AE owners: Silly things you've done

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

networkguy

Reaction score
So, with the ability to shift faster and smoother than a lever could, there's quirks. So what things have you AE owners done that couldnt be done on an A?

I'll start-

First: I usually park in first. So, I come out of wherever I am, hop on, put the stand up, start it and take off. Once out of the parking lot on to the main road, I goose it and go to shift, blip the throttle, hit the paddle with my finger, and eeeeeeeekkkkk still at 5-7k RPM...didnt shift because I forgot to hit the button to enable the paddle shifter :lol: Wasnt expecting that...

Second: Although I live in Phoenix, I ride to work at 615am and it can get a bit chilly at night, so I sometimes turn on the hand warmers in the morning and off when I ride home. So Im on the freeway (in 4th/70MPH, my usual), and realize wow...my hands are hot. So, I reach down to turn off the hand warmers and inadvertantly push the paddle shifter with my jacket and downshift into 3rd with a big RPM jump...scared the crap outta me :lol:

So. Anyone care to add to the list?

I always leave the bike in first gear when parked. So, I got on the bike to let it warm up and then twisted the throttle (just like everyone else).

Only they were in neutral and my bike lunged forward.

I always leave the bike in first gear when parked. So, I got on the bike to let it warm up and then twisted the throttle (just like everyone else).

Only they were in neutral and my bike lunged forward.
The AE does require more situational awareness from the pilot. I've done the accidental downshift at highway speeds and as I watch the tach scream up to around redline I thinking I may have to duck as the pistons come up through the gas tank.

I've done the turn off the hand warmer and downshift thing more than once. It wakes you up every time.

But my dumbest was when I first got the bike. Had it maybe two weeks. I tried to shift into first with the paddle shifter several times with no luck. I actually told my wife I was going to have to take it in to check why it wouldn't shift before I remembered you had to push the button. DOH!

I "thought" my paddles where turned on... Was shifting from 1st to 2nd at approx 6k rpm. Blip the throttle on my way to 2nd (So I think) then WOT. :eek:

Result: Found out the AE can and will loft the front wheel. A little too exciting when you've never done this on an FJR, and it wasn't planned.

Had a good laugh and grin after the heart rate returned to normal ops. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I never use the paddle shifter so haven't had those problems. Wish I could remove the paddles and "on" button assembly.

One uber-cool thing though is to be able to take pictures on the fly while shifting without having to put the camera down, grab the clutch, then pick the camera back up.

Also accelerate away from a stop while waving to folks with my left hand.

Or knocking Beltway toll booth gates out of the way while accelerating out of the toll booth when the EZ tag fails to register

Horn - shifter what's the difference??? :rolleyes: Same result as adjusting the grip temperature. Why'd they put all the buttons on one side???

I think what's already been described are the most common issues with the AEs, I would think most folks would encounter these at least in the beginning of this special relationship. :p

1) Feverish high-pitched finger-flick shift attempts (weeee-weeee-weeee-weee) resulting in overwhelming facial redness. I am so glad it's been nearly a year since I did this last. This is the most embarrassing thing possible, especially when it happens when you leave the parking lot at work with other bikers hanging out and getting ready.

2) Not looking if you left the bike in N or 1....

3) Actually shifting instead of using the horn and vice versa....

Yup, those seem to be typical "brainfarts" while getting used to the "new" system. Certainly for most the learning curve seems to be fairly short. I remember when I bought my '03 it took a few times of hitting the high beam switch while reaching for the windshield adjustment before my thumb understood that on this bike I had "choices" on the left switchgear. All part of the fun of having something new I guess.

Came to a stop to adjust my throttle rocker. Not thinking I left the bike in first gear with both feet on the ground. Reached across with my left hand to hold the throttle while I adjusted the rocker with my right hand. Twisted a little harder than I thought with my right hand and the bike shot forward about 2 feet which then put me about 4 feet shy of 4 lanes of busy traffic. That was about as close as I want to come. Managed not to dump it but close, as I had both hands gripping the throttle moving forward, and for some reason, probably because it happened so quickly, kept both hands on the throttle. One of those times when time slowed down.

I never use the paddle shifter so haven't had those problems. Wish I could remove the paddles and "on" button assembly.

One uber-cool thing though is to be able to take pictures on the fly while shifting without having to put the camera down, grab the clutch, then pick the camera back up.

Also accelerate away from a stop while waving to folks with my left hand.

Or knocking Beltway toll booth gates out of the way while accelerating out of the toll booth when the EZ tag fails to register
I never use the paddle shifter either. I think using the foot operated shifter is smoother and (just in case I ever ride another bike with a manual clutch) I would have "foot shifting memory" to rely on. Yes, you all can use that :)

On the grip heater adjustment knob, It is in the worst position on the bike (Out of Site). It is not suprising to hear about rider problems with its location. I do like when I'm at a stop and people are looking and I get to take off without my left hand on the left grip and they appear to have a puzzled look on there faces! Or maybe I am funny looking :(

I'm pretty sure the best response will be......I bought one.

Unless your right hand is a nonworking attachment,why bother? :huh: Motorcycles are complex machines in need of hand love.

I bet you AE owners text while driving too..

:****:

I'm pretty sure the best response will be......I bought one.

Unless your right hand is a nonworking attachment,why bother? :huh: Motorcycles are complex machines in need of hand love.

I bet you AE owners text while driving too..

I also try and keep my Junk company ;) With my LEFT hand :rolleyes:

I guess frequently enough to know I need to "stop that" when I am making a fairly hard (tight gripped) stop at a light after exiting a freeway that I had not initially loosened my grip on the throttle sufficiently when applying the front brake that I still have 200 or 300 rpm extra rolled in. Consequently the clutch doesn't release it's grip until I have pulled up on the reins hard enough to drop the rpm down to the release point. Whoa there big boy.

So the standard "A" model has the clutch on the RIGHT side?

This sounds like a RH observation
Bustanut is from alternate universe where everything is the mirror of ours.

If you people watched Star Trek you would know this.

Here is the alien on his home world...

busta_alien-L.jpg

I did a test ride on a Sprint GT the other day. At this dealer you follow one of their guys. We pull out of the parking lot and head down the street, Im a bit behind him.

He pulls up to a stop sign, pauses, and takes off.

I pull up to the stop sigh, pause, .... the bike lurches and dies!

I forgot that these antique bikes have that silly lever thing.

Done the horn/shift thing, now I up-shift with the paddles and down-shift with the foot peddle. I also park in first. My routine when starting the bike is key on, activate electronic shift, paddle it to neutral, then start (I keep the kick stand down the whole time and "gear up" as the bike warms). This way I don't ghost shift at 6k rpm. Did that a few times when i first got it.