Advice for the pillion?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch for a passenger dangling her legs after a long ride to relieve the numb butt.

My ex was bad for this. First time I noticed was coming to a stop and finding some 'interference' between my foot and the ground. Not cool when your two up on a 650lb bike! Didn't drop it, but I think the hernia fixed itself. She got a bit of shit for that - nicely. Second time (same trip), low speed U turn, damn near busted her leg. That cured the habit quick.

Good advice on the mount and dismount. I've had some passengers, after instruction, put one hand on my shoulder, the other, god knows where, and hoist themselves on the bike using me as leverage, instead of stepping onto it. That'll get your attention REALLY quick.

Some passengers are naturals, others, not so much. A lady friend would fall asleep on me. I could always tell when she was getting the nods though. Little helmet bump, followed by another, followed by another... ehhehe. She was a great passenger though, you really never knew she was there. Every once in a while she help out by pointing out hazards and the eye in the sky. Damn, I'm single again.. I'm gonna give her a call :D

Terri and I have a very different way to mount and dismount than mentioned before. Terri gets on the bike as the rider then pushes herself back to the rear seat and then I get on the front. This is all done from the left, with the bike on the side stand, and me holding the left bar end.

I would suggest a few things to make your passenger more comfortable.

Start out your ride each time at a slower pace and build your speed a little at a time during the ride. Let her know you will only go as fast as she feels like on that day.

Ride very steady and smooth, no quick lane changes, slow down sooner for stops, and accelerate less at take off. Soon she will be asking you why you are going so slow and then you can pick up the pace.

I learned this all by trial and error. mostly error and sore ribs. Now Terri falls asleep on longer rides and her helmet hits mine as she is nodding off.

Hmmm. Not sure if we are allowed to mention other sites. But there's a really good write-up on pillion riding right HERE. Check it out. Helped me feel a lot more comfortable riding with my girlfriend.

Alexi

Tell them that while your stopped at a light or stop sign, don't lean over over hang your helmet covered melon out to look at your shoes. the unexpected weight will throw you off a little. If you plan to ride two up very much, give up on the paint on top of the side cases, it'll be trashed soon :angry2:

I took the MSF course last year and learned a lot. I'm a defensively cautious but confident rider. But the class didn't go into a lot of detail about carrying passengers.
...and for good reason, Barry. Because it's a Basic Rider Course, carrying a passenger isn't taught or encouraged. I personally tell new riders not to even think about taking on a passenger before they've had at least a year of riding experience AND have ridden several thousand miles, including a significant amount of stop and go city riding, on a bike they're familiar with.

Great news that the wife is expressing interest in riding with you. There's lots of great tips in this thread that should make your rides together a lot of fun....the exception being bramfrank's suggestion to "wind her up and drop the hammer" <_< You might want to save that for a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is usually said to have your pillion look over the shoulder in the direction you are turning, but I have found that by telling my passengers that they tend to anticipate corners and start leaning early. I have found that by telling them to pick a shoulder to look over and to maintain that orientation no matter which way the bike leans, prevents that "shifting around" feeling. YMMV.

Others have said it, but it bears repeating, the heavier the passenger, the more different your handling will be. My oldest son has always ridden with me more than my wife or younger son. He is now 16, 6'3", and 210 pounds ( I am only 5'11" and about 195). Talk about a light feeling to the front end (never mind the image of two adult guys on a motorcycle). Everything about the bike changes. Take it easy and be prepared.

Most of all, relax, have fun, and enjoy the company!

John

Others have said it, but it bears repeating, the heavier the passenger, the more different your handling will be. My oldest son has always ridden with me more than my wife or younger son. He is now 16, 6'3", and 210 pounds ( I am only 5'11" and about 195). Talk about a light feeling to the front end (never mind the image of two adult guys on a motorcycle). Everything about the bike changes. Take it easy and be prepared. John
How true! The light feeling to the front end is something to watch for. I've had the front end come up much easier than normal due to the extra weight back there (My wife is a lot heavier than she should be). Takes some of the fun out of the FJR when I can't even come close to using all that power due to wheelies.

