A Ride To The Convenience Store

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old Pilot

Reaction score
This is the first video I've ever taken. Ever. It's also probably the absolute worst vid quality you've ever witnessed.

Some folks I know from Florida were here to visit last week. I thought it was comical when one of them told me the road to my place was frightening to drive, and they were in a car. So, I took this vid this morning to send to them. This is from my driveway to the Subway at the convenience store in Hardy, AR.

Video was taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-L33 that I bought in 2003. 3.2MP. In video mode it records 320 x 240 at 10 frames per second. I mounted it (taped it) on my stem nut Techmount. The view is through my windscreen and it is plagued by vibration, reflections, noise, and evil monkeys.

If you want to waste 8 minutes of your life, please enter.

shift lever busted-off? Sounds like you're cruising at 8000rpm in 1st gear whenever the road is straight!

Nice ride to the corner store and cudos for the improvised on-bike video get-up.

I don't get it. Where's the scary part? And why don't you like to shift?
I did not say it is scary. The flatlander, straight road, Floridians did.

That's a 2nd gear road. No point in going to third for 15 seconds. Keeping the revs up on that road is also a prudent deer encounter strategy.

About 6 minutes into it where you rode through the town, I'm pretty sure I saw Barney Fife and Opie.

I must be a shiftaholic.

You'll need to 'splain the deer avoidance strategy to me. I onviously don't get that one... :glare: (see sig line)

2nd gear...slam the throttle shut...effective engine braking...need to manuvear to avoid...plenty of umph on tap to do so...

hopefully tools/decisions will work :unsure:

geez, even I know all that and I'm a product of New Orleans public schools :rolleyes:

deer-and-motorcycle-on-road.jpg

About 6 minutes into it where you rode through the town, I'm pretty sure I saw Barney Fife and Opie.
:lol: Next time I go to town I'll take a pic of Andy sleeping in his patrol car. I moved here from Baltimore, Md...just a bit different.

I must be a shiftaholic.
You'll need to 'splain the deer avoidance strategy to me. I onviously don't get that one... :glare: (see sig line)
Well, Fred, the way I see it, it's good to have some revs going for me. If I'm gonna hit the binders to stop for a deer, I've got engine braking helping me out. If I think I don't have enough space to stop and a hit is inevitable, then I'm gonna go full throttle and keep the front end up (haven't had the opportunity to test the latter method yet). I may be wrong, but that's how I play it.

whoops, Patriot beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your run to the neighborhood convenience store is way more entertaining than mine.

Mine is 7/10 of a mile and includes 3 stop signs and a RR crossing.

I did have a deer run in front of me this morning.

Fortunately I was walking the dog at the time.

I like the vid. When you go to the store like that do you put the gal. of milk in a Shad case or Givi? :lol:

Hi,enjoyed the video. But where are the Kangaroos, Koalas and Emus

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:
Sorry, mate. Up here we don't have those critters. Suicidal, murderous deer and jumping armadillos are our greatest threats :lol:

hey, in your PM, you mention my videos, which were all filmed with the gopro hero. If you want, I have one complete kit I'm not using. It's the Gopro Hero wide-angle motorsports kit. If you wanna paypal me $100 + shipping, it's yours, including three 2 gig cards, four rechargeable batteries (and charger, of course). Perfect shape, lots of mounting options, suction cup etc... Reason for sale: I just upgraded to the HD version. But for $100 with all that crap, it's an option worth considering.

Below is a clip from me at the track recorded with the camera in question. It's a raw unedited clip, which is why it's all from the one angle. (still haven't dove into editing yet)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts