AE to A downgrade?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoldrum

Reaction score
Hi. Still trying to replace my totalled 06 A. Have been unable to find an 06A or 07A in the Wisconsin area that does not cost more than my insurance dollars (and much more than I paid last year). However, there are a few dealers "stuck" with AEs that are very anxious to get rid of them and are less money than the A.

I was and still am uninterested in the automatic clutch as it seems unecessary, and it sounds like low speed finesse is very hard to master. Lack of interest has made quite a bargain out of the beautiful Silver FJR with heated grips, etc.

In additon to having an override that moves from touch shifting to a foot gear shifter, it is too bad they did not have a traditional clutch override also.

Has anyone on the planet tried a downgrade with the addition of a manual clutch?

Just wasting my winter away so have time to ask stupid things like this.

I think someone wrote a book about this? "If I did it? This is How!"

Oh, Wait that was OJ..... :yahoo:

If it's not to hard you could probably aquire the parts on ebay from a bone yard special.

jw

kingoldrum,

If you do end up with an AE you should give it a chance and see if you can get used to it before starting on a conversion project. I have an AE and find it a lot of fun speed shifting back and forth through the higher gears. True, it takes a while to learn to ride smoothly at low speeds but it can be done. Also once the clutch warms up rolling off from a stop improves. I ride in an area that has heavy traffic and for me the AE's shifting really helps.

I think as people pick up the surplus AE's for the discounts they'll find that it actually works pretty good and can be a lot of fun. Just pretend your an F1 or rally driver B)

Already asked and discussed here.

.....I didn't think it would be easy to find with A and AE as search terms that wouldn't work, but it took less than 2 minutes using +clutch +parts in the Search area!

I looked at this because there are so many good deals on the AE's that are sitting at the dealers. At a very high level it does not seem that difficult since the underlying mechanics of both bikes are the same.

1) add clutch cylinder and assembly after removing computer controlled clutch actuator - more difficult

2) remove shifting computer and put a manual shift lever on - easy

I don't think you'd even have to replace the ECU...the new bike would however maintain it's existing shifting pattern of neutral followed by 5 up. Just make sure you don't downshift past 1 into neutral and stall the bike while in the middle of traffic :eek: ) I doubt you'd see Yamaha endorse it though because of this very fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
kingoldrum,
If you do end up with an AE you should give it a chance ...
+1, get the AE, put 1000 miles on it. if you wanna convert after that -> follow iggy's link to that thread, and post the pics of your conversion!

I would get the AE if they are cheaper, in OZ they are $2,000 more.

Must say I love the AE, doesn't take too long to get your head around slow riding.

Dude, this would be a HOT project. Hell effin' yes - if I had one, I would go for it.

You need to tee in the clutch line. Check valves are probably needed as I don't know how the actuator or the master cylinder will respond with pressure on the line created by the other.

Second, and this is harder, tie in a manual gear shift. The gear spindle is the same, you just need to get torque on it so creating a dual bearing shift arm would be in order. Not rocket science by any means. In fact, if it were me, I would ditch the electronic foot gear shifter anyway. Use the hand grip only when in "Automatic" mode.

Then, you should be able to shift manually or automatically. The YCCS computer may balk, but I would try it first then figure out how to temporarily disable that ECU if it does.

Now THAT would be awesome, and THAT is how Yamaha should have rolled this thing out. Putting people in a box is the Japanese way, not the American way, and as occurs frequently across these cultures, they missed it, and let good technology fall away due to failure to understand the audience.

I think this is absolutely the next frontier. Someone on this board should definately pioneer this, then post pictures and instructions how they did it. Its the FJRForum way!!

-BD

Some of you have thought about this much more than I, and appear to be more qualified to do so! Would be a shame for me to ruin a perfectly good AE and miss all of the 07 and 08 riding seasons trying.

One thing that caught my eye was BrunDog's comment that the foot shifter was also just an electronic switch. I guess it must emulate the feel of a standard shifter? If so, instead of all the teeing of hydraulics and etc, how about a rheostat "hand clutch" that emulates the feel of a hydraulic one, but just plugs into the pump the automatic clutch computer must interface to?

Already asked and discussed here.
.....I didn't think it would be easy to find with A and AE as search terms that wouldn't work, but it took less than 2 minutes using +clutch +parts in the Search area!
Jebus! That's some circular thinking, dude! I can just imagine some of your late night collegiate conversations. Me thinks, perhaps, some sort of dried plant was involved, too. ;)

Hi. Still trying to replace my totalled 06 A. Have been unable to find an 06A or 07A in the Wisconsin area that does not cost more than my insurance dollars (and much more than I paid last year). However, there are a few dealers "stuck" with AEs that are very anxious to get rid of them and are less money than the A.
I was and still am uninterested in the automatic clutch as it seems unecessary, and it sounds like low speed finesse is very hard to master. Lack of interest has made quite a bargain out of the beautiful Silver FJR with heated grips, etc.

In additon to having an override that moves from touch shifting to a foot gear shifter, it is too bad they did not have a traditional clutch override also.

Has anyone on the planet tried a downgrade with the addition of a manual clutch?

A bit off topic, but if you can't find a comparable used '06A for what the insurance carrier is willing to pay you for your totaled bike, you need to tell the carrier that it has to up the ante. By definition, your old bike was worth what it costs to buy a comparable used '06A and the carrier has to pay you that much (less deductible, of course). Don't forget to add in any sales tax and license, too.

Bill

Downgrade??? Downgrade??? The hell you say! :)

I remember a while ago, someone posted about how a dealership swapped all the colored parts off an '06A and put them on an '06AE, thus giving the ability for the dealer to offer a blue AE and a silver A.

Here's one in Rochester, Minnesota:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=18401&hl=

My 07 1300A went in for a 1000km service yesterday. They gave me an 07AE for a ride to stop me getting to bored (I was really hoping for an R1).

What a load of fun I had. Hit the horn the first few times instead of the downshift (which in consideration is not a bad thing...think about it). The downsfifts are awesome, and the upshift under full power are brilliant. The dealership said they tried it out when they first arrived last year. Revved it up to 6000rpm, then popped it into 1st...reaction was all smiles from the boys...one of them is the state's best SBK rider. They thought the system was brilliant.

Anyway...found it very easy to get used to...although occasionaly I would reach for the clutch...and do my best Homer Simpson impersonation.

However, I digress. Having tried the YCCS...I would definitely not be disappointed if the dealer was going to offer a cheaper price compared to the normal config.

I say grab it...what a bargain!