Terri and I have a very different way to mount and dismount than mentioned before. Terri gets on the bike as the rider then pushes herself back to the rear seat and then I get on the front. This is all done from the left, with the bike on the side stand, and me holding the left bar end.
I have to use the same method with my wife when the trunk is on the bike (which is almost always when she's going along). She's overweight and not very flexible, so can't swing her leg over the trunk or between me and the trunk. This becomes a problem when parking the bike because I have to kill the bike and put it on the sidestand for her to get off before getting back on to back the bike into it's spot. But life is full of compromises, so if you want the wife along you have to adjust.

I know it is usually said to have your pillion look over the shoulder in the direction you are turning, but I have found that by telling my passengers that they tend to anticipate corners and start leaning early. I have found that by telling them to pick a shoulder to look over and to maintain that orientation no matter which way the bike leans, prevents that "shifting around" feeling. YMMV.
Indeed, I don't necessarily agree with the "look over the shoulder" thing either. She normally rides with her back centered up and against the trunk pad. That way she knows she's parked in the right spot and not moving from side to side. Hands generally on her own thighs, or in her lap if it's cold. She can reach the grab bars quickly and without jerking in a "dynamic braking" situation. She makes every attempt to be nothing more than "luggage" on the back. It must work as we invariably get comments from first time riding friends about how we are so smooth as we grind the Feeger's pegs into a corner :yahoo: . We may be easing up on that too as I've been thinking a lot about "my most valuable piece of luggage" on the back there.

Also, she'll sometimes stretch her legs out straight when we're on a straight stretch of road. DEFINITELY a sign to me that it's time to stop and take a break. Pay attention to your pillion's body language

Indeed, I don't necessarily agree with the "look over the shoulder" thing either. She normally rides with her back centered up and against the trunk pad. That way she knows she's parked in the right spot and not moving from side to side. Hands generally on her own thighs, or in her lap if it's cold. She can reach the grab bars quickly and without jerking in a "dynamic braking" situation. She makes every attempt to be nothing more than "luggage" on the back. It must work as we invariably get comments from first time riding friends about how we are so smooth as we grind the Feeger's pegs into a corner :yahoo: . We may be easing up on that too as I've been thinking a lot about "my most valuable piece of luggage" on the back there.

Also, she'll sometimes stretch her legs out straight when we're on a straight stretch of road. DEFINITELY a sign to me that it's time to stop and take a break. Pay attention to your pillion's body language
Good comments, Bwana. I have also re read the "most valuable piece of luggage", several times and although Marianne is a perfect pillion and I barely know she is there, I will now slow down a bit. After riding since the mid '60s, dirt and street, I guess I have little to prove. Still get great riding thrills solo and so when riding 2 up, I will listen more to my brain as eyesight and reflexes start to lose some of their edge.

I have a patch on the back of my jacket that says:

32203109v2_350x350_Front.jpg

:lol:

I used to say this untill on day when my wife reached around me, down into the front of my pants, grabbed hold and said sweetly, "Now, we're not going to hurt each other, now are we?" Of course the answer was NO WAY!

jim

I used to say this untill on day when my wife reached around me, down into the front of my pants, grabbed hold and said sweetly, "Now, we're not going to hurt each other, now are we?" Of course the answer was NO WAY!

jim

hahah,

Note to self...wear cup next time I ride with jacket.

LOL

The light feeling to the front end is something to watch for. I've had the front end come up much easier than normal due to the extra weight back there (My wife is a lot heavier than she should be).

She's overweight and not very flexible, so can't swing her leg over the trunk or between me and the trunk.
Hmm, in your avatar she doesn't look to be much heavier than a raccoon... :)

The light feeling to the front end is something to watch for. I've had the front end come up much easier than normal due to the extra weight back there (My wife is a lot heavier than she should be).

She's overweight and not very flexible, so can't swing her leg over the trunk or between me and the trunk.
Hmm, in your avatar she doesn't look to be much heavier than a raccoon... :)
Holy thread resurrection Batman! :dribble:

I'm sure Harald will be along in three years or so to answer your retort! :D

RIP 2Wheel Tiger. :(

If we get into a discussion, you mistake it for an argument, and you lose... do NOT threaten to get off (out) "RIGHT NOW!"