AE Owners Speak Up - Please!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANKS AGAIN ... for everyone's input. My friend is on the way to Florence, SC to try to make a deal on the '07 they have on the floor... He will be armed with the good information ya'll guys provided plus other information I was able to get with the references ya'll gave me.

Its a great bike for his situation. I put 15K on my '06 AE last year. I'm 6' 8" and bad knees. No real complaints with space. Probably look at a larger wind shield for cold weather riding. This is my third FJR so I knew what I was getting with rider comfort.

I haven't had any problems with low speed maneuvering. Not sure what others are doing that make it difficult. Give it gas it goes, shut off the gas it stops. I don't like using the thumb shifter, made me feel like a dumb shifter, always hitting the wrong buttons.

Bike is easy to handle with hand on the handlebars. Getting off the center stand is easy. I'd recommend parking the back wheel on a block to make it easier to get on the center stand.

You should be able to do better on price.

There are closed auctions for an '07 on ebay for $9999 and an '08 for $10999. Doesn't look like they sold them. Several others for same price range.

And there is a '06 with 2600 miles in GA for $7700.

ebay - '06

Be happy to answer any questions you guys have.

Brian

I've got an 07 bought last October, and like it a lot. The auto clutch takes about 10 minutes to get used to, and it works Great! :yahoo: Would I buy one again? Absolutely! Is the price you've got a good one? NO-I bought my new 07 for 10,900 4 months ago :yahoo: Check around-for 12,500 he should be getting "close" to an 08 holdover!

* How will it fit a rider 6'2" ?? I am 5'10"

* Is $12,790 a good price for a new left-over 2006 model? Too high

* Any issues/problems that are specific to the '06 AE model? 08 mine

* Any "downers" on the '06 FJR that might apply also to the AE model? (I've already read a lot of the "ups" on the FJR ... I'm just looking for anything my friend may need to look out for") --------------------

* Is smooth shifting a problem? Mine shifts very smooth and I don't find it a problem at all!! :rolleyes:

* What about slow speed manuvers? My reply is like others. Correct throttle use when doing tight u-turns when parking in front of my house. Tend to prefer left turns so left foot available and right in on brake if needed.

* He's been riding bikes for 50 years .... any comments on the transition from clutch to AE; learning curve, etc.? Learned mine while leaving dealer lot. No test drive needed. Dealer didn't show me the paddle on/off button so used foot shift for the first half hour. Love the paddle shift, though, almost exclusive use.

p.s. to other comment. Primary color for 08 is Granite Gray. Against the silver accent color, it looks awesome on tank and other spots. Actually thinking of using some of that color for a shop project so will need to hit the auto paint supply house to get color code.

I have an 06 A model and a Burgman. I learned on the Burgman to use throttle control so when I tried an AE, it was real nice. Like others have said, 10 minutes of warm up or so and you are good to go. Practice the slow speed stuff in a parking lot until you get the throttle control down and I bet he won't look back. And as other have said, the price is too high. Around here the dealers will deal from ask price. AEs on the move are no different than an A model. In traffic, I actually prefer an AE after a bit.

FWIW: I have 27k on mine and will buy another AE when it's time to trade in. Believe $12,790 is a little steep for an 06'. You could probably get an 08' for that price with a little patience and travel. "sullivan's" got the answers right.

:beach: gitterdan

Bought a new 2007 AE last October, and managed to get about 1400 miles on it before temps here in Indy fell below freezing. Put a couple hundred on in the last two weeks. Absolutely love the Electic Shift. Would definately buy again.

UPDATE ......

Heard from my bud yesterday. He did the deal for the AE in Florence, SC. Hopefully we'll head down that way and pick it up next week. He's currently in Daytona.

............ and to think that I thought $12,790 sounded like a great deal! :huh: He wound up getting it for $11,500 and he's happy with the deal - that's what's important! :yahoo:

Thanks ..................................

QUOTE (Hevnbound @ Mar 4 2009, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UPDATE ......

... and he's happy with the deal - that's what's important!
yahoo.gif

What's really important is that he's happy with the bike
rolleyes.gif
- I'm sure he will be.

Give him our congrats, and post some piccies (they all look similar, but we love
wub.gif
to see more
tongue.gif
).

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my AE, two track days and 30Kmiles later

Slow speed is different.. but just takes practice then it is a no brainer.....

Good call

i am a shave over 6 1" and not a small boy.. I got a taller windscreen. all set!!

Last edited by a moderator: