Absolute waterproof overpants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any true waterproof overpants w/ decent protection that a mere mortal can afford? Right now, I am about to throw the extra money required to get a pair of Aerostich Darien pants.

I have just received & tried on what I thought would be a great pair of pants... The First Gear TPG Overpants. Soon after I fiddled around trying to wear these things, my high hopes for them were deflated.

There has been a thread going on about these particular pants over on an alternate site. I wrote my feelings about the new arrivals. Here is what I wrote:

I just received the pants that are the subject of this thread. When I pulled them from the box my first thought was "wow, these are heavy. Must be well insulated. That's a good thing!"

I took said pants into the ladies room since I'm at work. I've recently dropped a few pounds. Nothing serious... but I have dropped a few. I decided to purchase a size smaller than I used to wear. After all, the last time that I jean shopped, I cheered when I dropped a pant size.

I decided that since these were overpants, I'd go ahead & try them on over my street pants. So, here I go unzipping the waterproof zippers on the legs. I'm going to attempt putting them on over my shoes to see how that works out.

I try sticking my foot in the right leg & it won't go through. Hmmmm, almost feels like the liner is twisted... so, I take them off of my leg & take a closer look. What a huge ass pain the zip out liner in these is. Since the leg zipper only goes to your thigh, the liner actually zips to each side of the unzipped outerpant.

It is an ass pain, but if these fit as well as they look, it'll be minor & the liner will be easier to take in and out once I get used to it.

The liner was not actually twisted in the leg area... but bunched up & would not allow access of my leg. Ok, got it straightened out.

I put them on & close the leg zippers & make note that my boots are NEVER going to fit under these because the legs are tight in the calf area.

Well, maybe it's my jeans. so, I take them & my jeans off & again try the overpants without my jeans. Well, better. After all, I am kinda' sorta' in between sizes. I'll live with it until I lose just a few more pounds. I zip the legs... & think to myself, "boy, I thought that this situation would get better without my jeans. It'll be an extremely tight fit to get my boots on under them."

So, as a last resort, I take the liner completely out & try them on. Lookie, room for my boots!... as they almost fall off of my waist.

Last strawage, these are being returned & I return to the quest for proper overpants that are right for me.

There are things that I could have lived with about these... but the lack of calf room was the kicker.

Away they go back to Newenough, Heidi

So, I return to my question... Is anyone aware of good quality & completely waterproof overpants? I'm having a really hard time swallowing the part about shelling out $400.00 for a pair of unlined Darien overpants... but that is the way that I am leaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Frogg Toggs that are shape fitted for women?

WomensProActionLarge.gif

Hardly a fashion statement ;) but they fold down to just about nothing in size, are indeed water proof, are wind proof, inexpensive and they go over what ever you like. My wife has put lots of miles on her 'Toggs and they are holding up very well.

I don't know about the frogg toggs or the road toads being totally waterproof. They are great but for long distance or a very heavy downpour they came up short for me. While nothing poured through the suit, I was wet along the front zipper. I also have to admit it was raining like hell that day and we got flooded pretty bad. :blink: I was wettest where the suit was pressed against me.

My Tourmaster Venture pants do a good job of keeping out rain, and I carry my Nelson Rigg rainsuit for the real gully washers. Of course in my area of CA we haven't had any real rain for awhile, so I'm relying on my long-term memory here. :dribble:

I am looking for insulated overpants that have a removable liner. Not anything like frogg toggs. Been there, done that. I'm in the market for insulated, armored, & hopefully 100% waterproof overpants.

Thanks for the tip, though.

I'll toss in a good word for Cycleport Kevlar. I got caught in a torrential downpour in Wyoming, and I was bone dry when I stopped. Liner kept all the water out. Tad on the rich side at about a grand a set tho.

Thanks Silent. Trying not to spend my left leg on a pair of pants. Actually, if I had a choice between the Cycleport & Aerostich, I'd probably choose the 'stich since it'd just suit me better for my type of riding.

I am leaning towards a pair of Darien overpants, though. Does anyone have these & can report on the material thickness.

If I am going to spend that kind of dough, I want them to be THICK material.

