Additional Travel Storage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeFJR06

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Trunk along with the Hard Bags and am looking for options on additional storage space or ways to carry additional stuff with me on a long trip. I have thought of a Dry Duffle Bag to strap onto the pillion seat, but just wondering if there's anything else out there I'm not aware of. I know I could take less, but I've tried that and I seem to end up full. The hard bags and trunk just don't hold enough stuff for me.

What's everone else doing when traveling solo or even 2-up as well?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Smoke

I have a Corbin Smuggler instead of a back seat. I don't use a top case, and I travel semi light. The smuggler gives you about 2 gallons of extra storage. More of a big glove box than anything.

Sounds like even a smuggler might not be big enough extra room for you. How about a nice big duffle on your back seat that can double as a back rest when riding solo?

I bought a pretty nice Harley T bag that is about as wide as a top case (actually all around about the same size, maybe slightly larger but not quite as thick). Sitting on the seat would be about as tall as the top case. It holds LOTS of stuff. Would be really nice to sit behind you. Would probably stay put fairly well, even unsecured... if your back presses it against the top case. Has accessory straps to lash it down, though, too. If I needed THAT much storage, I'd put my rear seat back on and then mount my Harley bag. behind me, probably laying flat over the hand hold. But mostly, if it doesn't fit in one side case and my tank bag, I don't need it (with smugger and solo, mind you...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Roadgear Jumbo Hauler is huge and fits great on the bike for long trips.

94large-3.jpg

I think you're already at the solution -- strap a duffle to the pillion. If the bag you're referring to is the Ortlieb Dry Bag Duffel that Aerostich (and others) sell, then +1 from me. I got the large as a door prize at a rally several years ago and have used it often. Doesn't leak a bit, holds a ton, is easy to pack, and can take a serious whupping. The only drawback is if you like lots of little pockets to organize and stash stuff. It's just one big stuff bag.

I should note that I only used it on the FJR before I got a top case. I haven't actually tried both yet.

If you need less space, you might check out the thread on replacing the pillion seat with a tail bag. That looks pretty slick.

The best option would be to learn to take less, but that's not always easy for some people. I know I carry more than I need to most of the time, so your not alone.

If you really need to carry that much crap with you, you could also consider a trailer. Uni-Go is suppose to make a really nice trailer that holds a ton of crap. This should hopefully take care of ANY storage problems you may encounter.

The best option would be to learn to take less, but that's not always easy for some people. I know I carry more than I need to most of the time, so your not alone.
If you really need to carry that much crap with you, you could also consider a trailer. Uni-Go is suppose to make a really nice trailer that holds a ton of crap. This should hopefully take care of ANY storage problems you may encounter.
Uni-Go looks way cool, but I don't know how it compares with conventional mc trailers. Is its cost and capacity comparable?

• Max cargo weight = 100 lbs
  • Cost = $2,200 + hitch
  • ~ $20 per pound of carriage! :)
Cheers!

Thinking about something like this, Smoke.

HPIM0280.jpg

Got the bag fron Galls, Range Pro large size, ran a couple of flat bungees under the rear seat pan to attachment points on the bottom corner of the bag. one big main compartment, smaller pockets on each end. Lots a little stash pockets for what ever.

I have a Yamaha Trunk along with the Hard Bags and am looking for options on additional storage space or ways to carry additional stuff with me on a long trip. ....

What's everone else doing when traveling solo or even 2-up as well?
I solved the problem with a Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer:

FJRTrailer-001.jpg

FJRTrailer-002.jpg

Waterproof and lots of space. Very easy to pack. Just throw everything in and close the lid. Lockable lid so your stuff stays secure. Handling improves too, instead of all the weight packed on the back of the bike its now in the trailer. So the bike isn't nearly as top-heavy. Makes it much nicer in twisties and parking lots.

- Colin

HPIM0280.jpg

Got the bag fron Galls, Range Pro large size, ran a couple of flat bungees under the rear seat pan to attachment points on the bottom corner of the bag. one big main compartment, smaller pockets on each end. Lots a little stash pockets for what ever.
Man, I LIKE that one (I think)! Got a little clearer and closer pic? That looks like it would be much better than my T bag. Me LIKEY! (I think...)

When I need extra storage while traveling solo, I use a North Face duffel (from REI) on the back seat. It holds sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad and a few other items.

I would say this would be your best option if storage is a BIG problem

2001GOLDWING001.jpg

Although this is a pretty sweet solution! Great job Colin!

FJRTrailer-001.jpg

I think you're already at the solution -- strap a duffle to the pillion. If the bag you're referring to is the Ortlieb Dry Bag Duffel that Aerostich (and others) sell, then +1 from me. I got the large as a door prize at a rally several years ago and have used it often. Doesn't leak a bit, holds a ton, is easy to pack, and can take a serious whupping. The only drawback is if you like lots of little pockets to organize and stash stuff. It's just one big stuff bag.
I should note that I only used it on the FJR before I got a top case. I haven't actually tried both yet.

If you need less space, you might check out the thread on replacing the pillion seat with a tail bag. That looks pretty slick.
Yes, I was looking at the Ortlieb. I was thinking the small might be the right size but you have me curious about your large now. Do you think the large is too big to fit across the pillion? I'm also curious on how I could tie it down to the bike. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

HPIM0280.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking! This will go on my list for consideration for sure. Wish it was water proof though. Hate having to carry around a cover for it, but it's not that big of an issue. Did you get a cover for it?

Side note: Looks like we are finally going to get a break here in Central Illinois weather wise. I just may have to take the cover off the bike and fire it up this weekend. It's not seen the light of day since last October! This winter has sucked for riding hasn't it!

Lot's of great ideas guys. Can't afford a trailer, nor have a place to store one, great idea though. I had not seen one on an FJR before, so it was cool to see how they look. A buddy at work got a Uni-Go for his BMW-LT and loves it!

The big blue Starship Enterprise isn't an option for me either.

Thanks for the tips and any others are still welcome!

Smoke

Exactly what I was thinking! This will go on my list for consideration for sure. Wish it was water proof though. Hate having to carry around a cover for it, but it's not that big of an issue. Did you get a cover for it?
Side note: Looks like we are finally going to get a break here in Central Illinois weather wise. I just may have to take the cover off the bike and fire it up this weekend. It's not seen the light of day since last October! This winter has sucked for riding hasn't it!
The bottom of the bag is waterproof, I just carry a big drawstring type garbage bag for the rest of it.

Re: side note, already got the bike in the shop for PM, oil change and tires, pick her up friday, all set for the weekend. :yahoo: :yahoo: