Advice Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
I test rode some sport bikes at an event last weekend and learned that I'm missing something, while riding my beloved VStar.

Now I looking eagerly at an FJR but I have a problem; I am 5'2" with a 28 1/2" inseam. Any thoughts on how much the bike can be lowered without undue compromise in the handling? I can get the seat rebuilt and some thick soled boots.

Since it's the wrong time of year to shop, and there are few FJR's around, I haven't had the opportunity to kick the tires at a bike shop.

You advice is appreciated.

Jill

I'd love to hear replies to this also. My wife has an 1100 VStar and loves it except for any prolonged highway speeds around 75-80mph - just wears her out. I've looked at pretty much all the sport-tourers that I know of and all of them have seat heights of at 29-32 inches which make it tough for her to handle. I'd love to find something that would fit her frame - she's 5' 2" also with a 28" inseam. She can handle my Roadstar fairly easily but parking lots and slow speeds on a big bike are something she would prefer not to do.

FJRRocket is going through this now. Perhaps he will reply.

I will say that at 6'2", 200lbs, this bike fits me perfectly height wise. I do not like the low cruiser sitting position, however. The FJR is fairly tall and top heavy with a full tank. You do need a bit of leg muscle anid sure footing to keep from dropping it at stops.

I suppose if I was 5'2", I would not consider the FJR at all. My wife is much taller and can barely keep the FJR upright (with the motor off, she's never ridden it).

A VFR may be a better fit overall as a sports touring bike, IMO. Another great choice is a Yamaha YZF600. Perhaps the most overlooked and underrated bike on the planet, the YZF has excellent handling, FULLY adjustable suspension, shorter seat height, and much less weight to handle at stops. I am positive on a twisty road that one would spank an FJR given equal riders. I know this as I owned one for a few years, and to be honest, wish I still had it...

My wife has a nice shorter stature bike: 1990 Honda Hawk650GT. No it's not superfast, but damn is it fun to ride! We added a windscreen which makes all day rides possible. She's about 5'9" and can flatfoot it.

Sorry if this bursts your bubble. Just trying to be realistic. But it should make sense that a short person should probably stay away from a huge, tall, and top heavy bike, no??

You won't have a problem.

I have a 29 1/2" inseam, and I can just about flatfoot it. The late Canoeboy, a former FJR owner, was 5'4" w/28" inseam and handled it fairly well.

You can easily take an inch out of the seat if you feel you have to, or wait for the '06 w/adjustable seat height.

Hope this helps.

I'm not so sure it's out of the question. The rider skill is a much more important consideration. You can compensate for short legs, although I don't have specifics. I have a 29" inseam, use a stock seat and regular boots. I don't flat-foot it by any means but I'm comfortable on the bike and can put half of each foot down simultaneously. I would expect a custom seat and thick-soled shoes would at least as well, if not better for you Jill.

And as mentioned, it can be top heavy. You need to be more careful than most to keep it balanced. And if you ever ride with a pillion take extra care when they mount/dismount. But again, that's technique not mechanics.

I'm 5'8" with 27 1/2 inch inseams (more important than how tall you are) and I can handle my FJR just fine.I am very careful when picking a parking spot,however!

I sent the front seat to Sargent Cycle in JAX,FL and had then rebuild it to make it lower,narrwoer and move the seating forward. It helped a lot in both "reaching the ground" and comfort.

I too have a 28.5 inch inseam. I ride a 2003 Honda Goldwing and a '05 FJR. I find that the FJR fits pretty well. I'm never gonna flat foot it, but I have found it is not hard to ride it and be happy without lowering it. Heck , I rode dirt bikes for years and there is no way I could even touch the ground on them without sliding off the seat to one side a long way. It's not hard to find a way to adapt. ;)

Jill,

The advice to consider the VFR or 600's is pretty good. They are lighter and easier to handle, not to mention that most are *very quick*.

The FJR is a relatively heavy and tall bike. However, if want the touring features (i.e. bags, electric windshield etc.) the FJR excels in the sport-touring class.

Good luck, whatever your choice.

Tim

I know the drill. I have a 27.5” inseam and have spent large sums of money, over the years, lowering bikes. The FJR is good and bad about lowering. The good, you can get a fully adjustable “drag link” to replace your stock dog bone suspension-connecting link. The 1” or 3” dual option dog bones did not do the trick for me because the 1” position was not enough and the 3” was too much. It seems the right setting to get one foot flat and the other touching the ground is 2” for me. I bought it so long ago; all I remember is that it was a small company in Canada, just north of Washington State. The bad news is that the “drag link” now becomes the lowest part of your bike and decreases your ground clearance to about 3.5”, and that can lead to some rude surprises just going over the curb-driveway hump. The front suspension can be lowered by adjustment, to semi-level the bike. That too is a problem because the steering becomes “mushy”, but still compliant. All I can say is: How bad do you want to ride this bike? If these trade-offs are better than trade-offs with other bikes Go For It.

I'm 5'7" and have a 29" inseam with no problems on the FJR. The '06 comes with an adjustable seat so you might want to wait.

I too am 5'7" with a 29" inseam and i do have some trouble manuevering this bullet. If the ground isn't flat or downhill behind me, forget about backing it up. My friend pulling me is my reverse! I can barely touch the ground with thick-soled shoes on, only the toes go down. My winter boots are better but still not great. So I am extremely cautious about parking and pushing it. I never move it unless I'm on it.

You having only .5" less inseam than myself, so hopefully that will make it ok for you too. But find one, sit on it, find out for sure and then order an 06. I'm hopin to be able to touch better on my new 06 as they lowered the seat height .5".

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Also start workin out your arms - these guys aren't kidding about the top-heavy thing! It's not just your legs you gotta worry about. Alot of upper body strenght is needed! :bb2:

I know that Kasey had her seat lowered and that made all the difference for her. She may be "Go Granny, go Granny, go Granny, go!", and a lovely and nice lady, but she ain't all that buff....just a skilled and able rider. I asked her about her bike and she said she was intimidated until she had the seat done...IIRC, 1/2".

I'm 5'7" and have a 29" inseam with no problems on the FJR. The '06 comes with an adjustable seat so you might want to wait.
Not only that, you can get the "AE" model and have an electronic clutch to boot!

Not only that, you can get the "AE" model and have an electronic clutch to boot!
And the AES has an electric clutch, and electric shift. Sort of like an automatic transmission. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys (and others) convinced me. As long as the bank will give us some $$ to pass along to the nice man, the bike will be mine. It's an 03 and I can touch both feet to the floor at the same time. Some changes are needed for me to ride it, but DH was totally sold on the test ride.

Jill

;)