A Question for LEOs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo Igmeister, doesn't your map show which states honor Oregon's CCW, and not which other state's CCWs Oregon honors? (Which Hoss wanted to know) Did that just make any sense? Does a bear actually shit in the woods if nobody sees it?
My bad. First Oregon won't let you pump your own gas and now they don't trust you with permits. Yep, keep skipping that state for gas when I go through it.

Better you do your do diligence than jail time....oh ya.....& up here we'd just kill you with a hockey stick....no gun necessary :derisive: .....but only if you got out of line.... :D .....
Are LaCrosse sticks optional substitutes for hockey sticks?
Yes they are....& the various police forces don't ask any questions....

Well, my bad then. I have always gone by the idea that a valid CCW was a valid CCW. Now I'll have to go back and contact everyone in the last dozen or so years that had one and charge them with something. Oh, wait, I've only actually contacted one person with an out of state CCW. And that contact was because he died and that was part of the way we identified him.

Professional Courtesy = When you are in my jurisdiction, don't let me know you are in my jurisdiction! If you are being an asshat and somehow draw my attention to you, having a piece of paper on you likely isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run.

I am (sorta) hijacking this thread with an idea. Instead of worrying about CCW laws, I think I'll design a farkle that can be assembled from various pieces of hardware attached to the bike. When complete, you drop a single .38 into the chamber and now have a one-shot weapon. Disassembled, it bears no resemblance to a weapon.Whatcha think Skyway???

:)
Like those cool tire pumps in the movie Munich. Good looking girl though - very sad.

I am (sorta) hijacking this thread with an idea. Instead of worrying about CCW laws, I think I'll design a farkle that can be assembled from various pieces of hardware attached to the bike. When complete, you drop a single .38 into the chamber and now have a one-shot weapon. Disassembled, it bears no resemblance to a weapon.Whatcha think Skyway???

:)
Actually, you are a decade or two too late for that. That was big in the 70's and early 80's. Outlaw biker gangs would rig their handle bars to be 12 gauge shotguns. They'd rig a firing pin inside the handlebar, put a shell in and a light blast door (cap) and would have a shotgun readily available through their handlebars. I remember going through training back in the late 80's before the internet was widely available, and we were taught that they were specifically designed to assault an approaching officer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tracked the CCW laws for several years now so I can follow the reciprocity situation for each state I am going to travel through.

When I go through a state with reciprocity with mine (CO), I have my handgun in the tankbag, loaded. When I get to the border of a state that does not recognize my license or doesn't have reciprocity, I take the magazine and the chambered round out and put the gun in one side case and the mag in the other. It is a pain, but I prefer more plush accommodations than can be offered in the local jail.

Another issue to deal with: many states do not permit concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, even if they do have reciprocity with your state. It's a real PIA to take your handgun out of its current location (clothing or tankbag) and switch it to hard bags and keep the whole action out of sight of prying eyes. Still, it pays to go by the rules if you don't want to have a visit with the local constabulary.

Until recently, I made it a point to go around Kansas rather than through it because, until very recently, then had no CCW law and no reciprocity with my state. Of course that means that no motel or restaurant in Kansas received any of my $$$. Their new concealed carry law will make trips east much more easy for me.

Ron

Thanks for all the interesting comments on this subject, and a few not so interesting (take off you hosers).

I still haven't seen the answers I'm looking for, or maybe I'm just missing the point. Will most officers realize that I'm not a threat to society (other than maybe 10 to 15 over the limit) and since I have two state's permits, will they likely tell me to just lock up the gun and move along, or will they lock ME up?

Yeah, I know, not all are the same, but if YOU are a LEO, what would YOU do? UM....no hockey players, please. :dribble:

Thanks,

Charlie

Thanks for all the interesting comments on this subject, and a few not so interesting (take off you hosers).
I still haven't seen the answers I'm looking for, or maybe I'm just missing the point. Will most officers realize that I'm not a threat to society (other than maybe 10 to 15 over the limit) and since I have two state's permits, will they likely tell me to just lock up the gun and move along, or will they lock ME up?

Yeah, I know, not all are the same, but if YOU are a LEO, what would YOU do? UM....no hockey players, please. :dribble:

Thanks,

Charlie
OK, I'm a Fed, not a state or local, but get to work with plenty of each. Let me also start by saying that I have a fine selection of weapons and may not always agree with what gets legislated, but my advice is to listen to Ponyfool.

If you've attracted an officer's attention enough to get pulled over (+10 to 15mph works), and THEN they learn that you have a concealed weapon, and THEN you don't have a concealed permit that their state has reciprocity with, it would be the exception if the officer doesn't have you on the pavement and then you're going to jail. Period. You can eliminate any doubt on this by getting pulled over in places that have strong anti-handgun legislation, such as NJ, DC, or MD.

As for making your own gun in the handlebars or or some other zip-gun, they will be prosecuted as a Federal offense. Once the State is done with you.

Not the answer you probably wanted, but today's reality.

Bob

Thanks,

Charlie
In Illinois it's a felony for uuw(carrying is uuw too!)if it's loaded in your bag. I think as far as what would they do it's really up to how the p.o is. In Chicago they HATE doing DUI's, whereas the suburbs give awards for them(CPD gets nothing btu a hassle and usually a dropped case anyway). So,if you plan on crossing IL state lines, be very careful. As far as my wife is concerned, if you're carrying a loaded gun w/in reach ,then you ARE a threat to her! She says FJR brethren might get a pass but any other bike w/ a gun gets locked up,period.

The exemption to IL law is for transport, and that specifies it must be in a non-funtioning state and not accessible to you. If it's separated in the bags you're cool, if not, you're in trouble. Not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.

P.S

Most cop's in this part of the state aren't too keen on someone w/ a weapon. Downstate might be a little more liberal, but up here, you're pretty much screwed. It sucks, out here the criminals have the guns,whereas the victims are just fish in a barrel.

Last edited by a moderator: