ABS not working, ABS light works okay, 2004 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, occasionally a real paper FSM will show up on ebay. They also show up for sale here on the Forum too but they go real fast.

The early '04 manuals came in two parts, the main service manual and a second supplemental manual just for the ABS. Sometime during the '04-'05 time period Yamaha combined the two manuals together into one almighty big book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, occasionally a real paper FSM will show up on ebay. They also show up for sale here on the Forum too but they go real fast.
The early '04 manuals came in two parts, the main service manual and a second supplemental manual just for the ABS. Sometime during the '04-'05 time period Yamaha combined the two manuals together into one almighty big book.
Ah. If I have a service manual for non-ABS already, then all I should need additionally is the Supplementary manual, eh?

Ah. If I have a service manual for non-ABS already, then all I should need additionally is the Supplementary manual, eh?
That's it , simple as that. Just like Dorthy getting back to Kansas, all she had to do was just bring the broom from the Wicked Witch of the West.

The ABS supplement was published for only a short period of time. The thieves that stole Yamaha's copyrighted information for the CDs didn't know about the ABS supplement so they didn't steal that too and as a result there is most likely no ABS CD. Since Yamaha has combined the two manuals they no longer offer the ABS supplemental manual separately. Your only hope is that some early '04 owner has the ABS supplement and will sell it. Else, you will need to buy the combined manual.

That's it , simple as that. Just like Dorthy getting back to Kansas, all she had to do was just bring the broom from the Wicked Witch of the West.

The ABS supplement was published for only a short period of time. The thieves that stole Yamaha's copyrighted information for the CDs didn't know about the ABS supplement so they didn't steal that too and as a result there is most likely no ABS CD. Since Yamaha has combined the two manuals they no longer offer the ABS supplemental manual separately. Your only hope is that some early '04 owner has the ABS supplement and will sell it. Else, you will need to buy the combined manual.
There are some supplementary manual on ebay right now. I'll get one.

Manual LIT-11616-17-27 P/N 5JW-28197-11

You are a lucky guy to find these on ebay. They are the correct supplementary manuals.

I bought one. P/N 5JW-28197-11 $14.95 and free shipping. Should be here Thurs.

Got the book, and I understand the system better now,.. but since they obviously intended the abs pump unit to be permanently sealed (not serviceable) there isn't much info in there about what to do with a frozen spool.

I wonder how it is the ABS in my wife's 16 year old SUV still works? I bled the system once about 5 or 6 years ago, but they don't even require that.

Hope you can bring 'er back to life, Bob!
Me too! Waiting to see if you have luck freeing the spool. I will try the heat and tap on the rear on Monday. Exercising the system and bleeding several times after test did not free it up. I know it was working mid-winter as I "tested" the system on the road during a quick ride. Hopefully it will free up.