Aerostich Darien Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Looking at overpants & would like opinions on the actual material that these are made of. Does the cordura have some good heft to it?

I've previously owned Firstgear HT overpants. I crashed them awhile ago at a good clip & decided that it is time to replace them with proper overpants. The HT's were somewhat protective & they did do their job but decided that when I replaced them, I was going for thicker material.

I'd love to have Roadcrafter pants. I have tried on the size Roadcrafter that fits me in the waist & is way too tight in the calf area.

The Darien is supposed to be cut more like a pair of jeans & should not have the tapered legs... so, that is what I am looking for more info on.

Appreciate the help, Heidi

I have a pair of the darien pants .Mine are straight legged (no taper) but they have velcro strips so you can adjust them tight around your boots.Hold up well in the rain but I've yet to test them in a crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever put your hands on other brands of overpants? Do you know how the material stands up to these? I am hoping to find some overpants with heavier material than my last overpants.

Have you ever put your hands on other brands of overpants? Do you know how the material stands up to these? I am hoping to find some overpants with heavier material than my last overpants.

I don't have the Darien Pants but I do have the Aerostich AD1 pants. They fit very well and are supposed to be made of a heavier material than the Dariens.

I did try the Dariens, but the cut was all funky for me including knees at the wrong position, and I returned for the AD1. It's my understanding that the AD1 are supposed to be the second generation of Darien pants. The material seems hefty and the backing nice material....it took a while to break them in.

Between the pants my Darien jacket I feel like I could run down the sidewalk, jump with hands first, and bounce off the pavement without hurting myself.

I didn't order the hip pads, but am considering getting them this season. Now that I've gone Stich and can't imagine anything else.

I'll echo the good things others have already said about the Darien pants. They are all I've worn since moving away from chaps in my older riding days. In the summer I only wear LDComfort riding shorts under them. As it moves to cooler weather I have a pair of LDComfort tights I put on. And in really cold weather I have a pair of REI fleece pants that I wear under the Darien's. I never wear jeans under the Darien pants, it's just too bulky.

I've spent many a mile riding in the rain and have never got wet (I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket). After wearing the Darien's for about a year I purchased the protective hip pads for them (they install on velcro strips that are already in the pants).

If I find any extra money later this year I'll be purchasing the newer AD1's and selling my regular Darien's, just because the AD1's have some nice new features, such as flaps on the pockets and a gussetted crotch, which I think will make the fit better.

Ltr,

I see you're in Norfolk and I know it gets hot over there. You might consider looking into kevlar Motoport/Cycleport gear (Toe? Toe? Are you out there, Toe?!?). I've had a 2 piece Roadcrafter for years and have recently switched to Motoport. Don't get me wrong - I love Aerostich, but I've been mixing and matching and I find I almost never need the RC pants. If my legs ever got cold I assume other things would fall off (even with grip heaters and a vest). As for the rain, I've never had a problem with the MC pants even without a liner - probably a function of the FJR's fine weather protection.

I don't do the miles that some of the forum members do but I've been in some serious rain (in your neck of the woods, in fact) and not had a problem. Even if I did get wet, the comfort in warm weather is worth it for me. As with all things - YMMV. Good luck!

I was not aware they the AD1 is supposed to be heavier material than the Darien. I'll need to take a gander at those. Please, any suggestions, write them down here.

Fjr Vfr, I am not looking for summer gear. The next overpants that I buy will be dedicated winter overpants. If there was a giveaway of the two brands, I'd pick the Aerostich. I feel that it will suit my needs much, much better.

That said, I'd love to have a set of Cycleport gear. But for my immediate purpose, a 'Stich fits the bill. going to look at the AD1.

Heidi

Please, any suggestions, write them down here.
I've owned (still do) one pair of cordura pants - Tour Master Calibers. This is the last piece of black motorcycle clothing I am going to own. I saw some nice oranges and grays at NAFO, seems like they have to be cooler.

Beware, light colored gear is a dirt magnet. I am again buying black because I am tired of washing my gear since I only use tech wash.

Only took me once of buying light colored gear. Never again... well, at least my pants.

Beware, light colored gear is a dirt magnet. I am again buying black because I am tired of washing my gear since I only use tech wash.
Only took me once of buying light colored gear. Never again... well, at least my pants.

And if you're looking for warmth, then black really is the best color anyway.

Well that's just not good news at all; thanks for the advice!

I've had a pair of AD1 pants for 20,000 miles now (almost 1.5 years) and love them. They are a very heavy material that is stiff initially, but break in nicely. I washed them a few times in a row in my front loader washer to speed up the breakin process. I wear them over blue jeans daily and feel very comfortable in them. Lots of riding in rain (including heavy downpours like this morning) and never any leakage. And they keep my legs warm even when temps dip into the 20's.

Can't comment on actual crash protection because luckily I haven't tested them. But I feel very confident they will do their job. I did add the optional hip pads and that is part of why I feel confident in their level of protection.

I wear the pants (along with a Darien jacket) almost all year. Because the pants don't have any venting, they get too hot when temps get into the 90's but that is rare here in Seattle. So for those hot days I have some mesh pants with knee and hip pads.

I've owned a ton of gear over the years. My Darien pants are coming up on their 10 year anniversary and remain the single best piece of gear I've ever owned. 1000% waterproof, all the time, on any bike. They fit like jeans and wear like iron.

You can't beat the Darien (or AD1) pants IMHO. And remember - Friends don't let friends wear gear that requires a separate liner to be waterproof.

Black pants and a conspicous jacket for visibility.

jim

Ahhh, just saw this post about the sale. Too late, I already purchased a pair a couple of hours ago. Shipped to my door was under $50.00 more than the First Gear pants that I was previously considering. Pretty much a no-brainer for me.

Did you know that tayloring is not available for this style right now? Not sure why but it ain't... 'cause I asked. I have no desire for the velcro on the legs to use as a map pocket. I asked to delete it & was told that valuable info. I consider that map pocket velcro a waste of a feature & velcro.