A proud father's Memorial Day moments

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Official Dumbass
Reaction score
As a veteran, I try to impress upon my kids that for every little thing they get to do without having to think about it, they have someone to thank who gave up their life so that they could be free. I'm not one of those military propagandist-extreme types, I just like to take the one day a year we take to honor those who have died so valiantly and unselfishly to keep our country free and the world free of tyranny as best we can. I don't have anyone in my family to my knowledge who has ever passed in a conflict, but my two oldest kids have a great-great uncle who was killed in France in WWII (I'm told the same battle that was the one in the final scenes of Saving Private Ryan, though the name escapes me).

IMG_2446.jpg

This is my oldest, Timothy Gerard, 13, who gets his middle name from his grandfather Gerard who got his Uncle's name- the one who died in France.

IMG_2509.jpg

This was his first time marching on the color guard as a Son of the American Legion. He did well and was proud as a humble peacock!

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

My daughter, Alexis, marched for her first time as a member of the Ladie's Auxiliary of the American Legion. She is 11 and volunteers at the nursing home with her grandmother. She is standing in front of her Great-great uncles cross on the caisson for the town.

IMG_2488.jpg

Alexis marching with her grandmother, the one waiving on the left.

IMG_2526.jpg

And, last but not least, my little mini-me- Jacob, 8, who marched with his little league team. (Throwing candy.)

I am currently deliberating on returning to active duty via OCS (Officer Candidate School), but am completely torn in two at the thought of putting my family through an almost certain deployment. I have given my country 8 years of prior service as an enlisted soldier, but still feel the draw of a sense of duty. Not looking to put my family through that, but just a powerful reminder of those who have gone before me who had given up everything so that I could raise my family in a free society in a way that I see fit- not told.

May God bless our troops and may they all return home safely- and soon. Please pray for those who have come home wounded, both physically and mentally. The scars they bear will be reminders for generations to come that freedom is in fact not free.

Last edited by a moderator:
May God bless our troops and may they all return home safely- and soon. Please pray for those who have come home wounded, both physically and mentally. The scars they bear will be reminders for generations to come that freedom is in fact not free.
Amen brother !!!

I've said a prayer for wisdom in making this large, important decision

[edit] you might keep the shot gun out or purchase a Mossberg defender now that Alexis the beauty is growing up...well, you know

I have two daughters 14 and 17 and the gun rack for all to see hanging in the den over my La-Z-Boy reclining easy chair.

v/r

Mike

US Navy '80-86 P-3 Airdale O-3

Last edited by a moderator:
As a veteran, I try to impress upon my kids that for every little thing they get to do without having to think about it, they have someone to thank who gave up their life so that they could be free. I'm not one of those military propagandist-extreme types, I just like to take the one day a year we take to honor those who have died so valiantly and unselfishly to
brevity...

m is in fact not free.
follow your heart my friend, it's what u feel that matters. If service is in you, be it. Very compelling story, thank you for sharing with us. Great family! I'm sure they are exceptionally proud of u!

I feel the very thoughts you are having about the pull of duty to our country and the willingness to serve once again. I will pray for wisdom on your decision and for our troops currently protecting our freedoms!!!

USAF E-6 '88-'99

You are right to be very proud of your children, and good on you for teaching them to appreciate those who sacrificed so they could live in a free country. Thanks to you for your service. I've wondered about your forum name, were you Special Forces? My oldest son starts basic next month at Ft. Benning. He is going in as an 18X, to try out for Special Forces. He's 23 years old, married, college graduate and scored a 97 on his ASVAB. Needless to say I am quite proud of him.

Best wishes to you on making your decision, God bless you and your family.

Thanks to all who have served.

Yep, was SF. The average age of the SF soldier used to be in the late twenties, early thirties. As time has passed, the age has dropped and they recently "graduated" a 19 year old from Massachussetts, whose mother I used to work with. It seems more common now that more and more candidates are being allowed into selection even before they have either any experience or have gotten signed up that way. Nothing wrong with it, just a point of note. Good luck to your son, Flyball.