ABS test coupler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few pics of my '07, location and an alligator clip to connect 2 pins to test ABS -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b4u2kjtylkzzuvd/AAAz_JO84kT1IemSDFBaENiDa?dl=0
I couldn't get this to work on my '06. The connector is exactly the same, and I had no trouble identifying the pins that are connected to each other in the photo. When I turned on the ignition (with the kill switch set to off) the ABS light would not stop flashing. I checked the battery voltage as the Service Manual recommends, and it was fine. Connecting a charger pushed the voltage even higher, but the ABS light kept flashing. I even tried doing the test but nothing happened, as the Manual predicted when the light is flashing. The light went off as soon as I removed the alligator clamp connecting the pins.

The ABS was working a few hundred km ago (I test it occasionally). I could go out and test it again to make sure it's working and to cycle the fluid, then do another brake fluid flush. But I wasn't planning on insuring the bike for a few weeks, and it would be nice to finish the job before cleaning up the mess.

Suggestions, other than a defective ABS unit?
After confirming that the test plug was wired correctly and I was shorting the sky blue and black wires, I went back and tried the first test (which, according to the Service Manual, is needed only if the unit has been disassembled). It worked exactly as described. So I went back to the second test and varied some of the inputs. Turns out it works even if the ABS light is flashing, provided I make a definite pause between releasing the starter button and applying the brakes.

Now I'm wondering is there is anything wrong with my ABS. Has anyone else tried the second test and had the ABS light keep flashing, instead of going out within 2 seconds as the Manual says it should?

Great tip!

Just ordered one from Amazon.

It shows the same part number as in Bryan's video on Youtube.

This, in conjunction with Bryan's excellent how-to video (Two wheel obsession) makes it a snap to do.

Thanks!