Advice needed on Deals Gap area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnySokkoFlyingFjr

Reaction score
Hey fellas(and ladies),

I'm heading to the dragon(my first time) on the weekend of May 11-14. Having never been there before, I'm looking for advice on where to camp, and other interesting stops in the area. Of course I'll be taming the Dragon :dribble: and mastering Cherohala Skyway :bigeyes: , but I would like your input on other interesting roads and destinations in the area.

Thanks in advance, for any help you may be able to provide.

Johnny B)

I stayed in a cabin at Lazy Daze campground in townsend. It's about 15 miles from the dragon. They are an in-town type campground (as much as you can call Townsend a town) They are not out in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

(865) 448-6061

Most of roads around Andrews good motorcycle roads as well as into Franklin NC and on over to Highlands. Watch out for 4 wheel cages when doing the dragon-a BMW auto almost wiped me out a couple yrs ago when the jackass crossed center into my lane-sideways no less. Great ride but I'd suggest ride once moderately to get a feel and then do again at your comfort level.

I stayed in a hotel at the end of the season. Pricing was very reasonable...

Some teasers for ya..

The Cherohala Skyway:

SkywayCurves.jpg

View from the top:

Skyway2.jpg

Be safe and have a great visit.

--G

I've stayed ay both the Phillips Motel and the San Ran Motel in Robbinsville. Both are very motorcycle friendly and rates are reasonable, around $40 a night.

Lots of other options here:

Accomodations

I was there a couple of weeks ago. I spotted a sign for Horse Cove campground about half way between Robbinsville and Deals Gap. It is about a 15 minuite ride through the woods on a paved road to a national campground. Just pick out a campsite and put $10 in an envelope to pay for the night. First come first served. The place was mostly empty when I was there. Very quiet and nice campsites along a creek. Flush toilets but not much more.