Heidi,

I have the Firstgear overpants and love them. I did, however, try them on at local shop. Took me awhile to actually find a brand and size that fit nice. I basically unzip the overpants up to the knees and then put my boots on after. I have found putting on the overpants before boots and taking boots off first help with getting in and out of them. This really hasn't been much of an issue for me.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like them. My wife is going to start going on more trips with me, so I'll see what she says when she tries some on later this month.

Dave

I am on my third set of First Gear HT overpants. I have been very pleased with them. The only time they have lealed is when I don't do up the zippers right. The last pair got broken in on Iggys ss1000 in Wa. and trust me it was wet. Warchild described it as being as much fun as a prison rape. I stayed dry.

I've owned the First Gear HT overpants before. I crashed them going pretty fast. Although they did their job ok, I pretty much decided that my next pair of overpants would have a bit more heft to the material. They were a definitely ok pair of pants for sure.... just looking for a little more this time around.

Duster, I usually wear men's gear... so no need to ask the wifey. Men's gear usually just fits better & easier to find my sizing.

I am not small. I'm also not huge, but I'm not small. When I get pants most likely they will be men's.

There is a Cycle Gear near where I live. Maybe I'll go in there & look at their offerings.

Also, there is a BMW dealer not terribly far.

I may just spring for the Darien overpants. I'd really like to put my hands on a pair first b4 slingin' the doe for them. It'll be another week or two, though. They are $100.00 more than the overpants that I just bought.

I'll second the Tour Master Venture, or Venture Air. I wear them, and they have a ladies version that uses the same assembly process. 2-stage liner, first is the waterproof layer, and inside that goes the quilted cold layer. I've ridden down into the 30s with them and was fine. I've ridden rain and been fine, but one time I was not careful about the waistband of the liner, left it flopped a bit, and got the "bladder accident" look.

Removing/installing the liners is straightforward: they zip at the waistline and have a snaphook about calf-high on each leg. The waterproof goes all the way down to the ankle, the quilted not quite so far, but well below the knee. Goes on/off over boots well enough, although there's a bit of tugging front to back involved when ALL the liners are in. Rain liner has a zipper up to mid-calf to clear boots, and outer shell zips open to above the knee.

I have crash-tested my Venture Air pants (my stupid cat thread last April) and I'm still using them. The hip pad could be sturdier but otherwise I'm happy with the lack of injury I received.

I still prefer a rain suit because the shell gets soaked if I rely on the liners, but the liners work.

Buy the size you buy for street pants, they're sized to go over. Most places don't note it, but Tour Master makes these in short, regular, and long lengths as well. I had to get short to fit my girth yet not be walking on the cuffs.

Heidi,
I have the Firstgear overpants and love them. I did, however, try them on at local shop. Took me awhile to actually find a brand and size that fit nice. I basically unzip the overpants up to the knees and then put my boots on after. I have found putting on the overpants before boots and taking boots off first help with getting in and out of them. This really hasn't been much of an issue for me.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like them. My wife is going to start going on more trips with me, so I'll see what she says when she tries some on later this month.

Dave
Gee, sorry Heidi,

I've had Firstgear overpants (heavy winter pants, In summer I wear Firstgear vented pants) over 3 years now and they are still going strong. Warm enough for the deep south and dry in the monsoons of South Louisiana. I've never taken out the liner or undid the pants zippers/velcro closures, etc. I use them as pants, not overpants. I've lost 50 pounds since I bought them and wear a Back support belt under them and suspenders to hold them up. Still love them IMHO. Yes, it's important to get the fly zipper right and properly seal the velcro in the crotch to seal them up to waterproof them from the deluge.

I rarely both to pull on my Frogg Toggs pants anymore unless I'm wearing the vented pants which are far from waterproof.

Bought all my Firstgear stuff from NewEnough, Tonker, & Motorcycle Superstore.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Just my 1.5 cents

I am going to actually take my new pants home & see if we can make friends. I have not actually put them on with my boots. I am just assuming that it ain't gonna' work after my half assed sweat match with these ass pains.

I am going to try it again when I have more time. The suggestion of putting my boots on AFTER the pants are on... yeah, I'll be doing that.

The liner in these things is THICK. Thicker than any other insulation that I've ever had for pants.

Hey woofoo! What's happening man?

The suggestion of mesh pants will be a no-go with me. I have mesh pants for summer months & am strictly looking for winter type overpants.

I think that I might start another thread asking about Darien pants. I'd really rather have Roadcrafter pants... but the same thing goes... the roadcrafter is tight in the calve area.

I bought a pair of roadgear pants over a year ago. been riding in the rain quite a bit,Even the heavy downpour at last years Ironbutt dinner in Jacksonville. Even setting in stopped traffic during the great flood they worked perfectly. Only complaint is no pockets, but thats what my jacket is for right? Only cost about $100, Removable liner with kevlar knees, made of cordura coated material. i love em.

Is this the pair of pants you were searching for some weeks back? Maybe it was someone else and I'm mistaken.

I'll tell you what I told them earlier: I'm a beleiver in my Olympia air glide pants with the waterproof thermal liners. I've not been in a lengthy down pour so honestly can't attest to the harshest of conditions but I have been in them when heading over CO mountain passes in rain/hail/sleet for 30 min or so and they kept me dry. once I was on the other side I stopped and zipped off the outers, then the inners (both have full length zippers), put the outers back on and I was set.

I tried on the HTs and to get them long enough the waist was too big; waist fit sizes and the legs were too short. I'm about a 32x34 in jeans. The HTs also felt really bulky and I wondered whne I tried them on if I'd be able to bend my legs on the bike.

Talked to Keith (or Kevin?) at Olympia person to person and he helped with sizing them for me so I got a good fit. Under $200 shipped to me.

Hope this helps.

Lee

My Tourmaster Caliber pants have served me well. Only drawback....they are way to heavy for most people to wear in the summer months, even with the liner removed unless you go pantless under them. I dont mind it but I think most people would rate them as fall/winter riding pants.

Have used them daily for over a year and ridden in several downpours with no issues at all. They are sized accordingly on the newenough website as well. I'd recommend going with the Tall version no matter what size you get so they dont creep up over your ankles when riding in case you get wet.

Thanks Silent. Trying not to spend my left leg on a pair of pants. Actually, if I had a choice between the Cycleport & Aerostich, I'd probably choose the 'stich since it'd just suit me better for my type of riding.
I am leaning towards a pair of Darien overpants, though. Does anyone have these & can report on the material thickness.

If I am going to spend that kind of dough, I want them to be THICK material.
I'm sorry that you didn't mention this when you were here. I wear Darien's and you walked right by a pair that I've been wearing since 2003. Haven't been wet yet and I've been in plenty of rain. I actually rode to Deluth and tried on stuff......they are great folks! However, now's not the time to go to Duluth.

I'd suggest monitoring the Stich web site and see if you can pick up a pair that way.

Hey Heidi,

I also have a pair of Tourmaster Caliber over pants, and would agree they are to warm for summer. That said, they are very good for cool to cold, and wet weather. They have a sewn in water proof liner (so they don't breath well in summer, but are very waterproof) and a removable insulated liner. Both the pants and liner zip up to the mid thigh(so getting them on over boots is OK but not great, because your boot gets caught on water lining). They have good protection and fit well (although I went a size bigger as NE recommended for over pants). All sippers and pockets have Velcro closures to keep out water.

All in all I would recommend them for cool or wet riding. The only thing I would change on them is make the leg zippers go up to the hip with a 2 way zipper to get into pants pocket underneath.

I have the Calibers (black)for cold & wet riding, and a pair of Fieldsheer 4 season pants & coat (silver) for warmer riding.

I purchased the Calibers a little big, to fit with liner, jeans, and long johns. The Fieldsheer I purchased to fit good w/o liner(for summer) so they are a little tight with liner. If I get caught in rain with FS gear I put my rain gear on over it.

I don't think you can get one pants or coat to fit in all conditions. That is why I have a summer & winter set. The winter set is a size bigger. Also when I buy cloth on line I order 2 sizes and send back the one that doesn't fit, most places are OK with that and if not than they don't get my business.

just my .02 cents

Art

except for July and August all I ever wear are Roughneck jeans from Caballa's. 15 0z. denim,waterproof and windproof liner,fleece lined and priced rite at about $55. Not as heavy as you might think.