Additional Tail Lights on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you happen to have a GIVI top case, (v46) there was a guy on the forum that used to make a very nice light kit for the v46 case. I bought a set from him about 2 years ago and they installed easily inside the case and made use of the four circular reflectors on the top of the case. They are all very bright LEDS and act as both running lights and brake lights. They are way brighter than the stock lights and work fantastic.

If you happen to have a v46, do some searches and see if you can find them. The kits were sold for under 120 with shipping and are super clean installed and work wonderfully. I highly reccomend.

I just installed Signal Dynamic universal 6" light bars on my side bags as additional running and brake lights and they work very nice...I just drilled a hole on the end of the bags for the wires and one on the inside edge of the bag for the wires to run under the seat to the wiring harness where I tapped into the yellow or hot brake wire, with the red wire from the lights and the white wire to the blue running light wire...they are mounted with 3M automotive tape and one of the supplied bolts...they work very good and I have the Kisan tailblazer plug in lights...so the two really look good together on braking.

010.jpg

jimefjr,

Those lights look good. I have a question, though. Are they pointing slightly downward with the angle of the bags on that surface? Does that affect the brightness as viewed from directly behind?

Last edited by a moderator:
BG 99,Do you have this kit or know anyone with it?
I do have the kit, yes. It is currently taking up space in my garage, patiently awaiting installation.

Duane at Premiere Cycle Accessories did a write-up on his installation over in the other sandbox.

BG

Mine:

Image%2004.jpg

I had said from the beginning that I wouldn't get a top case, but after my first four-day trip, I can see where they would come in very, very handy. So I am getting the Coocase S48 Top Case. It comes with additional running lights and brake lights already installed. So that would be two brake lights below the factory lights, the factory lights, and two above the factory lights. That should do it!

9623-500x600.jpg
Ian, what lights are the LED's you have above the license plate. I really like the look of those. I was thinking of something like that and the LED license plate thing from Hyperlites.

jimefjr,
Those lights look good. I have a question, though. Are they pointing slightly downward with the angle of the bags on that surface? Does that affect the brightness as viewed from directly behind?
They are angled down a wee bit and I would guesstimate they loose about 20% intensity in bright daylight...but retain all intensity at dusk/dark.

I think you'd have better effects from just adding GEN-20-R-1157 . I am currently swapping out mine from my V-Strom... they are BRIGHT!

Actually, I have THESE , But I bought them from custom dynamics.

I think i am the KING of this department...

I have this and it is the most intense, Attention grabbing light i have ever seen!

I will grab some video of it tonight for yall.

+1 - That is very bright and attention getting. Me likey.

I read that you can change the flash patterns, right? I'd want it to flash 3 or 4 times fast (like yours) then go solid foir as long as you hold the brake. Is that one of the choices?

+1 - That is very bright and attention getting. Me likey.

I read that you can change the flash patterns, right? I'd want it to flash 3 or 4 times fast (like yours) then go solid foir as long as you hold the brake. Is that one of the choices?
No, It will either strobe real fast, Blink fast, blink slow or steady on.

In some states the LAW requires, that the break lights must have a solid on position at the end of the blinking cycle.

I do like them, I like the hyper light better because they do stay on as running lights, nice install as well. I need to do a video for comparison.

In California, brake lights (either primary or supplemental) are allowed to flash four times in the first four seconds after application, and then must go solid:

Deceleration Warning Lights
25251.5. [c] Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.