AE foot shifter removal ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardS

Reaction score
Has anyone taken off the shifter pedal? If so, how did you get the screw that is behind the rubber pad out?

Has anyone taken off the shifter pedal? If so, how did you get the screw that is behind the rubber pad out?
Put one spanner (or wrench if you are American) onto the flats of the screw at the back, then use another spanner/wrench on the flats of the peg

(Click on image for larger view)

(I was too lazy to find the proper sizes, I used a couple of adjustables.)

Unscrew using the nearest spanner wrench tool, just hold the rear one from turning.

Warning: Mama Yamaha used some sort of Loctite on the thread, but they don't mention this in your owner's handbook. It's stiff to turn all the way.

To remove the screw, push the arm to its lowest position, you can then wriggle the screw out.

I would suggest at least keeping it with the bike. Although I only use the finger-flicker, I did once need the foot change after I broke the finger bit in an incident on my previous mount.

Sorry about the delay in replying, only did it today (I prefer the rubber bit in the lowest position, just done it on my new toy).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't very clear on my request. I got the shifter/rubber part off just like you stated (great pic1), but I did that along time ago. I want to remove the metal angled shifter lever that has the 3 shifter adjustments holes in it between your 2 spanners, the part that disappears into the footpeg mounting plate. The bolt that is right behind your small spanner is almost impossible to. That is the question.

I wasn't very clear...The bolt that is right behind your small spanner is almost impossible to. That is the question.
:blink: Mebby I'm missing something here as I don't have an AE, but the lay of the land is similar on my FJR. When I push down on the angled shift lever or push up on the lever all bolts are accessible on my FJR. I've had it off a number of times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry IObeam, look at the top pic. Our shfiter mounting is behind the footpeg plate, and the hardest bolt to remove is the one behind the toe shifter holes, which don't align with the bolt head.

I wasn't very clear on my request. I got the shifter/rubber part off just like you stated (great pic1), but I did that along time ago. I want to remove the metal angled shifter lever that has the 3 shifter adjustments holes in it between your 2 spanners, the part that disappears into the footpeg mounting plate. The bolt that is right behind your small spanner is almost impossible to. That is the question.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I don't think I can help, I've never taken that lever off.

I suspect it's quite a complex task.

There was a recall done on the early AEs, the bracket holding the shift mechanism was beefed up. If someone has the Yamaha instructions for that, it would probably detail how to dismantle sufficiently to remove the lever.

Just had to replace the shifter arm on my AE (don't ask why, damn gravel driveways) anyways I left the rubber boot on so that I could hold the shifter up and then use a socket (think it was a T50 on my '07) and an extension from under the arm, its close but not impossible. Just make sure that you leave the switch attached to the back of the shifter arm, if you need to remove it be sure to mark how they align very carefully its really picky when you need to put it back together. You shouldn't need to remove the switch from the shifter arm the torx bolt in the middle of the foot peg assembly is what holds the shifter on.