AE Review online

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only real concern I have at this stage with the AE is reliability.

Will it be trouble free once a few miles are on the clock?

I guess time will tell but no doubt it will be expensive to repair.

Wow, those who don't know are missing out. Had lots of bikes, Road 4 times as many. Am an aggressive rider and the AE is the best invention yet! Best purchase ever, Gets smoother every time i ride it, no clutch model can ever shift as fast. As for parking in gear, just as any other. Put bike in 1st and turn key off, about 10 seconds later the computer relises the clutch and it dont move. Now this is an added anti theft or tamper feature because without the key or special knowledge of how to get it out of gear, which you can get out of the owners manual, it cant be moved.

Get this clear I LOVE MINE AND I WANT TO SHOUT IT FOR ALL TO HEAR !

Banzai.
Great points. Of course if someone wanted to steal it, they would. In the big picture, everything helps if it's a deterrent.

Thank you all. The AE it is then.
With any luck I will have mine by the end of the month. I was talking with a guy in CA about getting his 06 model, but he backed out at the last minute. So, I am looking again.

Ride them both, and pick the one that YOU enjoy the most. Isn't that all that matters in the end? B)

Ride them both, and pick the one that YOU enjoy the most. Isn't that all that matters in the end? B)
I have given both of them a ride. My concern was I would not enjoy the AE long term. After reading the reviews which started this post it seemed the writer enjoyed the AE when he wrote the introduction article, but did not enjoy it much as time went on. However, with the positive feedback here I am going to stick to my AE choice.

So, for those of you with AE models would you purchase the A or AE next time?
I think it depends on where and why type of riding you plan to do.

For Los Angeles traffic (stop-n-go), I wouldn't want anything but my AE.

However, for longer rides on the weekend, the A might be the better choice - especially for riding twisty roads.

All-in-all though, I'd still take my AE over the A.

Check out motorcycledaily.com,,,,they have spent more time on an`06 AE and reevaluated the machine. I`m afraid, it ain`t pretty. :angry2:
Hey folks we are all "RIDERS" of one of the best overall motorcycles ever produced, IMHO, any disagreements with this?? I am one of the FJR community that is fortunate enough to have both an 05 non-ABS and the 06 AE.

I read both of the motorcycledaily.com articles on the AE and I have to say it is a very "SUBJECTIVE" review of the electronic shifting which has a lot of the same attitudes I have on the differences between my 05 and 06 AE. I personally have found my AE to be less smooth in low speed riding and stop and go than the 05. I accept that for me there is definitely more control of engine rpms therefore making for a smoother slow and stop and go riding.

I have done the mods to the throttle spring and added the G2 throttle grip which has somewhat smoothed out low speed manuevers. When riding the AE, it does take a bit more attention to throttle and braking to make for as smooth a ride as the 05. IMHO, the difference is the ability to slip the clutch with the 05. Nothing more or less. For me the AE is more fun to ride in the twistes as it does offer near instaneous control of upshifts and downshifts thereby requiring less braking in the really severe twisties than the 05.

I have developed a procedure to help smooth out quick accelerations on the AE by using the front brake to hold the bike in place while engaging the AEs clutch at speeds above the normal 1200 rpms. This allows by releasing the front brake a very rapid launch which I think is faster than the 05.

These are just my thoughts on the AE vs. A qualities. Both are fun to ride and I am glad to have them. I made a decision to get the AE and I do like it and always will. I do not feel like a wimp for riding the AE anywhere!!

I owned a BMW M3 with the SMG transmission and currently own a Ferrari 575M with the F1 transmission. As you might imagine the same debate rages within their respective communities. My FJR AE operates pretty much the same way the cars do with one big exception - you cannot engage neutral "on the fly". I broke a valve in a Honda CB350 while cruising at 60 mph and it sure was nice to be able to hit neutral right away.

Having said that, I still like the AE technology as implemented by BMW, Ferrari and Yamaha. (not bad company for Yamaha to be in, by the way). Being a relatively new concept people naturally tend to compare it with what came before, and that inevitably leads to concerns where it is inferior or not clearly superior. That is just human nature.

I like to put the shoe on the other foot: suppose AE/SMG etc. had been the norm since the origin of motor vehicles. What would people be saying about the first attempts at a conventional clutch?

I think that at this point each system has strengths and weaknesses and neither one is always better for every vehicle or every driver or every situation. I am glad we have the choice, and given that the new systems are reasonable alternatives to a system that has been around for over 100 years and is pretty much perfected, it speaks well for the future of electro-hydraulic manuals.

Dick Fogg

And yes TruWrecks, you can park with the engine engaged and yes,.....................it is a secret.Bryan
And the secret is divulged in the owner's manual.

I too would keep the AE because of the smoothness and speed of shifting. I don't think anyone knows how many AEs were sold in the US this last year but I've only seen 1 for sale on the used market.
Hmmmm... maybe someone should start an AE SERIAL NUMBER thread!
As I have written several times, I LOVE MY FJR1300AE! Everyone who makes negative comments about it seem to fall into 2 camps:

1) They have NEVER tried a FJR1300AE

2) They NEVER will try a FJR1300AE because it is different.

I hope Yamaha continues to refine the AE as I would definitely purchase another one when the time is right.

Best Regards,

Shane

Shane,

thats right !

Personally I would not have a bike which reminds me of all those little scooters with no CLUTCH !!! <_< <_<

I can see no way as long my my left hand and fingers are able to operate !!!!

So for me it is the OLD FASION STYLE MC thats conts ........

But, if YOU like it, I'm in no position to argue.....

The only real concern I have at this stage with the AE is reliability.
Will it be trouble free once a few miles are on the clock?

I guess time will tell but no doubt it will be expensive to repair.
I had a 5 year warranty added to my AE for that very reason. I did about 300 miles on her today and I must say that I am more in love with her today than I was when I bought her. I would not have bought this bike if it were not for the AE. I had no idea I wanted it until I rode it and then I had to have it. I am really glad I did not get the BMW GT now... The only issue I am having with the bike is the seat. I want a new Rick Mayer Seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The clutch seemed to engage and disengage rather abruptly, preventing stops as smooth as I normally experience, and also preventing acceleration from a dead stop that was smooth and progressive in the manner delivered by a normal motorcycle with a clutch that can be slipped by an experienced left hand." 2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE: MD Ride Review, By Dirck J. Edge

300 miles on her now and no lurching at slow speeds. The more I ride, the more I love this bike. I have had the clutch disengage slower than desired from a standstill, delaying my acceleration, usually in second gear. Expecting this to become less of a problem as more miles add on and after a couple of oil changes...