

When I lived there, I would only drive a car if I absolutely HAD to. That was during the period when I was without a bike, and had two little ones to take with me.

Thus, English drivers don't get a lot of practice on their driving skills. Many are inexperienced and nervous. In contrast, here in CA, people drive all the time and get lots of experience, thus we know it all, right? <VBG>

Jill
You must have lived in a different UK than the one I came from.

Roads are not as wide, side streets are always jammed with parked cars as a lot of houses don't have garages.

Speeds are higher, winters are dark and wet, summers light but still wet.

Public transport is better than the US but not much.

People don't drive in the UK? Try the M1, M4, M40, M25, M2 in the mornings.

Chris

Speeds are higher
Try the M1, M4, M40, M25, M2 in the mornings.
ROFLMAO M25 is popularly known as the worlds largest car park :haha: Don't ask me why I'm laughing. I live in central London :blink:

(For those not familiar: M25 is a 100 mile circle around London, M4 is the main western artery, M40 kind of north west, M1 north-ish, dunno where the M2 is)

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in the north east, about an hour from any motorway. In that urban area, driving was, and is, made so difficult that public transport becomes a better an better option.

You're quite right in saying that parked cars and narrow roads are a pain. I well remember rushing home from work, so as not to be the last one home on the block, and not have a parking space.

Now, I'm told there are strange things called 'traffic calming measures' which are meant to slow vehicles down on urban streets. Instead of driving at a steady speed, drivers now accelerate and brake from hazard to hazard. Roads have been artificially narrowed in places, and speed bumps added, to a point where fire trucks have to take alternate routes.

I had a car license but chose not to drive in England. California is a LOT easier.

Jill

You must have lived in a different UK than the one I came from.Roads are not as wide, side streets are always jammed with parked cars as a lot of houses don't have garages.

Speeds are higher, winters are dark and wet, summers light but still wet.

Public transport is better than the US but not much.

Chris
+1

Hailing from Liverpool, I drove in crazy traffic for many, many years.

UK drivers can certainly drive well, but have their idiots like anywhere else.

Just wish some of these idiot CA cagers here could take lessons in wet weather driving.

I'm now a proud "merican by the way - for the last 27 years :D

Speeds are higher
ROFLMAO M25 is popularly known as the worlds largest car park :haha: Don't ask me why I'm laughing. I live in central London :blink:

(For those not familiar: M25 is a 100 mile circle around London, M4 is the main western artery, M40 kind of north west, M1 north-ish, dunno where the M2 is)
Pfffffft...

Try I405, Hwy 101, The Crush, or I5/101/I10 interchange. No wonder we shoot each other in SoCal...

Speeds are higher

Pfffffft...

Try I405, Hwy 101, The Crush, or I5/101/I10 interchange. No wonder we shoot each other in SoCal...
Hate to disagree, I have travelled quite a bit on buiness in CAL.

Yes the jams in CAL are awful.

But the speeds on the UK motorways (+90) plus the tailgating plus the quite common thick fog in valleys with rivers leads to some horrendous crashes

Sometimes having less is better as in this case! Mississippi may not have a lot compared to most other states, but traffic issues are few and far between. I live about 17 miles from work. It takes me an average of 20-25 min to make the commute :****: Our state's population is estimated at only 2 million, the majority confined to 5 areas of the state, Southaven/Tunica, Tupelo, Jackson, Hattiesburg and the gulf coast region, which is still in a state of who knows what--following Katrina. Rural = open roads, light traffic and we do have some nice twisties, you just got to be a local folk to know where to find them! ;) Any forum member who decides to ride the Natchez Trace, let me know in advance, I'll meet you on the Trace around the Clinton or Raymond, MS area, buy you a cup of Java, will give you some time to stretch your legs. We just nice country folks down here (No banjo music--now people--be nice!!) If anyone is into Civil War history, I can and will be happy to show you around Raymond MS, that is where I live and it is also adjacent to the Trace. There were a couple battles fought there, the Battle of Raymond and the Battle of Champion Hill. The Union troops led by Gen. Grant began their march to/for the seige of Vicksburg by way of Port Gibson, MS, their land route took them through Raymond. The courthouse served as a hospital for both North and South wounded troops, there are several antebellum homes, yadda, yadda, pardon me--I'm kinda into that sort of stuff, I'll shut up now :headbonk:

Speeds are higher

Pfffffft...

Hate to disagree, I have travelled quite a bit on buiness in CAL.

Yes the jams in CAL are awful.

But the speeds on the UK motorways (+90) plus the tailgating plus the quite common thick fog in valleys with rivers leads to some horrendous crashes
Hell, at least you're moving! ;)

I hate to get off the subject of which country has worse drivers...but,

don't you think the cycle was going a little fast? It seems prudent to always assume the car will pull out and be prepared to take evasive action. In this film's case, the evasive action would probably be an emergency stop (since which way would you swerve, if you didn't know where the car was going?)...

in other words, it doesn't matter who was right or wrong when you're sprawled on the pavement.

OK, off the soapbox and onto the trusty steed....Hi Ho Silver....awayyyyyy!